1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Implemented Autoresponders / Welcome PM function

Discussion in 'Closed Suggestions' started by James, Aug 5, 2010.

1. James

James Well-Known Member

I'd like some form of autoresponder feature for welcome threads or a welcome PC function that just starts a conversation with a user outlining all of the features of {forum} and some quick links.

2. Brandon_R

Brandon_R Guest

This is better well suited in a notice which links to a node page which you can make with the custom page feature.

3. Cezz

Cezz Well-Known Member

I don't know I think welcome PC's would be very welcome, though If I join a site and get a welcome PM I tend to ignore it.

4. James

James Well-Known Member

Custom pages is an idea but I like to give my users a welcoming feeling by PM (or PC) just highlighting links to useful information etc.

5. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

That's exactly why I send a PM to new users.

6. Cezz

Cezz Well-Known Member

Agreed this is where they are useful, on my vB forum I actually go overboard in some cased... 1. I send them a welcome PM... 2. I leave a visitor message on their profile... 3. I open a thread in the Offtopic forum welcoming them... The mod I use though actually sends each of the public messages from a random admin account (pick of 4) and randomizes the messages both the title and the message it self is picked from 6 possible combinations... Looks as if it was manual that way, or atleast more manual.

As you can see I think that the PM welcome message system would be useful :p

7. Brogan

That sounds more like stalking to me :D

anotheralias likes this.
  8. Cezz

Cezz Well-Known Member

PMSL it works though :)... it seems to be well taken by most users and they actually reply to the automated messages :D

9. ManagerJosh

ManagerJosh Well-Known Member

Is it an overly abused/used function? Or is it worth having?

10. Vincent

Vincent Well-Known Member

11. Brandon_R

Brandon_R Guest

I have hundreds of vBulletin forum welcome emails from vbulletin forums where i register in my inbox and never read any of them. Unless the devs can come up with a more useful way then i don't think it's worth having but it's not off the table.

12. ManagerJosh

ManagerJosh Well-Known Member

13. Peggy

Peggy Well-Known Member

Merging :)

14. Shelley

Shelley Well-Known Member

Or it could be sent to the new members profile page?

15. James

James Well-Known Member

Private Conversations are more subtle IMO. It allows them to receive their instructions/advice via something familiar (if they've visited forums before) and a conversation is automatically started with an Administrator if they have any queries. :)

Shelley likes this.
  16. Vincent

Vincent Well-Known Member

Yeah, PC's are way better than PM's

EDIT: I think I'm going for convo instead of PC :)

17. James

James Well-Known Member

If you think about it, especially with new software like this, because it's all changed you're going to have a lot of confused users.

They receive their PC/PM/Convo and it's something like:

Frankly I feel information like that should be received privately to prevent tarnishing their lovely wall. :cool:

18. James

James Well-Known Member

Just wondering if this is going to be implemented!

19. Grover

Grover Well-Known Member

I love your idea. Just a short welcome PC would be sufficient for me (I mean, we can always add the contents I guess in the ACP). I believe it can give our new members a very welcome feeling when they see their first [red indicator] on their Inbox and then discover this 'personal' welcome message.

Only 1 thing... who will be the sender of this PC? I don't want it to be me (admin) because I do not want to be dragged into any Conversation based on this welcome message...

AmericanForum.com likes this.
  20. Brogan

;)

lock.PNG

Abomination likes this.