• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Best Virus Software

=MGN=RedEagle

Hi guys,

When it comes to protecting PC's I find a lot of virus programs are crippleware. I have watched them toast computers. Not sure if they are just a scam or really badly programed. Anyway, I have not used them now for a few years and I have been in computer heaven ever since. I have computers lasting 6-7 years rather than 1-2 now. Nonetheless, I need to get some security.

Anyone with real intimate knowledge of this know what the best solution is?

Adam Howard

Hi guys,

When it comes to protecting PC's I find a lot of virus programs are crippleware. I have watched them toast computers. Not sure if they are just a scam or really badly programed. Anyway, I have not used them now for a few years and I have been in computer heaven ever since. I have computers lasting 6-7 years rather than 1-2 now. Nonetheless, I need to get some security.

Anyone with real intimate knowledge of this know what the best solution is?
For free, AVG

For paid, Kaspersky

Those are the two I find that are good at what they do, but don't eat resources and don't give false positives.

=MGN=RedEagle

I'm sure you'll get a lot of people who suggest it is, but my experience tells me that I kept getting false positives. I also remember it making my computer slower (more so my internet).

I guess its a personal preference.
I find it is hard to get good data on this. Nonetheless, my hackers have given me plenty of viruses to work with. I have them all zipped in code on my server. Maybe I can get them down to my PC and see which virus program picks up on them.

tyteen4a03

I hate AVG, particularly because of how many people with it can no longer play Minecraft without disabling Link Scanner, and the many false positives.

Avast and ESET/Kaspersky all the way.

Luxus

Best Virus Software
AVSes can't save you from new viruses. If you want to be save, I follow this rule of thumb:
- Not visiting questionable sites and use javascript only for trusted sites

I ditched Kaspersky years ago and never regreted the decision.

James

Jesepi

Microsoft Security Essentials is great, and not heavy on resources. Windows Defender is built into Windows 8 by default, though I don't appreciate that they took away the ability to rightclick a file and scan it.

Brandon Sheley

I strongly suggest not using Avast, or just hope you never have to remove it or hope it doesn't block any of your programs. ;)

I've been using Microsoft Essentials and Malwarebytes for over a year or two now with zero problems.

If I was going to use a paid service, I'd use Kaspersky.