XF 1.5 Backup everything except addons?

Blast

Is it possible to backup all the posts, threads, profile posts, etc? Then transfer them to a new database/site, then install the addons? Because I'm having issues with the old addons that I used before and 2 of those addons are from developers who are not active here anymore.

Backing up the database will back up all content, tables, etc. including related to add-ons.

The only way to remove add-on content from the database is by uninstalling them.

To back it up isn't possible. You can potentially import the content to a new install, but there are going to be things that will be lost so this is not something we recommend.

I would NEVER normally disagree with Brogan or Mike on any subject , but there is a way.. Its not easy but can be done with a little time and patience..

A few years ago I wrote a guide for the members and never got around to expanding on it further..

Guide:
https://xenforo.com/community/resources/database-backup-local-offsite.1554/

Sadly where the pictures were located is no longer available hence them not showing in the article.
Here is a slightly updated version , download & extract then select index file it will run in your default browser.
http://kodistream.info/temp/mysqldump_guide.zip

You can select what tables you want to be backed up or restored , just look through the explorer and it will tell you the addons table name, simply do not select them...

Always a good idea to take a complete backup first..

I would NEVER normally disagree with Brogan or Mike on any subject , but there is a way
And I'll have to agree with them. There are to many other dependencies that are there that just removing them from the "add-on" table (which is what I'm suspecting your are inferring). You have template mods that come into effect, DB table additions/modifications and more. There is NO safe way to modify (nor selectively back up limited tables) the DB the way you are indicating that would not eventually cause some issues.

Well I dare say I must of been very lucky on the half dozen or so times I HAVE achieved this...

As I say, I would never normally disagree with such brilliant minds as Brogan , Mike or anyone for that matter..

But I have never been a person to stay silent for the sake of it , I 100% know I have achieved this in the past. Maybe the addons were very basic. I just know it worked for me.
It did take a few practices , trial runs and the odd hair pulling out session. None the less I stand by MY claim.

Sorry guys..

It did take a few practices , trial runs and the odd hair pulling out session.

Yea, but if you were going to go through all those practice and trial runs and hair pulling sessions, why not just uninstall the addon's first and then do the backup? Surely it wouldn't take any longer and it would likely involve less hair pulling. :D

Yea, but if you were going to go through all those practice and trial runs and hair pulling sessions, why not just uninstall the addon's first and then do the backup? Surely it wouldn't take any longer and it would likely involve less hair pulling. :D

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: A very good point.. but by nature I like to try things to see what can be done.. This is in the past tense as old age and heavy medications means my old grey matter does not work the way it used to years ago. Sadly..:(

I would NEVER normally disagree with Brogan or Mike on any subject , but there is a way.. Its not easy but can be done with a little time and patience..

A few years ago I wrote a guide for the members and never got around to expanding on it further..

Guide:
https://xenforo.com/community/resources/database-backup-local-offsite.1554/

Sadly where the pictures were located is no longer available hence them not showing in the article.
Here is a slightly updated version , download & extract then select index file it will run in your default browser.
http://kodistream.info/temp/mysqldump_guide.zip

You can select what tables you want to be backed up or restored , just look through the explorer and it will tell you the addons table name, simply do not select them...

Always a good idea to take a complete backup first..

That is good only for add ons that add only tables in the database. But it is not possible, if they add other stuff like alerts, add to the news feed, report center or moderation queue to name a few things. Or add custom fields to the xenforo tables.

Top Bottom