Benefits of using EXTRA.css for everything?

Luxus

While working with TMS I had to search multiple times for CSS classes to find out in what templates they are. I'm thinking of putting all CSS modifications I made into this one EXTRA.css file, but I would like to know if this might be a bad idea because this file would get really really big I suppose?

The benefit of putting your changes into EXTRA.css is that it isn't changed during upgrades - so unlike template changes, which can be overwritten (or need re-applying) - your changes in EXTRA.css will stick. (y)

For my personal styles I use extra.css for just about everything. I try to use the style properties as much as Ican too but I've found the amount of detail I put into certain things the style properties can be limited.

Lets say my EXTRA.css is 10MB big (just hypothetically) and browser caching disabled. This means that on ANY page visit that has CSS modifications the whole 10MB of the EXTRA.css is downloaded automatically, right?

EXTRA.css would never be 10MB big. No point even considering it hypothetically.

The total sum of the XenForo CSS files is no more than 1MB so even if you replaced every CSS class there is in EXTRA.css you'll only add an extra 1MB onto the size.

Technically, if it was 10MB, then yes.

If this concerns you then consider creating your own CSS files and then call them in your template modifications.

Nah, I'll stick with TMS edits then. It's a bit more work, but this way only needed CSS files are downloaded, preventing for instance guests from downloading the CSS for the quick reply box and other things that they are not supposed to see.

What TMS?

Most other templates you'll have to revert them when you upgrade. Which resets every modification you've made. I've done it in the past for the same reason - optimization. But after 3-4 upgrades . . . you know the story.

For my personal styles I use extra.css for just about everything. I try to use the style properties as much as Ican too but I've found the amount of detail I put into certain things the style properties can be limited.

EXTRA.css is my home when I style. :P There are some stuff in the style properties I make use of but like yourself the extra.css template is where I make 99% of my alterations for the exact same reason you just mentioned.

What TMS?

Most other templates you'll have to revert them when you upgrade. Which resets every modification you've made. I've done it in the past for the same reason - optimization. But after 3-4 upgrades . . . you know the story.

Best resource out there to date :), check the resource manager, it handles all of your template modifications as if you're doing them through an addon, as in you're not directly editing the templates :)

Top Bottom