XF 1.3 Ban Reason

Amaury

On vBulletin, when users are permanently or temporarily banned, they are shown the reason and the expiration date. However, on XenForo, it just says they don't have the permissions necessary to view the page.

Ban.webp

Is there any way to show them the reason?

Last edited:
A user who is banned through the ban system is shown that they have no permission only if they try to view something they can't view. Otherwise, they do get the banned message.

A user who is banned through the ban system is shown that they have no permission only if they try to view something they can't view. Otherwise, they do get the banned message.

Thanks, Mike.

Then it must be because I have everything set to Never intentionally for the Banned user group. I'll change everything to Not Set (No).

Thanks, Mike.

Then it must be because I have everything set to Never intentionally for the Banned user group. I'll change everything to Not Set (No).
If the banned group is a secondary group then users will still get permissions from the Registered group if you use Not Set (No).

It is a secondary user group, yes.

If I use Not Set (No) on the Registered user group, correct? Because that's how I have it.
If you have Not Set (No) for a permission in the Registered group then Not Set (No) in the Banned group is fine.

Not Set (No) + Not Set (No) = Not Set (No)

If you have Allow for a permission in the Registered group and Not Set (No) in the Banned group it won't work.

Allow + Not Set (No) = Allow

In this case you would need to use Never.

If you have Not Set (No) for a permission in the Registered group then Not Set (No) in the Banned group is fine.

Not Set (No) + Not Set (No) = Not Set (No)

If you have Allow for a permission in the Registered group and Not Set (No) in the Banned group it won't work.

Allow + Not Set (No) = Allow

In this case you would need to use Never.

Got it.

But essentially my current setup of Not Set (No) for Registered and Never for Banned is fine?

Got it.

But essentially my current setup of Not Set (No) for Registered and Never for Banned is fine?
I'd only set a Never permission in a banned group or 'naughty step' group (which is a group I do have for miscreants) where I have a corresponding Allow permission in another group that the user is a member of. There's no need to set a Never to override a Not Set (No).

I'd only set a Never permission in a banned group or 'naughty step' group (which is a group I do have for miscreants) where I have a corresponding Allow permission in another group that the user is a member of. There's no need to set a Never to override a Not Set (No).

Just to make sure I'm understanding correctly, these are the general permissions for our Registered user group:

Registered General.webp

Right now, everything in our Banned user group is set to Never, but if I'm understanding you correctly, I would do the following:
  • View = Never
  • View Node = Never
  • View User Profiles = Never
  • Search = Never
  • Edit Profile = Never
  • Edit Custom Title = Not Set (No)
  • Follow Message Moderation Rules = Never
  • Bypass Flood Check = Not Set (No)
  • Report Content = Never

Last edited:
Correct, that's what I'd set.

I guess it wouldn't matter if you had everything set to Never for a banned group. I'm just particular about how I set my permissions to ensure I don't have any duplication of permissions across my groups and I only use Never where absolutely necessary. I also keep all permissions detailed on a spreadsheet for easy reference. :)

Is there a particular reason why you're setting additional permissions to banned members? They already can't do most of the things you're setting to Never.

That's not what I asked.

I asked: Why are you setting permissions at all for the banned user group?

Oops. Sorry.

I read multiple times here (in threads where people were having problems with user group permissions) that you should never use Never unless it's for a banned user group or something of the sort.

Should I just do Not Set (No) on everything, then?

Set everything back to Not Set. Create a test user. Ban the test user. Have a play around and then see if the banned user has access to anything they shouldn't Pretty much it is the case that they can do nothing.

If that's the case, then you don't need to change any permissions (Leave them as default, e.g. Not Set).

And with that configuration, the ban reason you mentioned in the original post should be visible.

Top Bottom