Better Blogs [Deleted]

A server error occurs when we try to add a member that does not exist to "view this entry only" list in blog entry settings.

I'll have this fixed in the next version. If you want to fix this yourself in the meantime, in the file

library/XfAddOns/Blogs/DataWriter/Entry
Around line 694, change this

Code:
$msg = XenForo_Phrase('xfa_blogs_following_users_not_found', array('users' => implode(',', $invalidNames)));

to this

Code:
$msg = new XenForo_Phrase('xfa_blogs_following_users_not_found', array('users' => implode(',', $invalidNames)));

(notice the "new" keyword)

Reactions: DRE
Another bug, private entries show up in the recent entries BD Widget.
I can't reproduce it. These are my settings
  • An "Entries" widget orderer by "Post Date" showing the last 10 entries
Then I have
  • A public entry: Ok, viewable
  • A members only: Was viewable just by members, not by guests
  • A complete private entry: Only the author could see it
  • A followers only: Only if the author following the user
  • An entry limited by a list of users: These never appear on the widget, it's an optimization

Make sure that the user you are seeing the page with does not actually has permissions to view the entry. What happens when you click on it, are you able to actually see the entry?

ok my bad.
I did find a bug while checking this. The entries scoped to "Followed Users" are not visible anymore. Seems like I forgot a join. I'll have that fixed on next update.

Technically if the user is being followed they would still get an alert and would be able to access the entry anyway, it just does not appear on the blog index.

Installed mopst recent update.. getting server errors

Zend_Db_Statement_Mysqli_Exception: Mysqli prepare error: Column 'user_id' in where clause is ambiguous - library/Zend/Db/Statement/Mysqli.php:77
Generated By: Unknown Account, Today at 10:26 AM
Stack Trace
#0 /xxxx/xxxx/public_html/library/Zend/Db/Statement.php(115): Zend_Db_Statement_Mysqli->_prepare('????SELECT?????...')
#1 /xxxx/xxxx/public_html/library/Zend/Db/Adapter/Mysqli.php(381): Zend_Db_Statement->__construct(Object(Zend_Db_Adapter_Mysqli), '????SELECT?????...')
#2 /xxxx/xxxx/public_html/library/Zend/Db/Adapter/Abstract.php(478): Zend_Db_Adapter_Mysqli->prepare('????SELECT?????...')
#3 /xxxx/xxxx/public_html/library/XenForo/Model.php(219): Zend_Db_Adapter_Abstract->query('????SELECT?????...', Array, 2)
#4 /xxxx/xxxx/public_html/library/XfAddOns/Blogs/Model/Blog.php(269): XenForo_Model->fetchAllKeyed('????SELECT?????...', 'user_id')
#5 /xxxx/xxxx/public_html/library/XfAddOns/Blogs/Panel/Blogs.php(86): XfAddOns_Blogs_Model_Blog->getBlogList(Array)
#6 /xxxx/xxxx/public_html/library/XfAddOns/Blogs/Panel/Blogs.php(54): XfAddOns_Blogs_Panel_Blogs->getBlogs('create_date', 'DESC', 42, ' user_id >= 1')
#7 /xxxx/xxxx/public_html/library/XenForo/Model/Deferred.php(198): XfAddOns_Blogs_Panel_Blogs->execute(Array, Array, 9.99999713898, '')
#8 /xxxx/xxxx/public_html/library/XenForo/Model/Deferred.php(321): XenForo_Model_Deferred->runDeferred(Array, 9.99999713898, '', false)
#9 /xxxx/xxxx/public_html/library/XenForo/Model/Deferred.php(274): XenForo_Model_Deferred->_runInternal(Array, NULL, '', false)
#10 /xxxx/xxxx/public_html/deferred.php(18): XenForo_Model_Deferred->run(false)
#11 {main}
Request State
array(3) {
["url"] => string(37) "http://newsecondcity.com/deferred.php"
["_GET"] => array(0) {
}
["_POST"] => array(4) {
["_xfRequestUri"] => string(15) "/xfa-blog-list/"
["_xfNoRedirect"] => string(1) "1"
["_xfToken"] => string(8) "********"
["_xfResponseType"] => string(4) "json"
}
}

