Implemented Ban members from a single forum

This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
for years i had to run a 'mod sets access masks' hacks and make template edits to achieve this kind of functionality, allowing clan leaders to ban members from their clan board.
i really wish xf would use 'social groups' in a way that could better serve clan boards, group boards/permissions being the core issue.
Essentially, a suggest to offer the possibility of a admin to ban users from a single (or multiple) forums, like this mod: http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=128161

I have a forum with multiple clans, i would like to offer to the clan-leader the possibility to ban the user from "their forums sections".

I'd rather see thread-banning, much more flexible. And if you ban someone from an entire forum, you might as well ban them completely.

I'd rather see thread-banning, much more flexible. And if you ban someone from an entire forum, you might as well ban them completely.

It's opinable, it's not the same chose the "forum ban" and the "section ban". Read my example, please.

If there's a similar feature to "Access Masks" it should be possible. I use access masks on my forum to ban users from single forums. Granted, they won' be able to see it in the forum list anymore, but that's not really an issue seeing as you are banning them.

If there's a similar feature to "Access Masks" it should be possible. I use access masks on my forum to ban users from single forums. Granted, they won' be able to see it in the forum list anymore, but that's not really an issue seeing as you are banning them.

Nice...a powerful permissions/restriction system can be an alternative to my suggestion. I hope to see this in Xenforo!

Can't you practically obtain the same goal using usergroup permissions?
No not really. The purpose of Access masks, in VB at least, was for situations like the following.

I have two bad users. They aren't bad enough to ban them entirely, but each seems to be having trouble with civil communications in some forums. User X is being troublesome in Politics and Religion forums. However, other than letting their emotions get out of control, they are not worthy of being site banned; User X just has personal issues holding in their emotions on those two subjects. User Y has a similar problem, but only in the Politics forum. To be able to ban these two, using the usergroup method, two additional usergroups need to be created. One banning from both forums, the other from one. Even if one usergroup each were created for each forum to be listed as an additional usergroup, imagine a board with 25 forum categories (25 additional usergroups, which can get really complicated)!

With access masks, simple per-forum access can be determined on a per-user basis. This also helps in other situations. What if you have a special forum for V.I.P members only. However, you want to give a specific user temporary access to it to help with a project, but you don't want to change their usergroup (they would acquire all V.I.P permissions then) or create a new usergroup you need to worry about just for that purpose. Well, no problem, a single click with an access mask of "allow" next to that forum and they are good to go until you decide otherwise. No hassle, no usergroups, just click and done.

I should note that you can set the full range of permissions (both global and per "node"/forum) on a per user basis. This allows you to add or remove individual permissions for users without creating groups, though we would normally direct you to groups if there's a reasonable possibility there will be more than 1 person involved.

As you get the full range of permissions, you could easily prevent a user from posting anywhere, or prevent then from posting in a particular forum (or prevent them from viewing that forum), or even give someone access to download attachments in a forum when they normally couldn't.

I should note that you can set the full range of permissions (both global and per "node"/forum) on a per user basis. This allows you to add or remove individual permissions for users without creating groups, though we would normally direct you to groups if there's a reasonable possibility there will be more than 1 person involved.

As you get the full range of permissions, you could easily prevent a user from posting anywhere, or prevent then from posting in a particular forum (or prevent them from viewing that forum), or even give someone access to download attachments in a forum when they normally couldn't.
I like the download attachments / viewing concept per user. I'm assuming it's possible to change these values via a addon product? Like say, something like a members area thing, where people buy skins or whatever, and be able to download from a certain forum (if you don't have a download section in a members area)?
As Mr_Bob said, superb. :)

Top Bottom