Implemented Autosave post drafts

This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
Very good idea. It has happened me plenty of times on different forums that I was searching for something while writting new forum post and I accidantely closed wrong tab.
However, board administrators should be able to disable this option globally, but also endusers should be able to disable this option for themselves (you never know, maybe some users don't want their drafts to be saved).

oh yeah it should be a higher priority now, I was writting a whole article on the tutorials forum. and lost it just this morning :(.

I think the auto save draft feature should save when you have typed something and navigate away from the page, or every 1 or 2 or 5 minutes etc..

I think it should be admin settable

like above(the navigate away part)
but also
every x amount of characters typed
every x amount of minutes
OMG! something just came to my attention thanks...ima go suggestion something :P

I find that FireFox and Chrome do a good job if I accidentally moved away from a post I was editing ... simply hitting back seems to work fairly well.
I think IE almost always loses the post. I'll try this in Chrome right now.

Worked. :)
Essentially I typed the above ... then I hit [6] to go the the sixth page ... and then hit back ... and I didn't lose anything.

Chrome.png

Thank you Chrome.

I wanted to bump this, as well as say that it would be nice if you can permanently save a post as a draft. Sometimes, I want to write a review, but rather than posting part of the review and saying it's a work in progress, it would be nice to be able to save the post as a draft, and finalize it when it's complete. :)

As long as you don't get the popup some other forum has that shows up even if you don't type anything, it'll get my vote..

(Are you sure you want to leave)

If it is necessary to provide only autopreservation of forms by means of HTML5 Local Storage, that is JavaScript. It is necessary to include only it in loading of page and to specify, what to keep.

I have been nailed on this too many times. As well you get pulled away and it times out.

So, yesterday I created a very long post with quoted formatted material on OpenOffice. But the copy and paste to XF was a nightmare trying to fix all the issues created.

Really need a 'Save Draft' function. Might be other options but if too complicated many posters would consider it unusable.

Reeaaallly need this!

MyBB has the "Save As Draft" option (not auto save). You do it manually instead to finish something off later, I liked that feature and it stored all drafts saved in your User CP under a draft section listed there. Not really a fan myself of "Auto Draft Saving", like WordPress and vBulletin 4 offers with that new editor used. Would that not bloat your database really fast (auto saving drafts) every so often if you've got lots of members it's happening to constantly all at once with their postings being made?

How many times have you had the misfortune of navigating out from a page where you were previously writing a long-ish post and had to start again?

Would it help you if your post was saved at intervals as a draft?
Totally useless, IMO. A modern browser will save your POST content. For example, type some text into Quick Reply below (while using Chrome), then press the Back button. If you press the Forward button, the text you previously typed is still there. Plus, there is the crazy auto-save data management. Did you looked how it is done in Wordpress or worst in vBulletin? I certainly hope this will never be implemented and instead the developers will focus on much more important features that are missing from current software.

I think that's why, if anything it's better being a manual thing you choose to save a daft to come back another time and finish. Used WordPress and Autosave in it, not a fan of auto saving feature.

I agree on the manual. Saving every few minutes can be a real plus.

As for the forward button, if you accidentally close the tab or window, which happens real easily if you have more than one open, you lost the post.

And how about a power outage? Gone.

Totally useless, IMO. A modern browser will save your POST content. For example, type some text into Quick Reply below (while using Chrome), then press the Back button. If you press the Forward button, the text you previously typed is still there. Plus, there is the crazy auto-save data management. Did you looked how it is done in Wordpress or worst in vBulletin? I certainly hope this will never be implemented and instead the developers will focus on much more important features that are missing from current software.

I don't think browsers save your POST content when you accidentally close the tab. I have yet to see myself press the forward or back controls inadvertantly.

You press the Back inadvertently, the same way you close a tab. I often do the Back because of my mouse buttons. Honestly, if you close the tab "by accident", it is entirely your fault and you deserve to redo the post. Personally, I'm using a lot the Shift button in Chrome... you should also. :) As a side note, the Back does stores the data into browser memory. So if you are worried about losing your post... simply press on Back, then on Forward and close the tab. Re-open it with Ctrl+Shift+T, your text will be there. But then, why not just use Ctrl+C instead?

I certainly do NOT want to have Xenforo loaded with useless code that slows down the overall processing. A better suggestion would be to have the tabs fixed into editor instead, so you can paste properly code.

Happy new year! 5:38pm in Montreal.

Top Bottom