• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Best font choice for forum reading?

CyclingTribe

I recently changed from Verdana (old vB3.8.4 font) to Trebuchet MS to have a serif style font (www.cyclechat.net) but I'm not convinced I've made the right choice - it seems, I don't know, too big for the layout.

I don't really want to use Georgia and when I reduce the size of Trebuchet is seems a bit too small - can't win eh?

I just wondered what everyone else's font preferences were for on-screen reading?

Cheers,
Shaun :D

Brogan

XenForo moderator
Staff member
Comic Sans MS of course, which is what I use here on XenForo.com.

font.PNG

You're not going to get consensus with this though, everyone has their own preference.
I personally hate serif fonts so every font on my site is sans serif.

The default font for XenForo was specifically chosen for on screen readability.

Forsaken

I recently changed from Verdana (old vB3.8.4 font) to Trebuchet MS to have a serif style font (www.cyclechat.net) but I'm not convinced I've made the right choice - it seems, I don't know, too big for the layout.

I don't really want to use Georgia and when I reduce the size of Trebuchet is seems a bit too small - can't win eh?

I just wondered what everyone else's font preferences were for on-screen reading?

Cheers,
You can't just change the font, you'll also have to change the font-size, otherwise the font will look out of place.

TheRevTastic

My Web Mastering teacher told my class that serif fonts were proven to make it easier to read as your eyes will follow the lines on the bottom, but I don't take her advice :p, I can teach the class better then her.

Shelley

My Web Mastering teacher told my class that serif fonts were proven to make it easier to read as your eyes will follow the lines on the bottom, but I don't take her advice :p, I can teach the class better then her.
Font is really down to user preference what they find easier on "they're" eyes. Just like there isn't a (for example) which is better red or blue the argument would go on forever.

dutchbb

I like/prefer sans-serif for websites/articles but serif seems to be working for XenForo. Perhaps because it gives it a more unique feeling compared to other forum solutions. Or it just works better with this design. I think Trebuchet MS works pretty well on your forum. But you're right it's either too small or too large for message text.

CyclingTribe

I've changed it back to Verdana and think it's working better than with Trebuchet MS. It's a little larger than on the IPB style, and I've added a bit more spacing between lines (to make it easier to read large blocks of text) and I'm a bit happier with it now.

Thanks for the feedback - and it seems fonts is still a very subjective subject. (y)

Cheers,

mrGTB

Verdana - has always been the most readable font I think used on sites. Hence why it's still so popular used with many forums as default font.