XF 2.2 Banned user viewing thread?

Black Tiger

Just wonder how this is happening.

Just seen a banned user in the online user list, and I wondered how this was possible.
So I checked wat he was doing and seen this:
1696199451167.png

Now how this possible that he is visiting the forum?
I doublechecked the usergroup he's in.
Primary usergroup = Registered users.
Secondary usergroup = Banned users (which is seen here too).
The Banned usergroup has everything set to "Never".

So why is he able to visit the forum?

Oh that's were it's for.
Still... I wouldn't expect them to show up in the online list this way.

Since it shows a certain forumpart, I presume they have used some browser cache then to try and get there?

I help admin a forum that is so riddled with spam and you wouldn't believe the amount of banned users we have the partial name of "antonio" in it. The owner will not tighten the spam controls on the site.

If you're at all worried
I'm not worried, just wondering and curious about how this works, because there is a difference between guests and banned users related to view permissions. I don't mind people seeing things.

Any visitor can navigate to any URL at any time.
Yes a visitor (or guest), which has view permissions. A banned user does not have view permissions so is in fact not a visitor, right? Then he would have to be logged out and visiting. Then he would be a guest and would be shown as guest not with username and banned user title.
Unless the forum recognizes him on the ip address or he visits the url directly and gets the error notice, that would make a bit sense to me. Is that what you mean?
That is just what I was wondering about, just curiosity.

A vistior is anyone visiting the site - logged in or logged out.

There's no need to be concerned - the triangle denotes that visitor does not have access to the content.

I'm not worried, just wondering and curious about how this works, because there is a difference between guests and banned users related to view permissions. I don't mind people seeing things.

Yes a visitor (or guest), which has view permissions. A banned user does not have view permissions so is in fact not a visitor, right? Then he would have to be logged out and visiting. Then he would be a guest and would be shown as guest not with username and banned user title.
Unless the forum recognizes him on the ip address or he visits the url directly and gets the error notice, that would make a bit sense to me. Is that what you mean?
That is just what I was wondering about, just curiosity.

You sound a little worried maybe because you're a first time user of the site's software.
Don't dwell on it.
One thing if you have a whole heap of banned users delete them instead of keeping them on your site. Then they can't log in

No I'm not concerned at all, just curious about why and how he got shown in the online list, normally I never see banned users anymore. :)

Thank you for explaining.

One thing if you have a whole heap of banned users delete them instead of keeping them on your site. Then they can't log in
I've just seen that we posted together at the same time. But as said I'm not worried at all, just curious, as said in my previous post.
Thank you for trying to reassure me, but there is no need for it.

First time user of Xenforo maybe, but already forum admin for 24 years with various software, paid software starting with vBulletin 1.x and I've also been ons SMF and the fraudulous IPB. And for other users maintainted their phpBB forum. So I know my way around.
But on some things my technical curiosity triggers me.

Normally I would delete them, but I don't like rubbish in my database, I hate that anonymized crap and since you can't really delete users as was (and maybe still is) possible with other software, I nowadays choose to not delete them and just keep them banned.
When deleted they can also use the same e-mail address and/or ip to register again, and now I can also compare banned users ip's and such if needed. ;)

Top Bottom