1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Basketball Forum

Discussion in 'Forum Showcase and Critiques' started by royalduke, Aug 29, 2011.

1. royalduke

royalduke Member

Hey,

Well I created a basketball forum with XenForo at http://talkbasketball.info

I've added content to the site, written articles, submitted to reddit, stumbleupon, and Facebook but still no members :( The site has been going for 5 days now.

What am I doing wrong? I don't have any experience with sport forums. Should I change anything?

Please help,

Thanks.

2. Brandon Sheley

Brandon Sheley Well-Known Member

I didn't click the link but 5 days is the issue here.
    Building a forum takes time.. some admins can build a forum for a few months and not really have any members yet.
    Don't give up ;)

3. Digital Doctor

Digital Doctor Well-Known Member

What about a Wordpress or XenPorta homepage ?
    What is the goal of your basketball talk forum ?

4. Ingenious

Ingenious Well-Known Member

Nice looking forum, I spot the superb Aurora skin.

As for no members in 5 days: If this is just a brand new forum then you should be looking at timescales of months or years to build up a community especially with a subject that's quite well covered already. An influx of members initially usually only happens if the forum is an extension of an already busy community or website where you already have readers/customers to call on. In the meantime, keep spreading the word, keep writing new content, but above all, think about something that will give you a unique angle or style, to make you different than other communities.

5. betnod

betnod Member

I've been running sports bettting forums for years and as allready mentioned any forum takes time to build up, it won't happen over night.

The best way to start a community is to lay down good foundations first, i.e know your stuff and post on other forums to gain a reputation and earn the respect of other members, then when you start your own forum people will gladly back you.
    Going it alone from scratch takes a lot of time if your just going to rely on google, you need to get out there and start leaving link backs with relative sites, which is easier said than done. i know, but you won't get anywhere just sitting back and expecting traffic to come to you.

6. betnod

betnod Member

Have you disabled registrations? as I cannot sign up to your forum.

7. royalduke

royalduke Member

No! really?

I did not disable registration!

8. royalduke

royalduke Member

I know basketball really well, watching the game and playing it in my spare time.

Also, registration is not disabled (I just registered an account to make sure), can you please try again, I really want some new members.

Anyways, I've been spreading the link on Facebook, stumbleupon and reddit some of the articles I write, etc.

maybe I'm just used to seeing fast results :( my other websites did very well but then again, those were different niches and this is my first time going into a sports niche.

9. iTuN3r

iTuN3r Well-Known Member

Not bad but i don't find that style so interesting for basketball based site . It takes a while to get the traffic and registration go up so start passing up the word about website while you go out to play basketball with your friends . Working up on flyers and putting them around the public basketball courts will help too .

10. betnod

betnod Member

Aye my fault, registration looks fine now.

one thing i did notice though and that's you haven't associated your website with a facebook account, i cannot see the 'login with facebook' option.

11. royalduke

royalduke Member

because I do not have the code for Facebook and do not have the means to acquire the code :( thus authorization.

12. glorify

glorify Well-Known Member

Really nice and clean except for your logo. Rough around the edges. Just tweak and you're golden.

13. Digital Doctor

[​IMG]

+1
    The letters in the title look jagged and are hard to read.
    I don't like the font or the coloring of the letters.

14. royalduke

royalduke Member

Okay, I'm gonna make a new banner right now, I suppose.

15. royalduke

royalduke Member

But any tips specifically for sports forums?

16. Rho Delta

Rho Delta Well-Known Member

Nice theme but I would make a better looking header.

17. betnod

betnod Member

Why not? all you need is a facebook account then create a facebook app.

do you mean you have no means to acquire the sms authorisation code?

18. Robert F Schmitz

Robert F Schmitz Well-Known Member

Sure thing. I have had mine for two years and am still working it. ;)

Brandon Sheley likes this.
  19. royalduke

royalduke Member

Okay, I've changed the banner now, what do you guys think?
    Any other advice and tips, for maybe plugins?

I'm new to Xenforo and don't know any plugins that may be useful to me.

20. Digital Doctor

talkbasketball.info.logo.2.jpg
    The team logos are so small, I'm not sure it's worth it.