XF 1.5 Backup/Restore forum and/or database for new domain...

Scoobie

Hi...

We started a new forum on a domain (all private... non-published domain)... we haven't done a lot... created a few members (owners) and a few test threads.

We have now decided to change the domain URL to something different. I have uploaded a new install to the new domain (again all private and unpublished to the public). While we haven't done much on the old forum and domain, we would like to not have to recreate what we have already done.

We have updated the URL info on our license and plan to delete all the XF uploaded to the old domain (the domain will be gone as well) as soon as we can get confirmation on the following:

Is it possible to backup the old forum/database and restore it to the new forum/database? Database names are different. Only one user has been created on the new install... user 1 for an admin.

Thanks!

Yes, you can dump the existing database and import it into the new site, assuming the XF versions are the same and any installed add-ons, etc. are the same.

I am not sure I know how to go about this. I exported the old database to my computer using phpMyAdmin in cPanel. Of course it is a different name than the new database... so how can I import the old database into the new one?

Thanks again!

I wouldn't use phpMyAdmin for dumping and restoring - it is prone to error.

Use SSH instead.

Code:
mysqldump -udatabase_user -p --single-transaction --skip-lock-tables database_name > /path/to/backup/backup.sql

Restore:
Code:
mysql -udatabase_user -p database_name < backup.sql

Unfortunately I am totally lost with SSH. Don't even know how to set it up. Maybe I can get lucky with phpMyAdmin... if I am doing it right that is.

All addon's are the same... 3 that we added with the XF software and then Remove Two-Step Verification... only 4 installed on both forums.

Am I supposed to import the old database into the new one? Click on the new database in phpMyAdmin and import the old database file with the old name?

Thanks!

Yes... that was my intent... see previous post. I was just trying something different, hoping maybe they would merge. When I try importing it to an empty database, I get the first error. It not quite as straightforward as it is made out to be, that is for sure.

Unfortunately I am totally lost with SSH. Don't even know how to set it up. Maybe I can get lucky with phpMyAdmin... if I am doing it right that is.

I have had no problems using bigdump to restore databases via FTP

http://www.ozerov.de/bigdump/

Just remember to delete the files after the restore (for security). I have always just exported (gzipped) via the cpanel backup link rather than phpmyadmin export.

Top Bottom