1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best approach. VB to xenForo

Discussion in 'XenForo Pre-Sales Questions' started by klykken, Aug 7, 2011.

1. klykken

klykken New Member

I have a an old vBulletin install
    Stats say 'Threads: 17,185, Posts: 90,415, Members: 10,907, Active Members: 469'
    Version is 3.6.5
    It's installed on domain.com/forum/

What would my best approach be to switch? Do install in a new directory? I was hoping maybe someone had written a guide specifically on vb -> xenForo . There's so much info on these forums, I was hoping someone could direct me to the right place.

2. Saarbruecken

Saarbruecken Active Member

You can rename the folder after completing the xF import, so it's domain.tld/forum/ again. And no worries, a guide vB -> xF ain't necessary, it's pretty much self explaining. :)

3. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

4. klykken

klykken New Member

Almost. Not only the import part, but how to deal with existing directories etc. Should I create this locally, then push to server. Or install on another directory on the server and then rename it to /forum/ when going live.. do you understand what I'm poorly trying to get at? :)

5. Brogan

It's entirely up to you how you do it; all of the methods you have described have been done.

There is no right or wrong way.

6. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

7. klykken

klykken New Member

I just didn't want to have to learn lessons already learnt by someone else. Blue, I didn't want to change the directory name, but I could always find a way to redirect requests.

8. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

You can put it in /forum if you want. I imported an old vB this morning and the only thing that was installed was the old database.

9. el canadiano

el canadiano Active Member

You can redirect something from /forum to /community with the 3.x redirections.

10. klykken

klykken New Member

Yes, I might have use 301 (that's what you meant right?) redirects through .htaccess unless there another way to swap without any downtime.

11. Brandon Sheley

Brandon Sheley Well-Known Member

If the vb forum is live now in a /forums/ folder and you want to keep it that way I'd go this route if downtime isn't an issue.

Change the vb path to /forums2/ and also change the url settings in your vboptions to the new path.
    Then install xf in a /forums/ folder, follow the import instructions as well and add the redirect files.

remove the /forums2/ folder when your sure everything has been imported.

12. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

13. el canadiano

el canadiano Active Member

14. Ingenious

Ingenious Well-Known Member

In my test conversion I had vB installed in /forum.

I then installed XF in /Xenforo and ensured it was using a brand new, empty database.

After backing up the vB forum and closing it to any new replies, I ran the XF conversion tool.

So that leaves a working vB forum in /forum and a working clone of that forum but running XenForo in /xenforo.

However as I wanted old vB posts to redirect to the new XenForo ones I kept the directories the same and instead used the XF redirect tools to switch people over to the new forum.

It's a lot easier than it sounds and also quite flexible because as people have said there are a few different ways you can do this depending on what you need. When I convert for real I will be moving to a whole new URL and converting from vBSEO links too!

15. klykken

klykken New Member

That is a great approach, the only downfall is all the links that are going to /forum/ will be broken during the conversion, however long it takes. But this might be the best option, thanks :)

16. klykken

klykken New Member

17. Brogan

No.

The forums is hard coded into the URL.
    Just as threads and posts are.

18. klykken

klykken New Member

This is close to what I had in mind.
    To make it perfect I would rename the vb forum to 'forumOld' and rename the /xenforo/ to /forum/ granted there's no broken links within xenForo I can't fix. IS the install directory defined in one place, or in every link in the db?

19. Ingenious

Ingenious Well-Known Member

My understanding if you rename directories is that you'd need to put the XenForo redirect scripts into the new forum/ directory with XenForo, so that when people (or Google) try and access the vB pages (forum/showthread.php for example) they can be redirected to the new XenForo equivalent. After a while once all your Google links have updated you can then bin the /forumold directory where the old vB lives.

I would recommend doing a test install and test conversion first, once you've bought a licence, so you can iron out any issues without time pressure of moving the site.

20. Brogan

Moving to a different server directory in XenForo is very simple.

How can I move my installation to a different directory?
    Update the Board URL in the ACP -> Options -> Basic Board Information and move the files to the new directory. You may need to restart the server for the change to take effect.

http://xenforo.com/community/threads/frequently-asked-questions.5183/#post-180455