1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Implemented Automatic Title Case

Discussion in 'Closed Suggestions' started by Anthony Parsons, Aug 18, 2010.

1. Anthony Parsons

Anthony Parsons Well-Known Member

This is more of a neatness effect, so a forum admin can adopt a specific style to forum titles. Since PHP has the functions to change strings to lowercase, uppercase, startcase, etc... I believe it is a little nicety that refines a forum and removes the often clunky, misguided methods of typing thread titles.

Sentence case: http://www.php.net/manual/en/function.ucfirst.php
    Start case: http://php.net/manual/en/function.ucwords.php
    Lower, Upper, etc: http://www.php.net/manual/en/function.mb-convert-case.php

Would be nice as an admin to just check an option to enforce a set title casing across the forum, regardless what users type.
  2. DSF

DSF Well-Known Member

Oh no no no, in german and french has words in lower/upper differ meanings :mad:
  3. Forsaken

Forsaken Well-Known Member

It would be an admin option; so it would be easy to turn off and on.
  4. jmurrayhead

jmurrayhead Well-Known Member

I fully supported this suggestion at vBulletin...I will fully support it here, as well. :)
    Exactly...just because it won't work for other languages, doesn't mean we shouldn't have it for the language(s) it DOES work for.
  5. Kier

Kier XenForo Developer Staff Member

Probably an easy thing to add. I'll take a look.
    thedude and jmurrayhead like this.
  6. James

James Well-Known Member

Can't you just use text-transform in your CSS to do this? It'll save on the serverside code (if you're doing it via PHP).
  7. Kier

text-transform couldn't do sentence case, but otherwise yes you could.
  8. Kier

All done.

Screen shot 2010-08-18 at 14.41.05.png
    thedude, krstep, Ceri May and 2 others like this.
  9. Mike

Mike XenForo Developer Staff Member

I've already pointed out the typo. ;)
  10. Lisa

Lisa Well-Known Member

he he he
  11. Forsaken

I saw it before, and was just about to point it out too ;(.
  12. Brandon_R

Brandon_R Guest

Can't believe i missed that. I guess i was all caught up in the excitement of the things getting released today.
  13. Nick

Nick Well-Known Member

I don't oppose this feature since it's optional, but I honestly don't see why one would want to apply these changes to a thread title.

What if my thread title includes a book/movie/other-work title? Then it's going to get changed and essentially be improper. e.g., "Have you read State of Fear?" (proper) -> "Have you read state of fear?" (improper).

I personally would be irked if a forum changed my thread titles from proper capitalization to improper capitalization.
    Big, DomainArchitect.com and krstep like this.
  14. Forsaken

I'd have preferred a method to just stop members from shouting; that tends to get annoying.
  15. Nick

Nick Well-Known Member

Yeah, me too. It's been suggested.
  16. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Seems a bit draconian to me.

What if I want to do a thread title in all lower or uppercase?
  17. Brandon_R

Brandon_R Guest

I think this got implemented way too quick because it was easy to implement. Lets see what people think first.
  18. Onimua

Onimua Well-Known Member

Then on your board you can. While all lowercase isn't bothersome, READING A TITLE LIKE THIS WOULD BE QUITE ANNOYING. People generally find all caps more annoying than anything else.
  19. Kier

Was implemented way too quick? That's a new one on me. Besides which, it ships with the option disabled, so there are no draconian measures here.
    Booth, krstep, Ceri May and 1 other person like this.
  20. Forsaken

We demand you be much slower in development, or we'll be angry!!!!!11111