Best Way to migrate from vbulletin 4.x (with dbseo) to Xenforo..

XFR00z0

Kindly,
Suggest best way to migrate to Xenforo from Vbulletin 4.x (latest with dbseo) to Xenforo..
Things to keep in mind etc.
This is our existing forums setup = community.example.com
We want to try migration on community1.example.com or community.example.com/xenforo
(which will be better here, so can easily be transferred to community.example.com

I came across some, some articles for migration, but did not save/bookmark those, kindly guide.

Thanks in advance,

It makes no difference what the temp directory is.

Once the import is complete, the XF installation can be easily moved to the final location by moving the files and updating the Board URL in the ACP.

More suggestions please. (forum with 1 million + posts)
If anyone can guide with step by step process.
I saw xenforo youtube channel (thanks to developers)
If there is a video on migration from vbulletin to xenforo will be helpful

Sorry, Couldn't revert back since few last week's as was hospitalized.

Ok so from what I understand I will follow this steps:

1. Take a proper backup of entire site first
2. Create a new directory and new subdomain xenforo.example.com
3. Create a new database
3. Do all the required import steps from vbulletin to xenforo on above new directory into new database.
4. Rename vbulletin directory
5. Change new directory name of xenforo to vbulletin live site and change subdomain in xenforo settings.

I guess I should be on proper xenforo setup ?

I have dbseo for vbulletin installed, will i require this modification https://xenforo.com/community/threads/dbtech-dragonbyte-seo-urls-to-xenforo-2.145881/ on new xenforo install ?
Kindly suggest any important steps to take care about..

Thanks

Last edited:
I would recommend doing a test import first and doing a full check once the import is complete.

Most likely there will be some tasks required such as permissions, bb codes, etc. and a test import gives you the opportunity to put a plan together.

I would recommend doing a test import first and doing a full check once the import is complete.

Most likely there will be some tasks required such as permissions, bb codes, etc. and a test import gives you the opportunity to put a plan together.
Thanks @Brogan for quick reply.
The import which i shall be doing is a test import, nothing will get changed on existing vbulletin setup..
Once the test installation as per above steps, will check all required things and only then change the directories/subdomains etc.

If you haven't already done so, read this thread as it covers some important aspects:

Top Bottom