Best Theme?

I don't know anything about chat. Always believed and observed it nullifies your forum threads.
Yeah, my NSFW writing site has chat and there's almost two separate communities there: forums and chatrooms. A few people go back and forth but whenever I pop into the chat for a peek (I'm a forum guy), there's almost no one I know because most of the people I interact with on the forums are as chat-averse as I am.

And Article system, is Xenporta still active or there a new one?
No updates in a while but it is still around and Jaxel does still pop in occasionally to answer questions in the support thread for it in Resources. I imagine that if 2.3 requires it, there probably will be an update then. I quite like it but stopped using it for other reasons.

Do you want an article system, or do you want something that is more along the lines of a portal?

If you want a full-fledged article system, go with anything by Bob at http://xenaddons.com. His add-ons are hands down some of the most in-depth and well put together, especially as far as content goes. Bob is always updating and working on his add-ons, and they get frequent updates throughout the year.

If you want to just display articles from a forum, you can go the route of using Audentio/ThemeHouse Feeds add-on, and just use the default article thread type from XenForo; this gives you flexibility of also grouping other content types together as alternative feeds.

XenPorta would also work, but it is not as in-depth as AMS (article management system) and not as flexible as Feeds with article thread types.

Do you want an article system, or do you want something that is more along the lines of a portal?

If you want a full-fledged article system, go with anything by Bob at http://xenaddons.com. His add-ons are hands down some of the most in-depth and well put together, especially as far as content goes. Bob is always updating and working on his add-ons, and they get frequent updates throughout the year.

If you want to just display articles from a forum, you can go the route of using Audentio/ThemeHouse Feeds add-on, and just use the default article thread type from XenForo; this gives you flexibility of also grouping other content types together as alternative feeds.

XenPorta would also work, but it is not as in-depth as AMS (article management system) and not as flexible as Feeds with article thread types.
Atm I have Xenporta 1, and have promoted articles will I be able to transfer the promoted articles?

Atm I have Xenporta 1, and have promoted articles will I be able to transfer the promoted articles?
Promoted articles in XenPorta I believe are just threads, so you can convert to an article with the current version of AMS.

As far as anything with XenPorta, I do not use it so I could not really tell you.

Reactions: psx
Pixel Exit hasn't given updates to his themes since April 22?

Our latest versions work great on the current version of XenForo with no outdated templates. We made some changes a while back to really focus on the primary complaint of how hard third-party styles were to update. The primary changes were a reduction in template modifications and an overall cleanup in the templates. It resulted in easier upgrades and not requiring updates as often.

We're still supporting them and will be in the foreseeable future. (y)

Yeah, my NSFW writing site has chat and there's almost two separate communities there: forums and chatrooms. A few people go back and forth but whenever I pop into the chat for a peek (I'm a forum guy), there's almost no one I know because most of the people I interact with on the forums are as chat-averse as I am.
Which chat ddon do you use?

Our latest versions work great on the current version of XenForo with no outdated templates. We made some changes a while back to really focus on the primary complaint of how hard third-party styles were to update. The primary changes were a reduction in template modifications and an overall cleanup in the templates. It resulted in easier upgrades and not requiring updates as often.

We're still supporting them and will be in the foreseeable future. (y)
Thanks for your reply :)

Which chat ddon do you use?
Not my site in that I own it, just that I am an active member. They have their own custom software that I kind of hate and the chat is actually part of a much larger chat system owned by the developer. Had they gone with Xenforo, I would be a much happier camper.

@Russ & company at PixelExit are by far and away the best at support and the look of their styles that I've head the pleasure of dealing with in the decade of running XF (and slightly less running IPS). Ehren is good at IPS, but PixelExit is hands above them.

Pixel Exit hasn't given updates to his themes since April 22?
Why should they "issue updates" if there is no coding changes needed?
They REGULARLY get a new update out for ANY supported style as soon as a new version of XF comes out that impacts it.

Reactions: eL_
Those are good but the theme from "Greatest American Hero" is what you'll find yourself singing along to. 😁
Don't know about that... Twilight Zone will be always remembered fondly by us old folks.
Now, let's don't forget Rockford Files, WKRP in Cincinati, Rawhide, Mr. Ed, Welcome Back Kotter, The Monkees, Beverly Hillbillies, Dukes of Hazzard and more.

Yes, I'm loudly proclaiming I'm an OLD fart... and isn't it amazing that most of the themes songs from those "old fuddy duddy" series are really more memorable once you hear them than the newer stuff?

you want a decent articles system... look no further than @Bob's AMS add-on.

You want to see a VERY simple (configured) install of it, feel free to visit the site in my sig and go to the Articles section.
Also, ShowCase, Classifieds and Link Directory (all in use on my site) are also 3 more of his fabulous add-ons.

you want a decent articles system... look no further than @Bob's AMS add-on.

You want to see a VERY simple (configured) install of it, feel free to visit the site in my sig and go to the Articles section.
Also, ShowCase, Classifieds and Link Directory (all in use on my site) are also 3 more of his fabulous add-ons.
How is the SEO on it? When doing thread to article, does that create duplicates in the eyes of Google?

How is the SEO on it? When doing thread to article, does that create duplicates in the eyes of Google?
Not that I've seen so far (but I have VERY limited exposure to it). Of course, I don't do a "article to thread" as I WANT the users to visit the articles themselves and don't have a desire to push it out int to a node as a "hey, lookie here)" type behavior. They get notification on the nav bar of new articles...

Screen Shot 2022-12-02 at 6.02.00 AM.webp

I'd rather not (personally) overload the users on "hey, go here for this" type stuff. I figure if a red box with a number in it over the articles area doesn't interest them.. then "spooging" it to a forum node won't either.

Themehouse said they are going to stop making and maintaining styles. I used to use Tactical but due to the announcement I had to phase it out.
Honestly.. if using XF I'd use something from Themehouse when hell froze over. I'm sorry, but I have about as much faith in them as a ounce of crap turning into a few pounds of gold. For some reason..they have sucked up to the teat that is IPS. And to top it off... they really aren't in the running. When it comes to theme, Ehren beats the total batshit out of them.

Top Bottom