Batch File Upload/Importing Add-On

RSI

There is another similar request via the thread below, but Resources desperately needs the ability to upload multiple files at once and preferably a batch upload/import feature.

https://xenforo.com/community/threads/multiple-files-upload.46292/

I have well over 3000 files to upload to Resources and having to do them one at a time will take me probably over a year or so by doing just a few files a day in my spare time.

Some type of a workaround is badly needed to allow the batch uploading of files and maybe via ftp to a temp folder where they could then be selected from the Resource Manager’s admin panel and imported to Resources all at once using the filenames to populate the fields, etc.

The current limitation of only being able to upload one file at a time is a real problem and I’m sure I’m not the only one who will agree.

Thank You

Last edited:
If you are looking for a way to upload multiple files under the same resource, then that feature is implemented in RM 2.0. However, if you would like to create separate resources from each upload, then perhaps you might want to write a script that uses credentials of a user and acts like a bot to submit resources one by one.

That feature being added to RM 2.x is great and a big improvement, but I still have a few thousand files I need to upload so it's just a start. Maybe with that being done, an add-on could be created that would expand it. I had an add-on with my old SMF board to where I could just ftp files to a temp folder on my server then batch transfer / encode those files over to any location using the add-on. It would let you check the files in that temporary ftp folder you wanted to transfer and it would use the files names to populate all of the fields. It was a really nifty workaround.

If it is one time job, perhaps you can pay a few bucks to a technical person (capable of writing scripts in some language) to import your few thousand files as separate resources into your XFRM. It should not take more than a few hours.

Most of what have are pdf files of vintage manuals, catalogs, articles, etc., all with no copyright issues. I occasionally will come across a large batch of them so having the feature in RM 2 or via an add-on would be best.

I am not saying that you get rid of your XFRM instance, especially since you might already be using it for a while. However, if you are building a digital library/repository then you might want to have a look at Fedora Repository. It has excellent support for linked data and rich metada that is used in digital library community extensively.

Can that by connected to xenforo by using its existing permissions and everything?

It looks like that might need to be installed on the server directly and I'm on a shared server. I wouldn’t have any access to install it on the Linux server itself unless it can be done just like installing xenforo.

I have a very cheap unlimited bandwidth and data plan along with Cloudfare so I’ve been able to make everything work and by using very minimal CPU usage on the shared server. I don’t have any issues with it and I don’t want any additional plan (cost) on another server.

Can that by connected to xenforo by using its existing permissions and everything?
I am not sure if anyone has done this already, but this should be doable in theory.
It looks like that might need to be installed on the server directly and I'm on a shared server. I wouldn’t have any access to install it on the Linux server itself unless it can be done just like installing xenforo.

I have a very cheap unlimited bandwidth and data plan along with Cloudfare so I’ve been able to make everything work and by using very minimal CPU usage on the shared server. I don’t have any issues with it and I don’t want any additional plan (cost) on another server.
It is not for you then. It is a very mature Java project, it requires Tomcat server for plain installation.

Top Bottom