Backing up database after vB4 migration

mistypants

I had a question regarding backing up my database. I upgraded from vBulletin 4 and that all went well. Before moving to Xenforo, my vBulletin database was averaging about 1GB in size, and I would backup usually from phpmyadmin. When I tried recently to backup the Xenforo database, it was around 15MB. This size discrepancy was so big that I wasn't sure it could be attributed to just vBulletin bloat.

So, my question is, are posts etc still stored in the old database that was being used for vBulletin, and should I continue to back that one up? Or is Xenforo really that marvelous that the database is only 15MB?

The import does not explain the difference in size. Do you have a lot of post attachments? XF stores post attachments in the file system, not in the database. If your forum is mostly attachments then that might explain the difference in db size.

The import does not explain the difference in size. Do you have a lot of post attachments? XF stores post attachments in the file system, not in the database. If your forum is mostly attachments then that might explain the difference in db size.
I don't think we had a notable number of attachments, no. I mean there were certainly a decent amount but it wasn't a widely used feature on our boards, most people opted to use image hosting services because of vB's poor attachment system. Although, many users did use uploaded avatars.

If it's any help in figuring out the database size, our stats are:
Discussions:​
119,786​
3,598,804​
Members:​
53,117​

15MB is way to less for a forum with 3.5 million messages.

Wh not simply look at your config file and see what database you are using? You can find the file at e.g.
/home/yourhostingusername/public_html/library/config.php
or
/home/yourhostingusername/public_html/forum/library/config.php if you have installed Xenforo in the forum directory

and $config['db']['dbname'] tells you the name of the database you are using.

Top Bottom