• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

[BETA] Import from vB 3.8.6: When importing Users ERROR "A server error occurred. Please try..later"

Tigratrus

"A server error occurred. Please try again later"

^^^ is the actual error, just lacked the chars in the title. I watched the log files via console and tail -f /usr/local/apache/logs/error_log and there is nothing showing up there?

Kinda at a dead end as there is no indication of WHAT is wrong so I'm not sure how to fix it. We do have a fair number of entries in the users table (161,993 at last count) is is possible that it's a memory problem? I would have expected to see that in the error log if it was though...

Any suggestions on how to proceed? TIA!

This is on our testbed/sandbox server, just trying to work through the details of what we need to do to migrate the live system.

Jake Bunce

XenForo moderator
Staff member
Add this line to your library/config.php file:

Code:
$config['debug'] = 1;
That will reveal a more detailed error. Post it here and the devs can probably help.

Tigratrus

Thanks Jake! Did that after I saw the consolidated thread for import problems. I posted the output in my... err.. post :rolleyes: there. :)

I have the same problem, this is the output:
Mysqli statement execute error : Incorrect string value: '\xFDh\xFDoh\xFD...' for column 'account_name' at row 1

Walter

Same problem here, during user import:
Mysqli statement execute error : Incorrect string value: '\xE4fchen...' for column 'account_name' at row 1

• Zend_Db_Statement_Mysqli->_execute() in Zend/Db/Statement.php at line 300
Seems to be a character set problem with mysql so probably only a problem with non english languages. I use mysql 5.1.

Mopquill

If it's just saying that an error occurred (and doesn't specify, as is in this thread's title), then this happens to me every time I go to import users. Just refresh, and it'll get through it- without losing any users.

Mopquill

Sometimes refresh doesn't work, clicking in the address bar and hitting enter will. If that doesn't work either, you might try turning JavaScript off and proceeding through manually.

F

Floris

Thanks Jake! Did that after I saw the consolidated thread for import problems. I posted the output in my... err.. post :rolleyes: there. :)
Turn off debug mode once that's all done, and you no longer need it. Saves potential problems.

XenForo is smart, so error_log won't show anything, XF itself catches the errors and handles them where known/needed. Everything else is logged in the table xf_error_log (so you don't need debug). You can use debug additionally to get extended data on the error for .. debug reasons.
:D