Barefooting

Not really related to barefooting, but some may have seen on Twitter that I've got some ankle problems at present (could be a form of arthritis) and I have some rather impressive swelling going on in both of them. It's not too bad right now, but this might give you some idea...

View attachment 20273

Off to get them X-rayed tomorrow.

Ouchie!

Sorry to hear it Kier, I hope they improve soon for you.

-some ankle problems at present (could be a form of arthritis) and I have some rather impressive swelling going on in both of them.
Hmmmm.
Recurrent ankle sprains from badminton ? (usually one sided swelling)
Varicose veins and too much sitting around at the computer ? (less common in healthy men under 50).
The list of potential causes of the swelling is enormous.
The vast majority of the time .... the diagnosis is not serious.
Definitely worth a once over from the doctor :)
Xrays rarely provide any information, but they are still worth doing. Causes of swelling that show up on xrays are usually in unilateral ankle swelling, whereas you say yours is on both sides.

Reminds me of when my dad had the gout in one of his ankles, mere days before we went on vacation. It was a lot more swollen though, and was only in the one ankle, no both.

I do have arthritis in my fingers--hereditary. I do have the pain, but am starting to show the swelling knuckles slightly.

The habitually barefoot person is acutely aware of their surroundings and walks with a lightness and surety that is very effective against injury. Sounds like just the thing for you!

Here is my site all about barefoot running and look what the backend is ... XF

thebarefootrunners.org

PLEASE NOTE FOOT / ANKLE SWELLING IS DANGEROUS.
It comes of sitting too long at computer and happened to me.

It's the same thing as people get on long haul air flights and it can set up a blood clot and stroke.

The cure is to make sure we get up and walk about every hour or two - just a walk to kitchen for glass of water can help.
Also computer workers who sit long hours should put blocks under the foot end of the bed so we sleep with feet raised a little. Couple of inches makes a big difference and yet you don't notice it consciously.

If the swelling is bad get vigorous exercise like swimming or running to clear it.
In the pool hold on the side and kick vigorously.
Ive also had success with playing loud music and dancing to it for 10 mins.

The worst danger symptoms are
- swelling feels hotter than the other foot
- purple or red patches or streaks on top of toe/s.
- prick the toe slightly with pin and it doesn't feel anything.
Any of those, get to a doctor for checkup.

I mean...take it for what it's worth and note I have had years training in martial arts which I happened to do barefoot and factor in that though what I am going to suggest sounds simple, ultimately it takes months to years practice to see and feel long term benefits. The short term is pretty understandable with just a basic glance at the human body and it's dependence on oxygen and you will notice it.

If you focus your breathing to a symmetrical rhythm while sitting or standing as perfectly erect as you possibly can and importantly without flexing any muscles other than the obvious breathing muscles (which unless you think about it is completely involuntary..the ultimate goal is to do this technique all the time without thinking about it) , you enrich your body with oxygen under the best possible circumstances assuming you have positioned yourself with the best posture that you possibly can. The better you can hold your posture the better the mechanics function on your lower lower limbs as well as blood flow to them and the extremities and oxygenated human cells are happy cells all in all.

If you can turn that into a habit I can honestly say from experience it is not a bad one to have. I have had some pretty serious injuries and many that affect what would be normally painless movements. I also get random ghost pains kind of like a lighting bolt that I can only feel ..but I feel it so intensely at times I can almost swear I see it. My whole point being I have serious random or predictable pains and can overcome them by simply breathing and good posturing.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neutral_spine said:
In medicine and occupations concerned with physical fitness, the concept of good posture is referred to as "neutral spine."[4] In this context, proper posture or "neutral spine," is the proper alignment of the body between postural extremes. In its natural alignment, the spine is not straight. It has curves in the thoracic (upper) and lumbar (lower) regions. There is a slight forward curve in the lumbar region (lordosis), a slight backward curve in the thoracic region (kyphosis) and a slight extension in the tiny cervical vertebra at the top of the spine. In addition, the ears, shoulders, hips, knees and ankles are aligned as if a plumb line were running from the ears down through the torso into the legs and the feet. In neutral posture, the body is able to function in its strongest, most balanced position. Stress to the joints, muscles, vertebrae and tissue is minimized.[4]
230px-Spinal_column_curvature.png

Also for what it's worth to anyone reading situps or crunches is great to strengthen your lower abdomen which will help you be able to maintain your desired posture.

I really wasn't going to post anything today as I am working on stuff here in my own little world currently but in response to this in the most utmost respectful way and applying it to the above rambling by myself...
And that has to do with barefoot walking, how?
often the oddest things are connected in the most peculiar of ways.

Been pondering how to word this so I'll just come out with it. Bare Footing, do you?

Recently after a little dialogue and a chance to reflect I recently went bare footing. What is bare footing I hear you ask, it's walking elegantly without the surroundings of leather suffocating your feet aka walking everywhere bare foot.

This morning, I started bare footing and with a doctors appointment early this morning I plucked up the courage and took a drive down to the medical centre and walked in from the rain bare footed. Leaving footprints from the rain I became concious but with that aside it does feel comfortable. Sure, I got some strange looks but I blanked that out.

Anyway. Would you bare foot? Consider it even? maybe your a bare footing fanatic and have enjoyed this for years? Share your tales, stories and experiences even thoughts or maybe considerations in allocating time to bare footing.

Ps. There's really nothing like walking in the rain and the mud oozing up between your toes. *looks at feet*
Like EQNoble, I was required to be barefoot in Martial Arts. I hated it at first because my soles were soft n weak since I'm not a barefooter. I never liked going barefoot before because it made me feel vulnerable and dirty. I've stepped on rusty nails before in a pair of Nikes before and had to get a tetanus shot. I don't even wanna think how worse it could've been if I wasn't barefooted when that happened.

It took a couple weeks then my soles became tough. Between the martial arts training that also required us to run around the building and the park and practicing martial arts at home barefooted I came to enjoy being barefooted. I became more conscious of where I stepped and even gained a deeper self-respect for myself oddly enough. But I haven't been in Martial Arts in awhile and I probably won't take it up again. I don't think I'd ever go barefooted again. I think walking around barefoot is un-safe and irresponsible to a certain extent. I ain't trying to get bit by fire ants.

I love being barefoot :) Im never without my shoes outside of the house unless im coming back from a day at the beach. Coming home from the beach with no shoes on is great and its fun to play dodge the glass and chewing gum :)

Top Bottom