Resource icon

[bd] API Consumer 0.9.7

No permission to download

xfrocks

xfrocks submitted a new resource:

[bd] API Consumer - Login with another XenForo installation's account.

[bd] API Consumer
Login with another XenForo installation's account.

[FEATURES]
1. Authentication with OAuth2, auto registration, auto login via JavaScript
2. Basic data sync at registration
3. Support login with more than one other XenForo installations
4. Open source: https://github.com/xfrocks/bdApi

[INSTALLATION]
0. The other XenForo installation must install [bd] API (http://xenforo.com/community/resources/1732/)
1. Upload files and directories inside `upload` to...

Read more about this resource...

Not much. I haven't personally installed it but there are a few points:

1. The other add-on works in the background without user interaction with the system but this add-on asks for user authentication before it does anything. There are options to automate the process but if there is any conflict (username exists, user_id exists, etc.), user will be asked to confirm the action.
  2. Also, the other add-on has 2 parts that need to be installed on the server and the client installation. This add-on however is designed to run on the client installation. The server installation must install another add-on, [bd] API, which by itself can do other (powerful) things.
  3. Finally, this add-on is free, the other is not :D

I think this is more like what stackoverflow.com uses.
Thank you Xfrocks :)

Not much. I haven't personally installed it but there are a few points:

1. The other add-on works in the background without user interaction with the system but this add-on asks for user authentication before it does anything. There are options to automate the process but if there is any conflict (username exists, user_id exists, etc.), user will be asked to confirm the action.
  2. Also, the other add-on has 2 parts that need to be installed on the server and the client installation. This add-on however is designed to run on the client installation. The server installation must install another add-on, [bd] API, which by itself can do other (powerful) things.
  3. Finally, this add-on is free, the other is not :D

Does it keep things synced? If I change my email on one installation, does it change on another? What about my password?

Can it work for lets say 3 installations?

Does it keep things synced? If I change my email on one installation, does it change on another? What about my password?

Can it work for lets say 3 installations?

As stated in the features list, it does sync only at registration (and for basic information only, e.g. avatar is not sync'd).
User who registered via the server installation will have no password, similar to Facebook login. User who associates with server installation's account will have their password as usual.

Yes, it can work with multiple servers, multiple clients.

As stated in the features list, it does sync only at registration (and for basic information only, e.g. avatar is not sync'd).
User who registered via the server installation will have no password, similar to Facebook login. User who associates with server installation's account will have their password as usual.

Yes, it can work with multiple servers, multiple clients.

So it's mainly to let your users register on another website of yours without them signing in again. However, from then on the two accounts are relatively separate.

Will you be planning on adding sync functionality? Since you can pull information of users from the restAPI fairly easily?

Will you be planning on adding sync functionality? Since you can pull information of users from the restAPI fairly easily?

Maybe, depending on the community interest of this project. Doing that is easy (as you already said) but doing it right may be tricky. Especially if the site is busy/has lots of users and the system has no idea when it should start synchronizing a specific user.

Maybe, depending on the community interest of this project. Doing that is easy (as you already said) but doing it right may be tricky. Especially if the site is busy/has lots of users and the system has no idea when it should start synchronizing a specific user.

Could it be done through a cron? Maybe have it run every 5 - 10 minutes? I guess the sync wouldn't be instant, but it could be sufficient for email changes and such. In any case, I have xenSSO currently which has the basic sync automated. After paying the money for it, it seems just as good as your product. Only the fact that your product is still in development and is free. I'll definitely switch over if we can get some synchronization going even after the user is registered.

I think it might be even easier to just have an option in the user panel that asks if they'd like to pull the avatar from another site, if they say okay then that could be done. It may save some of the processing. All of this of course can be done when the user first registers with an account that is registered on another site.

I'm curious about this addon. I'd like to have 14 XF forums use the same system for registering and login. Does this have an option where a new member has to be registered on the main forum before becoming a member on any other forums? All other register options are disabled.

Thank you and have a splendid weekend*

I'm curious about this addon. I'd like to have 14 XF forums use the same system for registering and login. Does this have an option where a new member has to be registered on the main forum before becoming a member on any other forums? All other register options are disabled.

Thank you and have a splendid weekend*

You can disable registration on 13 forums and let the add-on do its work.

You can disable registration on 13 forums and let the add-on do its work.

If we have registrations open on all forums, and there is only one forum that has the [bd] API plugin the rest having this one. Does that one forum gain a member automatically when members register on the other forums?

Also, I think this plugin would be great if you could have it integrated with wordpress. Just simply registration/user sync. I've sent you a message, and i'd like to know what you think.

SSO is not working for me.......is this set up that, without any development, I can use it in a similar way - that is, have users from my big forum be able to login on my smaller forum?

I don't quite understand the above!

Let's use Master and Slave to make it more clear.

So, I have a master forum. I have a new slave forum. The slave forum needs to BOTH take new registrations (I don't want these to go into the Master!), and also - when a user from the Master comes to the slave forum, taken their name and password and log them in....does that sound right?

Also, if I eventually turned this add-on off, would the users who already logged into the slave forum still have their information there? In other words, does it copy them as a regular users into the slave forum db?

If we have registrations open on all forums, and there is only one forum that has the [bd] API plugin the rest having this one. Does that one forum gain a member automatically when members register on the other forums?
Please note the answer for this important question is No.

Also, I think this plugin would be great if you could have it integrated with wordpress. Just simply registration/user sync. I've sent you a message, and i'd like to know what you think.

That is possible but will not be added in the near future I think.

So, I have a master forum. I have a new slave forum. The slave forum needs to BOTH take new registrations (I don't want these to go into the Master!), and also - when a user from the Master comes to the slave forum, taken their name and password and log them in....does that sound right?
Yes, that's correct.

Also, if I eventually turned this add-on off, would the users who already logged into the slave forum still have their information there? In other words, does it copy them as a regular users into the slave forum db?

Users who logged in via the master forum will be unable to login because the slave forum doesn't have any authentication method left for those users. If you plan to turn off the add-on, you need to ask your members to update their password.

Yes, that's correct.

Users who logged in via the master forum will be unable to login because the slave forum doesn't have any authentication method left for those users. If you plan to turn off the add-on, you need to ask your members to update their password.

So their account would still exist on the slave if the add-on was uninstalled...but the password would need reset? This assumes, of course, that their email is copied over?

So does it leave the pw field on the slave blank or does it put a generated pw into there?

Top Bottom