Best Virus Software

=MGN=RedEagle

Hi guys,

When it comes to protecting PC's I find a lot of virus programs are crippleware. I have watched them toast computers. Not sure if they are just a scam or really badly programed. Anyway, I have not used them now for a few years and I have been in computer heaven ever since. I have computers lasting 6-7 years rather than 1-2 now. Nonetheless, I need to get some security.

Anyone with real intimate knowledge of this know what the best solution is?

Hi guys,

When it comes to protecting PC's I find a lot of virus programs are crippleware. I have watched them toast computers. Not sure if they are just a scam or really badly programed. Anyway, I have not used them now for a few years and I have been in computer heaven ever since. I have computers lasting 6-7 years rather than 1-2 now. Nonetheless, I need to get some security.

Anyone with real intimate knowledge of this know what the best solution is?
For free, AVG

For paid, Kaspersky

Those are the two I find that are good at what they do, but don't eat resources and don't give false positives.

Off topic (sort of)

But has anyone else notice the user interface for AVG and Bitdefender look the same?

Capture.webp

I'm sure you'll get a lot of people who suggest it is, but my experience tells me that I kept getting false positives. I also remember it making my computer slower (more so my internet).

I guess its a personal preference.
I find it is hard to get good data on this. Nonetheless, my hackers have given me plenty of viruses to work with. I have them all zipped in code on my server. Maybe I can get them down to my PC and see which virus program picks up on them.

I hate AVG, particularly because of how many people with it can no longer play Minecraft without disabling Link Scanner, and the many false positives.

Avast and ESET/Kaspersky all the way.

Best Virus Software
AVSes can't save you from new viruses. If you want to be save, I follow this rule of thumb:
- Not visiting questionable sites and use javascript only for trusted sites

I ditched Kaspersky years ago and never regreted the decision.

Microsoft Security Essentials is great, and not heavy on resources. Windows Defender is built into Windows 8 by default, though I don't appreciate that they took away the ability to rightclick a file and scan it.

I strongly suggest not using Avast, or just hope you never have to remove it or hope it doesn't block any of your programs. ;)

I've been using Microsoft Essentials and Malwarebytes for over a year or two now with zero problems.

If I was going to use a paid service, I'd use Kaspersky.

Top Bottom