Barefooting

I've generally avoiding anything that tries to improve arch support as they end up giving me more foot problems/pain than doing without.

That speaks to a philosophy of mine that I have recently acquired... don't reward bad habbits. In my case I kept buying new computer chairs to support my weak back. I was essentially rewarding my back for being weak by giving it extra support in the form of expensive chairs. Now I am learning to train my back to support itself. My back is much happier now than it has ever been.

The same thing probably applies to feet.

Nice Jake... those exercise balls are one of the best damn things for sitting on at the computer to build lower back muscles. End up finding muscles popping out of all sorts of places as sitting on them works back and legs... very good for posture and health.

I'm still debating whether to go bare footed to the supermarket. I guess my concern has to be whether security or management in asda (where I shop) have any problems with it, or if I'll get stopped by security. Anyone here ventures to the supermarket barefooted to do their weekly shopping?

Most states/counties/cities in the U.S. still enforce that rule we discussed:

No shirts, no shoes, no service.

You can find some that don't enforce it, but they are few, and far between.

I use to get away with the no shoe part in most places though.

Most states/counties/cities in the U.S. still enforce [...] No shirts, no shoes, no service.
That's down to individual stores and facilities to require and enforce, there's no state legislature that mandates such a policy.

So... if you wrap your barefeet in your shirt, then those stores have to serve you, right? :p

Once a year, on New Years Eve my wife and I run barefoot to the fence and back. On the days when it is -25 to -30C, you move a little faster through the snow.

I've never completely understood why having no shoes would mean no service you. I can understand in upscale stores or something, but even then I don't recall seeing such a sign on those stores, it's usually some store a lot of people go to wearing nothing special.

With feet, at least you know they can't be that dirty as they're cleaned once a day (hopefully :p) when you shower, while shoes on the other hand... I don't recall the last time I actually washed my shoe. Does walking in the rain count?

I've never completely understood why having no shoes would mean no service you. I can understand in upscale stores or something, but even then I don't recall seeing such a sign on those stores, it's usually some store a lot of people go to wearing nothing special.
It's mostly restaurants, and they consider it a health issue. The department of health mostly pressures restaurants to enforce this rule.
Further, I'm sure it's mostly larger restaurants - perkins, Denny's, Bob Evans, Ruby Tuesdays, etc. You can get away with it more in fast food joints like Bk and MickeyD's.

So... if you wrap your barefeet in your shirt, then those stores have to serve you, right?
I've never really understood the thinking behind it. It can't really be the exposed sole, as like Onimua says, feet really can't be any dirtier than shoes, and it can't be the sight of feet, or flip flops would be outlawed too. Just seems like a bit of an arbitrary, random thing with no grounding in common sense or logic.

Top Bottom