1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XF 1.4 Awww Snap - Chrome crashing

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting and Problems' started by Jim Boy, Feb 4, 2015.

1. Jim Boy

Jim Boy Well-Known Member

A number of my users are complaining about Chrome (latest version) crashing when on the forum. There doesn't seem to be any other real consistency that I can detect, some people report it happening when hovering over the alerts icon or when visiting the main forum page. Its been happening over the last couple of weeks including on different O/S.

There are no errors being reported on the server side, either in the server log or through other logs (eg load balancer).

I cannot reproduce the error hence it makes it hard to troubleshoot.

Anyone had any similar issues?

2. Amaury

Amaury Well-Known Member

Have you tried enabling the default XenForo style for them and seeing if it happens still?

3. Tracy Perry

Tracy Perry Well-Known Member

I've had the problem on my Mac.. and it's not been restricted to a XenForo site. I've had it happen on a WordPress one, on a couple of vBulletin ones and my XenForo ones. I think it's a problem in Chrome itself.

4. tyteen4a03

tyteen4a03 Well-Known Member

Chrome has been pretty crashy in recent releases.

5. FredC

FredC Well-Known Member

Ditto... I get this on TAZ frequently and a cpl Joomla sites also recently.

6. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Fixed!

7. Amaury

Amaury Well-Known Member

Firefox all the way!

8. Tracy Perry

Tracy Perry Well-Known Member

FireFlux has it's own problems. I don't feel like spending the 3 hours and 3000 words it would take to detail them. :p

9. Digital Doctor

Digital Doctor Well-Known Member

I typically get "
    Awww Snap - Chrome crashing
    from Adobe Flash plugin crashing.

10. Jim Boy

I think I'll put it down to chrome being crap

11. Jim Boy

After not being able to reproduce, have been able to reproduce regularly.

Getting it on forum home, if I refresh the page and put the mouse over alerts, it will crash on about 10% of occurences.

With javascript console on, the last message is always:

Code:

XenForo.activate([div.alertsPopup.__XenForoActivator, prevObject: e.fn.init[1], context: undefined, jquery: "1.11.0", constructor: function, selector: ""…])

One time, rather than crashing, I got an uncaught exception, image pasted below

chrome crash.png

Nothing is going into chrome://crashes, which I have enabled.

Comments aside about Chrome being crap, which really aren't helpful, anyone got any thoughts on this?

12. Mike

Mike XenForo Developer Staff Member

Well that uncaught exception is within the Facebook SDK so that might be relevant.

Jim Boy likes this.