Implemented  Automatic Title Case

Anthony Parsons

This is more of a neatness effect, so a forum admin can adopt a specific style to forum titles. Since PHP has the functions to change strings to lowercase, uppercase, startcase, etc... I believe it is a little nicety that refines a forum and removes the often clunky, misguided methods of typing thread titles.

Sentence case: http://www.php.net/manual/en/function.ucfirst.php
Start case: http://php.net/manual/en/function.ucwords.php
Lower, Upper, etc: http://www.php.net/manual/en/function.mb-convert-case.php

Would be nice as an admin to just check an option to enforce a set title casing across the forum, regardless what users type.

Upvote 0
This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
Nice to see this has been implemented :)

I hate SHOUTING CAPS TITLES ALL THE DAMN TIME ON MY BOAOOOOAOARRRDDD.. :D :D

I think what many miss about this, and many other features implemented, that they are not going to suit everyone.

Grover, please review other implemented options and you see the same thing... positives and negatives, for and against. What gets added is not up to any of us, we only make suggestions.

What I take out of this is:
  • Its only an option, not a permanent fixture upon any admins board.
  • PHP have them as default functions, so PHP can't be wrong.
  • Kier showed exactly how easy it is to add additional default functions to the system.
  • Whilst it will not please all, nobody is forcing anyone to use it, just like many other features.
People seriously need to step back from suggestions and implementations, and look at the bigger picture beyond just themselves. Kier could have rejected it, and that would be fine with me. He accepted it and implemented it, also fine with me as the person suggesting.

I don't like, nor will I use, several implementations, however; it doesn't make those implementations wrong. I simply will "choose" to not use them, but I certainly am not going to jump up and down for them being implemented... again, I have zero right to tell the developers of this software what they can, can't, should or shouldn't add to their product. We all make suggestions and our input ends at that.

Grover, please review other implemented options and you see the same thing... positives and negatives, for and against. What gets added is not up to any of us, we only make suggestions.

Trust me, I do :). And on a day-to-day basis, seriously. And I happen to like and agree with 95% of everything XenForo Ltd. is doing. It is awesome. However, I am entitled to express my opinion. I have every right to do that and of course it is not meant as a they 'should' or 'should not': I do so only to help improve the product, not to disrespect anybody. And certainly not to only look at my own needs... you can learn this if you would read the majority of my suggestions.

Respectfully,
me.

The best way to show support for a suggestion is to "Like it" and/or post in the thread with supporting comments.

The best way to NOT show support for a suggestion is to ignore the thread completely.
  1. because, as an optional feature, you don't have to use it, so it shouldn't really matter to you
  2. if they notice only one or two people support it, without having to dig through all the people who posted that don't support it, it might not get implemented
Sometimes...saying nothing, says it all. I wish more people would exercise that. Discussion on a suggestion is good, for example, in case it may cause a serious problem with the software. But, discussing the impact of using such feature on your OWN communities is simply not needed, because you can turn the feature off. Particularly, posts by people who say, "if this is implemented, I won't use XenForo"...seriously, stfu.

Sorry, that's my rant for the day :p

I think what many miss about this, and many other features implemented, that they are not going to suit everyone.

What I take out of this is:
  • Its only an option, not a permanent fixture upon any admins board.
  • PHP have them as default functions, so PHP can't be wrong.
  • Kier showed exactly how easy it is to add additional default functions to the system.
  • Whilst it will not please all, nobody is forcing anyone to use it, just like many other features.
People seriously need to step back from suggestions and implementations, and look at the bigger picture beyond just themselves. Kier could have rejected it, and that would be fine with me. He accepted it and implemented it, also fine with me as the person suggesting.

I don't like, nor will I use, several implementations, however; it doesn't make those implementations wrong. I simply will "choose" to not use them, but I certainly am not going to jump up and down for them being implemented... again, I have zero right to tell the developers of this software what they can, can't, should or shouldn't add to their product. We all make suggestions and our input ends at that.

I see where you're coming from, but I am looking at this from both an admin and a user perspective, if I don't like something with my admin glasses on, then fair enough I'll just ignore the feature, but with my user glasses on I don't like to see features added to the core product, optional or not, that would just bug me to distraction. If something is an option in the core product then it will be used a lot more than an add-on which you have to seek out, therefore my preference would be to not add an annoying optional feature to the core product.

By the way PHP can be wrong, it's certainly not some holy grail of language standards. ;)

I see where you're coming from, but I am looking at this from both an admin and a user perspective, if I don't like something with my admin glasses on, then fair enough I'll just ignore the feature, but with my user glasses on I don't like to see features added to the core product, optional or not, that would just bug me to distraction. If something is an option in the core product then it will be used a lot more than an add-on which you have to seek out, therefore my preference would be to not add an annoying optional feature to the core product.

A good point, this.

A good point, this.
Depends on how the Admin area is designed. All these "annoying features" could be neatly tucked away under a tab called "Additional Features". That way, they aren't right in your face in what you would consider to be "true" core features, but still available to those who might want to use them.

Depends on how the Admin area is designed. All these "annoying features" could be neatly tucked away under a tab called "Additional Features". That way, they aren't right in your face in what you would consider to be "true" core features, but still available to those who might want to use them.

This is not what Waddy meant (he is talking about the USER experience if an Admin decides to activate a function like this), or maybe I am misunderstanding you.

This is not what Waddy meant (he is talking about the USER experience if an Admin decides to activate a function like this), or maybe I am misunderstanding you.

Yes, that's what I was getting at, if the feature is one that I believe most users will find annoying, i.e. not being able to use acronyms in titles or not being able to correctly capitalise titles then I don't think it should be a core feature. Admins may implement the option to solve the problem of ALL CAPS or aNNoYinG TITleS, but in my opinion they are just creating a greater annoyance for users.

It's all about the options, give me all the options you can. Do I personally have a use for this? Nope, not yet, but I might. And now I have the option to use it if I choose to. (Although I'd like to see this on per forum as opposed to a global setting, not sure which it is now?).

Anyway, the bottom line is... it's called an option for a reason... it's... optional. =)

Top Bottom