Beta 6 Mobile Discussion

TNCclubman

can no longer view pictures with slideshow on the iPhone.

thumbnails open to a new page to show picture. slideshow doesnt show up at all.

can no longer view pictures with slideshow on the iPhone.

thumbnails open to a new page to show picture. slideshow doesnt show up at all.
That's how it's always been. The small screen and limited processing power of the iPhone is such that I purposely do not initialise the lightbox for the iPhone and other mobile browsers. They get the same behaviour that XenForo has always had.

That's how it's always been. The small screen and limited processing power of the iPhone is such that I purposely do not initialise the lightbox for the iPhone and other mobile browsers. They get the same behaviour that XenForo has always had.

Opening a new window to view a photo, closing the window, then clicking another thumbnail leading to another new window with the photo is a very tedious way to browse photos on a thread. Seems mobile browsing is being treated as an afterthought and not in tandem with desktop browsing.

Please dont take what Im saying as ingrateful or offensive or insulting. Just giving my 2 cents as a beta tester.

Seems mobile browsing is being treated as an afterthought and not in tandem with desktop browsing.

Please dont take what Im saying as ingrateful or offensive or insulting. Just giving my 2 cents as a beta tester.
No offense or insult taken - I agree with you:
The software is currently optimised for the desktop. It's usable on a mobile platform, but not ideal. As I've said before, considerations for the mobile platform are being made all the time, but the biggest consideration - a mobile skin with automatic switching - is not present... yet.

Websites are meant to be browsed with computers, dont know why a mobile version/compatibility became so important these days..
That's like saying calls are meant to be made by a telephone. Or mail is meant to be sent through the post office.

When technology advances, so do our methods. We now call from our laptops and other wifi connected devices. We now use texts, emails and instant messaging programs to send our letters/messages across the world.

With bigger screens and faster internet connections on our mobiles, along with more Wifi hot spots, surfing on the go is becoming easier and more important everyday. With the smart phone usage increasing every day and more phones being connected to the internet, it's extremely important for software developers to ensure their products can be used on the go, quickly and efficiently.

How many people do you know that check their E-mail, news and facebook on their phone? Why should it not be the same for forums?

That's like saying calls are meant to be made by a telephone. Or mail is meant to be sent through the post office.

When technology advances, so do our methods. We now call from our laptops and other wifi connected devices. We now use texts, emails and instant messaging programs to send our letters/messages across the world.

With bigger screens and faster internet connections on our mobiles, along with more Wifi hot spots, surfing on the go is becoming easier and more important everyday. With the smart phone usage increasing every day and more phones being connected to the internet, it's extremely important for software developers to ensure their products can be used on the go, quickly and efficiently.

How many people do you know that check their E-mail, news and facebook on their phone? Why should it not be the same for forums?
Me likey!

An intelligent post!

Websites are meant to be browsed with computers, dont know why a mobile version/compatibility became so important these days..

At first I thought this was a joke. But then I thought maybe you just arent aware. So I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. Mobile web surfing is passing desktop web surfing this year. And it will never move back down. Mobile browsing is the majority as of later this year.

Because some of us have to be away from our computers for hours at a time, and like to be able to keep up with what's going on.
Or did you not know that?

I'm glad your not a forum developer.
lol if i was i can assure you it would beat vb.
tongue.png

Mobile browsing is the majority as of later this year.
This is both true and untrue.
Mobile browsing is very important, getting more important daily.
The vast majority of forum website surfing IS NOT done on iphones (mobile devices).
Do you really think that "Your Power Users" will spend 6 hours per week browsing your site with an iphone ? No, that would be tedious.
When they say "The Majority" of browsing will be mobile .. they are counting handheld devices that access the internet to download 10K of weather data. The majority of vB / xF / IPB surfing is not done on mobile devices.

You may be shocked to learn what the ratio is for mobile/pc for Facebook. But then again, Facebook on an iPhone is seamless. Maybe thats why.
+1 Great point. Facebook seems to defy all rules. xenforo needs help it's customers happy by having Facebook integration and Mobile features to compete with it. Simply making a "Mobile Forum Skin" won't help much. If all Mike and Kier do is make a "Mobile Skin" like vB did ... xF customers won't be that far ahead.
I spend a good 12 hours per week browsing the internet from my iPhone. :)
Peggy, we all know you are exceptional. :) Software isn't planned around exceptions. You represent 1 out of 1,966,514,816 internet users. You failed to mention over the last 6 months what percentage of the time you surfed vBulletin or xenforo sites with your mobile device.

+1 Great point. Facebook seems to defy all rules. xenforo needs help it's customers happy by having Facebook integration and Mobile features to compete with it. Simply making a "Mobile Forum Skin" won't help much. If all Mike and Kier do is make a "Mobile Skin" like vB did ... xF customers won't be that far ahead.

Peggy, we all know you are exceptional. :) Software isn't planned around exceptions. You represent 1 out of 1,966,514,816 internet users. You failed to mention over the last 6 months what percentage of the time you surfed vBulletin or xenforo sites with your mobile device.
LoL from past 2years i have been surfing vbulletin site in my iphone & xenforo from past few months . I have seen many people who do same .

Percentage? I have no idea. As I said, I spend at least 12 hours per week browsing the internet from my iPhone. I work 3 nights per week, my client sleeps all night, so this is what I do.
BTW - I don't browse vB - it's a waste of valuable time. :)

iTuN3r / Peggy :
It is clear you are "Super" interested in mobile browsing.
You therefore must already know this information:

(1) what percentage of hits on your site is from a mobile device ?
(2) How long do mobile users stay on your site ?
(3) what percentage of your core users access the forums a majority of the TIME on a mobile device ?
(4) what percent of google ad revenue is from mobile devices ?

Ituner: You failed to mention over the last 6 months what percentage of the time you surfed vBulletin or xenforo sites with your mobile device.

Edit: There is VERY Little discussion about Mobile Browsing and Xenforo ... there is a Mobile Style ....

XFStop Mobile Style

1-png.7332

Isn't that pretty helpful ?

Top Bottom