1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XF 1.2 Clean up database after import

Discussion in 'Installation, Upgrade, and Import Support' started by zastavra, Dec 18, 2013.

1. zastavra

zastavra Formally Stevez

I've switched from vb to xf and I'd like to ask if xenforo uses all these tables in the database? I mean, do I need now all these "for_" tables that came from vbulletin?

2. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

XenForo doesn't import nor create any tables from vBulletin during an import.

All it does is populate the XenForo tables with the data from the vBulletin database.

All of the XenForo tables are prefixed xf_.

zastavra likes this.
  3. zastavra

zastavra Formally Stevez

So, I guess I can safely drop all for_blahbla tables, right?

4. Brogan

Are the tables in the same database?
    You should have created a new, separate database for your new XenForo installation and imported into that.

5. zastavra

zastavra Formally Stevez

This is a new database than I created for the xf installation. I have no idea how all these tables found there.

6. Brogan

Can you post the full list of tables in code tags?
    I just want to see exactly what tables are in the database.

7. zastavra

zastavra Formally Stevez

Sure...

8. Brogan

It looks like you have a mixed database there with tables from both installs.
    Additionally, the number of XenForo tables is incomplete.

I would recommend doing a fresh install of XenForo using a new database and proceeding from there.

9. zastavra

zastavra Formally Stevez

Really? How did that happened?

The forum is live since 14 Dec.

10. Brogan

My guess is you installed XenForo into the existing database.
    Or you installed something else into the XenForo database.

Either way you have tables from multiple systems in the same database.

11. Adam Howard

Adam Howard Well-Known Member

I'm puzzled how you did this....

A correct import should have been leaving the vBulletin database alone and having XenForo installed in it's own database. You should never have installed them into the same database or merged them in any way, except for the importer which would have "converted" your vBulletin data to your XenForo data.

Assuming you have no add-ons installed in your XenForo install... It could be technically possible to weed through the vBulletin tables and remove them. I've done that for someone who did the same thing I think you did... But it would be a little timely.

12. Jeremy

Jeremy XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Depending on how you configure your XenForo installation, it is very possible to utilize the same Database, Adam. It, however, is not the recommended method.

SneakyDave likes this.
  13. Adam Howard

Adam Howard Well-Known Member

Never said it was impossible. Not sure where you got that from.

Did however say or imply that it wasn't exactly the way your should go about it though (ie... not recommended). ;)

14. Brogan

I believe I already said that, several times.

SneakyDave likes this.
  15. zastavra

zastavra Formally Stevez

I ve intalled it first in my testing site in a new database named test*** importing latest vb backup named vb***.sql

Then I created new database for the live site named xf*** importing again latest vb backup named vb2***.sql

test*** and xf*** have same structure now.

I dont think that is my mistake.

16. Brogan

Just to clarify, did you use the import function in phpMyAdmin, to import the database?

17. zastavra

zastavra Formally Stevez

No, I always use ssh, putty.

18. Brogan

My point was, importing is done from within the XenForo ACP.

Importing one database to another like this achieves nothing other than to combine all the tables into one database.

http://xenforo.com/help/importing/

19. zastavra

zastavra Formally Stevez

What now? Any sudgestions?

20. Brogan

Assuming you don't need any of the other tables and you have actually done the import from the ACP, you can remove any tables which were imported from the vBulletin database.