Installed mopst recent update.. getting server errors

Zend_Db_Statement_Mysqli_Exception: Mysqli prepare error: Column 'user_id' in where clause is ambiguous - library/Zend/Db/Statement/Mysqli.php:77
Generated By: Unknown Account, Today at 10:26 AM
Stack Trace
#0 /xxxx/xxxx/public_html/library/Zend/Db/Statement.php(115): Zend_Db_Statement_Mysqli->_prepare('????SELECT?????...')
#1 /xxxx/xxxx/public_html/library/Zend/Db/Adapter/Mysqli.php(381): Zend_Db_Statement->__construct(Object(Zend_Db_Adapter_Mysqli), '????SELECT?????...')
#2 /xxxx/xxxx/public_html/library/Zend/Db/Adapter/Abstract.php(478): Zend_Db_Adapter_Mysqli->prepare('????SELECT?????...')
#3 /xxxx/xxxx/public_html/library/XenForo/Model.php(219): Zend_Db_Adapter_Abstract->query('????SELECT?????...', Array, 2)
#4 /xxxx/xxxx/public_html/library/XfAddOns/Blogs/Model/Blog.php(269): XenForo_Model->fetchAllKeyed('????SELECT?????...', 'user_id')
#5 /xxxx/xxxx/public_html/library/XfAddOns/Blogs/Panel/Blogs.php(86): XfAddOns_Blogs_Model_Blog->getBlogList(Array)
#6 /xxxx/xxxx/public_html/library/XfAddOns/Blogs/Panel/Blogs.php(54): XfAddOns_Blogs_Panel_Blogs->getBlogs('create_date', 'DESC', 42, ' user_id >= 1')
#7 /xxxx/xxxx/public_html/library/XenForo/Model/Deferred.php(198): XfAddOns_Blogs_Panel_Blogs->execute(Array, Array, 9.99999713898, '')
#8 /xxxx/xxxx/public_html/library/XenForo/Model/Deferred.php(321): XenForo_Model_Deferred->runDeferred(Array, 9.99999713898, '', false)
#9 /xxxx/xxxx/public_html/library/XenForo/Model/Deferred.php(274): XenForo_Model_Deferred->_runInternal(Array, NULL, '', false)
#10 /xxxx/xxxx/public_html/deferred.php(18): XenForo_Model_Deferred->run(false)
#11 {main}
Request State
array(3) {
["url"] => string(37) "http://newsecondcity.com/deferred.php"
["_GET"] => array(0) {
}
["_POST"] => array(4) {
["_xfRequestUri"] => string(15) "/xfa-blog-list/"
["_xfNoRedirect"] => string(1) "1"
["_xfToken"] => string(8) "********"
["_xfResponseType"] => string(4) "json"
}
}
A left over from the previous panel refresh logic. Should not keep happening, but let me know if you get that again :)

Feature request:

• Add alerts

Sure I get an alert when someone post a comment to my blog. But my members would like to get alerts when new blog entries are made.

Options for these alerts should include

• Alert if follower post blog
  • Alert if person you're following post blog
  • Alert on subscribed blog
  • Alert on any new blog

Yes, but is that per blog or the whole thing or friend or people who follow you.... See where I'm going with this?
Let me see your scenarios
  • Alert if follower post blog
Today, anyone can watch a blog, and get alerts.
  • Alert if person you're following post blog
Same as above, if someone wants to get an alert on a certain blog, it can watch the blogs
  • Alert on subscribed blog
That's already happening
  • Alert on any new blog
This could be useful only for the administrator I guess, receiving an alert when a new blog is created. There is already a BD Widget blog, Blogs -> create_date that can be used to quickly locate the recently created blogs

I think it might be automatized further by getting alerts for entries done by followers or people followed, but the base functionality is already there by just watching a blog.

That "watch a blog"

Is that for the entry or the blogger themselves.... ie... If I watch a blog, will it watch any blog made by X user or just that 1 blog they posted?

I somehow missed your post below:
Looks like I still haven't gotten it right. I'll do another cycle on the global categories.
Thanks. I'll await the update.

1. That is by design, when you do an import, the new categories and entries are added. If you want a fresh import you need to either truncate the tables, or delete all the info. Fastest way of doing that is just uninstalling the blogs addon (it will delete everything), and then reinstalling it
That would make sense if the import was not done with the 'retain imported content ID's ' setting active. As the blogID's are retained, the imported blogs should overwrite the existing blogs.

2. I still don't know why that is happening. I am going to spice up my local test case to see if I can find any corner cases. I have been testing with less than 50 entries in global categories, I'm going to create for myself a more complicated use case and I'll report back. Hopefully in the next global categories update this will be fixed.
Thanks.

3. Do the hierarchy appear on the admincp, though? I'll take a look. I hope I fixed the import issues. If it's only the display that is easily fixable
That's hard to answer. The adminCP category page was pretty chaotic and showed multiple instances of categories, some with hierarchy, some without. All mixed together.

4. Yeah, I have not yet fixed the display issue. You are the only one seriously using categories. Previously the limit was 5 and it looks fine. I'll take a look. Out of curiosity, what is you maximum categories per entry?
80 but no entry has more than 25 categories.

5. That is by design, the blog is not driven off the categories and they are not included in the breadcrumbs. I could add this as an optional on the next update.
That would be very welcome. Global categories essentially have the same function as forum nodes. At least from a user experience perspective. Therefore it makes sense to display the global category in the breadcrumb.

That "watch a blog"

Is that for the entry or the blogger themselves.... ie... If I watch a blog, will it watch any blog made by X user or just that 1 blog they posted?
For the blogger

There is both a "watch blog" and "watch entry" functionality. Kind of like "watch forum" vs "watch thread"

Last edited:
@Rigel Kentaurus since i updated to latest it forced my postbit memberinfo like 10px wider (even with blog indicator hidden)

do you have a fix for this?

I'll fix that in the next update (a couple of days), in the meantime, you can change the template
xfa_blog_message_user_info_indicator

Change
Code:
<xen:require css="xfa_blog_indicator.css" />

<xen:if is="{$xenOptions.xfa_blogs_showInPosts}">

To this
Code:
<xen:if is="{$xenOptions.xfa_blogs_showInPosts}">

<xen:require css="xfa_blog_indicator.css" />

(notice the order changed and now the CSS line is below)

Can you please consider adding a Blogs Statistics block for the blog home page and bd widget?

Kinda like the Forum Statistics block.

Blog Statistics
---------------------------------------------------------
Blogs: 89
Blog Comments: 1966

I was editing a test blog entry by a test user's blog and set it to "People You Follow Only" Well... I forgot to follow myself and now I can no longer see the test user's blog. I can log into the other account and change the view permissions but still, shouldn't we be able to see all blogs if we have all the moderator permissions or does this require a new permission?

Back
Top Bottom