Automatically transfer all post attachments to Media Gallery

Yes I'm also needing something similar.

Where a users attachments are put into a gallery for that user. No user is currently using the gallery but addons such as media of the month only work from the gallery.

The only requirements for our forum would be attachments straight to user gallery which if it doesnt exist is created. The user could then set their own gallery as private or otherwise.

Something simple like this would be awesome and I'm sure lots of forum admins are thinking the same just like we are.

I purchased MG and in the process of manually downloading--converting--uploading existing images to the gallery/albums. I hate it, but I'm doing it because the content and images on my site will be used for generations to come. It is so important to keep the content with the image files that the add-ons, like the external host link converters, are essential. I can get the majority of the content and images on my server but need a way to link back from images to find the original content it was attached to.

I am willing to pay to have it developed so you can add me to your list of contributors.

In my perfect world I would want:
-- When a user attaches an image file to a post, require them to choose an album from a predefined list.
-- Allow tagging for each image at the time of upload.
-- Store the image file in MG as an image file instead of in internal_data with a .data extension (I never understood why this is this way)
-- Link in both directions. From images displayed in posts to the image in MG and from the image in MG back to the post(s).

That's the basics that I need. I'm trying to create a legacy site with the knowledge base and images to last for years. The site has already been around for 17 years. As we get better at getting all the content on the same server (so we can control it) the content just needs to be easily navigated.

I purchased MG and in the process of manually downloading--converting--uploading existing images to the gallery/albums. I hate it, but I'm doing it because the content and images on my site will be used for generations to come. It is so important to keep the content with the image files that the add-ons, like the external host link converters, are essential. I can get the majority of the content and images on my server but need a way to link back from images to find the original content it was attached to.

I am willing to pay to have it developed so you can add me to your list of contributors.

In my perfect world I would want:
-- When a user attaches an image file to a post, require them to choose an album from a predefined list.
-- Allow tagging for each image at the time of upload.
-- Store the image file in MG as an image file instead of in internal_data with a .data extension (I never understood why this is this way)
-- Link in both directions. From images displayed in posts to the image in MG and from the image in MG back to the post(s).

That's the basics that I need. I'm trying to create a legacy site with the knowledge base and images to last for years. The site has already been around for 17 years. As we get better at getting all the content on the same server (so we can control it) the content just needs to be easily navigated.
That sounds like a huge ballache.

That sounds like a huge ballache.
That pretty much explains it. LOL I have 70-80k image files to deal with. This isn't all that many compared to other sites, but I still figure it could take me up to a year to get them all uploaded. Choosing a destination album is the human interaction requirement but once they're stored, the forum users can help tag the files for better sorting.

That pretty much explains it. LOL I have 70-80k image files to deal with. This isn't all that many compared to other sites, but I still figure it could take me up to a year to get them all uploaded. Choosing a destination album is the human interaction requirement but once they're stored, the forum users can help tag the files for better sorting.

I'd be interested in how you are doing that in more detail. I'd love to have XMG but have a similar issue.

I assumed when buying XFMG this would be included, guess I had to read. Also looking at something similar to what is mentioned.

Either people can select what category to post their attachment in Media Gallery or have certain nodes/forum sections to automatically direct to a certain category in the Media Gallery.

Hopefully it is also possible that if the Media Gallery item is from a post attachment to include the post link where the item originally got posted in.

I would sure love an add-on that automatically added pics from select forums to the gallery in some way. The photos and images are valuable and quick access to them without wading through lots of threads, would be awesome.

There are huge needs and problems around managing attachments (such as pictures, documents etc.). And there are not many addons around that unfortunately.

There is an attachment related addon I know of which is by @wmtech.

I was actually preparing to make suggestions for his addon called Attachment Manager. But since this thread got bumped again, I thought I can tag him. Maybe he can read this thread and has interest to adopt stuff to his addon which were mentioned here.

As an example, what I would like to have is a moderator action, which can be used within threads.
I select a thread for moderation -> I choose my action "attach all attachments in this thread to" -> select content type (Resource Manager, Media Gallery, 3rd party addon) -> enter ID.

Now all images in the thread are also in the gallery of the content type which I selected and will be from now on.

Some, like RM, has associated threads to them. So in that case with one tick one could include all images in the associated thread to the RM item for example.

The official addons don't get love for many many many years now. And perhaps 2.2 will address stuff, who knows?

That would be great to have a mod and them to the correct gallery real easy. I toss some $$$ in the pot to make this type of add-on happen.

There is an attachment related addon I know of which is by @wmtech.

Our attachment add-on for XF 2.1 has already a lot of features and makes it easy for your users to delete and reuse their attachments.
I am sure we will extend it's features in the future. Suggestions are always welcome.

I would buy the media gallery if it let people view what was uploaded to threads by tags or something.

Too many attachements get lost and the idea of two places to upload media to is just confusing as a forum.

We already have ideas for integrating forum attachments into the XFMG as we also see the possible confusion of users.

Our attachment add-on for XF 2.1 has already a lot of features and makes it easy for your users to delete and reuse their attachments.
I am sure we will extend it's features in the future. Suggestions are always welcome.

We already have ideas for integrating forum attachments into the XFMG as we also see the possible confusion of users.
WMTECH,

Are you part of the official XF team or a separate entity? [I wish we used real names and identities!]

What are those “ideas” instructions we can now use, else potential schemes for bringing such ideas to the stage where they can be implemented?

Asher

Top Bottom