Banner too wide for fixed width forum list

Gladius

I'm looking for ideas on what would be the easiest way to fix a small issue that's come up. I've got a larger ad creative (970x250) in the ad_above_content, which is problematic on forum_list as there's not so much horizontal space there as on the other pages due to the sidebar on the right. So on our fixed width style, a good portion of the ad is covered by the sidebar. Visually, it seems the easiest fix would be to just push the sidebar down to the level of the forum list and expand the space for the creative in ad_above_content across the full width of the style. I'm not sure if this would be easy to do, however, or if there is a better solution for this issue. I'd like to keep it simple since this problem really only manifests itself on the forum list due to limited space there.

I serve different size ads based on whether the page has a sidebar or not, using <xen:if is="{$sidebar}">.

Oh dang, I just realized this would be a problem with PCs too, not sure if any other areas have a sidebar too? That conditional could be a partial solution, thanks, though if possible I'd rather make the forum layout fit my ads than the other way around... I expect the 970x250 will replace 728x90 in the next few years so it'd be nice having XF work with those sizes "out of the box" even with fixed width styles.

You can only work with the space available so your options are to have a wider fixed width, use a different sized ad, use a different ad_* template.

I have responsive adsense implemented, which you would really consider: Responsive AdSense

I've set it to wider fixed width but it needs pretty much the same amount of space as fluid to fit the creative in so it negates the whole point of having a narrower fixed width for easier reading, so that's not an option. Are you saying that there's no easy way to move the sidebar further down to gain the necessary space for the creative?

I'm not using AdSense in this instance and this needs to work for all creatives sized 970x250. If you've got a large static image or flash creative like that, responsive doesn't really help you any AFAIK.

Top Bottom