Better Blogs [Deleted]

i haven't bought this yet, but i was thinking, as a suggestion, you should make it so when someone creates a blog, they can name it! that way it shows up as 'whatever i named my blog' instead of 'jon doe's blog'.

i think that would be pretty cool.

I am out until early Jan, so other than bug fixes, I am not introducing new features until then.
So I'm still looking at having those 2 bugs I reports. I guess the visual bug is the most pressing since it's something your members end up experiencing.

If you're unable to correct it, as I gather you're not exactly key on template designs.... Maybe you can hire @Shelley or @Russ to figure out the issue.

It is after all something that also affects your site as well

Here's the thing that scares me about an add-on like this: What happens if Xenforo comes along (as they probably should) and adds blogging functionality to the product? Where will that leave those people who have paid for this resource, which I assume is not developed by (or supported by) Xenforo?

For those of you who develop this and/or use it, how do you answer this question internally?

No other addon on xenforo.com does vanity urls. Rigel worked very hard on vanity urls and his effort shows. That feature alone is worth it.

No other addon on xenforo.com does vanity urls. Rigel worked very hard on vanity urls and his effort shows. That feature alone is worth it.

What is a vanity URL? Never heard the term.

Aside from that, though, and not to be disrespectful, but the issue of vanity URLs really doesn't answer my question. What happens when/if Xenforo implements a blogging feature?

What is a vanity URL? Never heard the term.

Aside from that, though, and not to be disrespectful, but the issue of vanity URLs really doesn't answer my question. What happens when/if Xenforo implements a blogging feature?
Have you ever been on a site where your profile page url is for example, http://xenforo.com/jauburn or http://jauburn.xenforo.com ? If your on Facebook, Tumblr or Twitter, your profile page is a vanity url. The call it multi-domains in Wordpress. Most people do not remember the url of their page which means they are less likely to share it. Vanity urls help people share links to their page easier (which in turn helps SEO).

Even if Xenforo creates a blog software, it's less likely they'll implement vanity urls. They don't have vanity urls for blogs or profile pages on the other forum softwares unless you get it through a third party addon. It's features such as vanity urls that make forums still relevant because the urls can be easily shared. If your out and about and you want someone to check out your page, all you have to do is tell them the url. You can't do that when your url is http://xenforo.com/blog/members/jauburn.9068/ If you say "Check out my page at jauburn.xenforo.com dude" they might remember that.

Hello,

How would I change the Blogs nav menu tab text from Blogs to Blog? I tried changing this in the phrases, but it did nothing. Also is there a way to remove the "Create Entry" blue button as I want to be the only one making blogs this does not need to be seen by guests.

Issue:

The max edit time does not carry over for blogs (for now, I've turned off editing)

Reason for needing this:

1) Because it really does hurt the site if someone goes back over a year and goes on mass delete / edit spree

2) Spam (see above explained in #1)

3) Abuse -- Also part of #1, but let me go into details

Someone had posted a blog post that more or less talked about feeding the homeless and helping children in need. Of course everyone responded with positive reviews on this blog post and agreed with this person's point of view.

This individual then changed the blog post ... 6 months later, when most people had long forgotten about it and it made it look like everyone was agreeing that child abuse was an acceptable form of punishment. :eek:

Please address this issue. Thanks.

In the list of features it includes:
"Global RSS"

For lack of integration into the new posts or recent posts I have considered including it via a feed using "registered feeds" however I can't find a global rss anywhere. Sure each individual blog has an rss but where is the one that is listed in the features that is an rss for all blogs? I can't see it anywhere nor on the demo site.

OK for the lack of a reply here, if anyone else is wanting to do this and also doesn't have the advertised feature of "global rss" and also has no response here as to why then this is what I have done. I will have to edit as more blogs come online but it does work.

Use a rss aggregator like rssmix.com and put all the individual rss's into that. Then use that as a single rss source to feed into the "Registered Feeds" option in your admin and post them into a forum. This way they will appear in the "New" list in your forums and get higher visibility. I left them as "closed" threads so the comments go into the blog themself and the post is just a feeder to the actual blogs.

If there is a cleaner way to achieve this I would love it if someone shared!

Last edited:
Top Bottom