Barefooting

I like these here. They are as close to bare feet as you can get without exposing them to everything.
http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/
I've been pondering the VFF for running. I use a minimalist shoe now without problems. My biggest hesitations are that I haven't had any problems since switching to the minimalist shoe and I run most on the road. I fear the VFF will wear out too quickly considering their cost.

I am also not a huge fan of shoes they always constrain me in one way or another, I always prefer to walk bare foot. At home I only walk barefoot, no slipers nothing, this also aplies to my garden and surroundings. For longer walks I do feel obliged to wear shoes though.

I've been pondering the VFF for running. I use a minimalist shoe now without problems.
If you're already in minimalist shoes and they're working out for you, have you considered following through to the logical conclusion and attempting to run without them at all?

I've been pondering the VFF for running. I use a minimalist shoe now without problems. My biggest hesitations are that I haven't had any problems since switching to the minimalist shoe and I run most on the road. I fear the VFF will wear out too quickly considering their cost.

Like any shoes, these will wear out. But they still do last a while, and the price is kinda high, but i was striving to get a comfort feel other than tennis shoes. These fit like a glove, like if they were an extension to your feet. You just have to get used to them. It can take a day or two, or maybe even less. It took me about an hour then i was ok with the feel. At first they might fit tight, but like with any other shoe, you have to break them in and mold them. This can take a few days.

bunch of hippies in here :eek:

I want to try this now. But I have a bit of a plantar thing so I gotta ease into it. I bet my plantar would be happier once I got used to no shoes.
Kier's been talking to me about the "no shoes" thingee. I didn't know there was a name for it tho. :eek:

I never ever ever wear shoes at home, but as for walking around in the big bad world without them.. hmm I doubt it, my feets are quite delicate and pathetically ouchy when walking on rough surfaces, not to mention the ick that is everywhere you walk.
Me too. My feet are incredibly sensitive, so I do have a hard time walking outside without shoes on, usually sneakers. Having said that tho, I've been working on walking just out in the yard without shoes. I must admit that I've been having a wonderful time playing with my dogs in the cool grass. :D

Inside, I never wear shoes, or socks for that matter, unless I'm really really cold, then I'll don a pair of socks. But never shoes, not inside.

bunch of hippies in here
eek.png

I want to try this now. But I have a bit of a plantar thing so I gotta ease into it. I bet my plantar would be happier once I got used to no shoes.
Hippies??!? LOL

Anyway, if you're talking about plantar fasciitis, there's a decent amount of evidence that the necessarily light footfalls of barefoot walking can be beneficial in the treatment of PF, though it's important to take it easy and build up gradually.

UPDATE!! Just popping in to say I'm still bare footing, it's now been nearly 48 hours (or just below), I've decided to allocate the next 24 hours of my probationary period and now aiming for 3 days. :D

Yeah, I felt left out being the minority with graphic avatars. Blame Xenforo. :)

Out of curiosity is that you in yours? lol You handsome brute you

UPDATE!! Just popping in to say I'm still bare footing, it's now been nearly 48 hours (or just below), I've decided to allocate the next 24 hours of my probationary period and now aiming for 3 days. :D

48 hours is a lot, wow !

ahhh.... just wondering Shelley:
previously, did you wear shoes for 48 hours ? :D

Yeah, I felt left out being the minority with graphic avatars. Blame Xenforo. :)

Out of curiosity is that you in yours? lol You handsome brute you
Well, well...as long as I've known you that's the first time I've seen the "real" you. If I were 20 years younger, single and lived in the UK I'd let you buy me a drink ;) Yeah, unfortunately it was a bad hair day lol :p

I live in a fairly big city...sometimes you'll find garbage, goose poo, shards of glass or other things you don't want touching your feet...so for the most part...I wear shoes. And for the most part, shoes are required. But, when I'm not out and about in the city, I prefer to be barefoot in the lawn, around the house, etc. My feet like air and I am shocked when I learn of someone who sleeps with their socks on :eek:

Absolutely hate shoes. Only own a couple of pairs, and only wear them when absolutely necessary.

I've been bare footing in a small country town in Australia, and i've got to the point where I can (inadvertantly) walk on broken bottles and middle-of-summer bitumen without getting damaged feet. :)

We never wear shoes in the house, though socks in the winter are a definite need. There's too many sharp rocks in the gravel outside (garden paths) along with ridiculous heat in the summer at times, so I often do either loose clogs or flip/flops outside. When doing WORK outdoors I generally wear more conventional shoes for the protection factor. I recently had a woodworking clamp fall on my left foot and take a chunk out of the side of it, so protective footwear when appropriate is now a hi-pri safety issue for me :-).

i've got to the point where I can (inadvertantly) walk on broken bottles and middle-of-summer bitumen without getting damaged feet. :)
Hardcore! I can't claim to have reached the soles-made-of-kevlar stage that you have just yet.

Top Bottom