Best font choice for forum reading?

In what way? I use it in Firefox and it shows up and looks just fine. I get it's not web-safe due to the fact it's not yet widespread, but it seems suitable for use nonetheless.
There are a few cases where it doesn't render well in certain operating systems/browser combinations.

It also requires that either ClearType or Macs equivalent be turned on for it to look clean, otherwise you get rough edges and it doesn't look consistent.

It's a nice font, but it was never intended for web use due to those issues.

There are a few cases where it doesn't render well in certain operating systems/browser combinations.

It also requires that either ClearType or Macs equivalent be turned on for it to look clean, otherwise you get rough edges and it doesn't look consistent.

It's a nice font, but it was never intended for web use due to those issues.
Ah, I guess that makes sense. But I believe that on both Vista and 7, ClearType is turned on by default. (Mac OS X uses Quartz Extreme, which is also "always on" unless otherwise specified.)

Apparently there are new versions of Georgia and Verdana...

Georgia Pro & Verdana Pro
Complete family: $560 (Workstation license), and $5,600/year for a self-hosting license or $560/year for their hosted solution.

When using fonts, you have to be aware that without them being installed on the visitors site, they won't show (They'll just degrade to the next one in the font stack, or to the browser default). There are services that allow you to use webfonts (Google WebFont, Typekit, Cufon etc) but they rely mostly on Javascript, and aren't perfect solutions.

For a page in Japanese:
Code:
style="font-family: Arial, Helvetica, 'MS Gothic', 'ヒラギノ角ゴ Pro W3', 'Hiragino Kaku Gothic Pro', sans-serif;"

For a page in Chinese:
Code:
style="font-family: '\5b8b\4f53', '\534E\6587\7EC6\9ED1'; line-height: 1.3;"

Tested with all major browsers (not mobile) on Windows about 1-2 years ago after reading a lot of documentation and performing a lot of tests.

Top Bottom