Better Blogs [Deleted]

I am no longer getting a server error when using full mode. I didn't do anything special either. Random. I did apply Rigel's rss edit and I had removed an addon or two since then so it may have been something else.
Spoke too soon. It's still doing it. It does it in Firefox but not in Google Chrome. Weird. So I took it off of full screen mode to resolve the problem.

Not to be a negative nancy, but it almost sounds like these blogs have a ton of issues with them... this true or are people just having normal problems as they would with any add-on?

I did purchase this... just waiting for essentially my webmaster to install it for me. I am very anxious... especially, and hopefully, for the sub-domain feature. :)

Not to be a negative nancy, but it almost sounds like these blogs have a ton of issues with them... this true or are people just having normal problems as they would with any add-on?

I did purchase this... just waiting for essentially my webmaster to install it for me. I am very anxious... especially, and hopefully, for the sub-domain feature. :)

This add-on is awesome. My students love using it. Installation was fast and the support for wanting to change the links was answered very quickly.

This add-on is awesome. My students love using it. Installation was fast and the support for wanting to change the links was answered very quickly.
Good to hear! :)

How to your students like the sub-domain feature?

I think I understand your point about wanting this blog addon to look different, but there is something to be said about consistency. I believe it would be better to consider making a separate styling properties section for this addon and letting the user customize it that way. I would purchase this addon if didn't look quite as funky as it does. Great job working on this, but if you need help making a more consistent looking experience...let me know :).

@LP-John - the blogs can be made to look as you wish. Here are my students using the add-on. @STORMS These are private and we do not use the subdomain feature. However, both of you can see from the below image that the header matches the rest of the site, changed links to pull down visitorTabs, and alerts, etc work. Customize this add-on as you wish ... it's up to your creativity.

Better Blogs With Student Blogs.webp

Rigel Kentaurus updated Better Blogs with a new update entry:

Latest entries in member profile, Top Blogs panel, Sitemap for SEO and basic XenForo search

New features
  • Added basic search capabilities for blogs
  • Added a block on the member profile to view recent blog entries
  • New panel! Top blogs (Blogs with Most Entries). (requires BD Widget add-on)
  • Included a sitemap generator to boost the SEO of your blogs (requires Sitemap add-on)
Performance Enhancements
  • Now registering the creation date of the blog (performance optimization for searching latest blogs)
  • The blog key is now registered upon...

Read the rest of this update entry...

Little issue with quotes in the sidebar in version 1.06 (don't know if it was there before):

Better Blogs Quote Issue.webp

Upgrade went well. Breadcrumb fix is nice.

@LP-John - the blogs can be made to look as you wish. Here are my students using the add-on.

This isn't what I mean. I realize I could style this however I want it to look, but I'm talking about this from a selling stand point. Anthony pointed this out in his review. It doesn't have that "XenForo" quality feel to it. This isn't a knock on the functionality it provides, but how it looks to a user who is more visual than functional. I'm a UI designer, so if I'm going to purchase something it better look nice. This looks okay, but it would have been easier to simply copy the UI design from current XenForo elements and customize it for this blogging system.

Like I said, if the OP wants some help let me know. I don't mind helping :)

This isn't what I mean. I realize I could style this however I want it to look, but I'm talking about this from a selling stand point. Anthony pointed this out in his review. It doesn't have that "XenForo" quality feel to it. This isn't a knock on the functionality it provides, but how it looks to a user who is more visual than functional. I'm a UI designer, so if I'm going to purchase something it better look nice. This looks okay, but it would have been easier to simply copy the UI design from current XenForo elements and customize it for this blogging system.

The latest version ships the default identical to the XenForo UI
I left the full screen mode as an option that can be activated only by people that want it

2 pre-sale questions

I read somewhere in the thread that the answer is yes to both questions, but your demo never shows this so...

1) Can members customize their blog with their own blog design?

2) Can members include an intro such as with LN Blog and if so, where?

Another question....

If I delete a member or a member closes their own account, does the blog remain?

That's actually a bug in both LN Blog and XI Blog.... The blog remains, but it is unreadable. I'd like to know it would remain if the user didn't delete it and it would be still readable.

Also is there an option to permanently remove a blog post?

Something else which is missing from both LN Blog and XI Blog.

2 pre-sale questions

I read somewhere in the thread that the answer is yes to both questions, but your demo never shows this so...

1) Can members customize their blog with their own blog design?

2) Can members include an intro such as with LN Blog and if so, where?

Yes they can, you could create an account on http://xfaddons.com, create a blog entry (can't customize an empty blog), an on the right sidebar there will be a link for Customize

One of my members did a Starcraft theme on his blog
http://kibou.cemzoo.net/
Another one did a halloween theme
http://okita.cemzoo.net/

In both you can see the description it is right below the title of the blog

Another question....

If I delete a member or a member closes their own account, does the blog remain?

That's actually a bug in both LN Blog and XI Blog.... The blog remains, but it is unreadable. I'd like to know it would remain if the user didn't delete it and it would be still readable.

Also is there an option to permanently remove a blog post?

Something else which is missing from both LN Blog and XI Blog.

If you delete the user... the blog remains. I'll take note of that as a bug. I'll add that to the postDelete of the User Model

There is an option to permanently remove a blog post and permanently remove comments. It is permission based, you can grant that or not to the members. There are two different permissions, can delete entry and can permanently delete entry

Could you take a look at the FrontPage
http://xfaddons.com/index.php?xfa-blog-home/

And a sample blog
http://xfaddons.com/index.php?xfa-blogs/kentaurus.1/

That is the latest version. It integrates with the header, navigation, breadcrumbs and everything XenForo default. I think it now blends as usual with the site. If you have any comments I'll be happy to read them.

Could you take a look at the FrontPage
http://xfaddons.com/index.php?xfa-blog-home/

And a sample blog
http://xfaddons.com/index.php?xfa-blogs/kentaurus.1/

That is the latest version. It integrates with the header, navigation, breadcrumbs and everything XenForo default. I think it now blends as usual with the site. If you have any comments I'll be happy to read them.
No worries. I had created an example for you, but I'm actually considering making a blog system for my site. Something a little simplistic and has the look I want. $40 is a little pricey for me :)

Top Bottom