XF 1.5 Automated bounced email setup issue

tommydamic68

So I tried to set up automated bounced email system and it appears to not be working, any input would be appreciated. here is what I have in my settings and on my email account on the server. I tried a test bounce email and it did not work.

Screen Shot 2016-03-02 at 5.29.46 AM.webp Screen Shot 2016-03-02 at 5.30.35 AM.webp

Have you logged into the bounce email account to see if it received a bounced email?
Yes. I changed my email accounts email address on the site to a non working email and sent a test conversation to it and my server did pick it up as a bad address, but nothing went to the bounce email account. And I sent just a regular "test" bounced email account to ensure the email account is working and it did receive the regular test email.

Umm, there aren't any email transport methods selected? That shouldn't happen. I have to guess you have (or had) an add-on installed that manipulated this?

Umm, there aren't any email transport methods selected? That shouldn't happen. I have to guess you have (or had) an add-on installed that manipulated this?
The only email add on was [BD] mail. But its uninstalled for a week or so. Should I add content in there and what needs to be added. Honestly I don't recall anything being there in the past. Emails do work fine on the site, as expected.

You should choose the default option and have the return path option selected. (The bounce config mentions it might not function without this.)

You should choose the default option and have the return path option selected. (The bounce config mentions it might not function without this.)
I did so with F perimeter and it worked. Thank you. Side note (it did not change that test user from being a "valid" state however.)

Last edited:
What does the email bounce log show in the control panel? It's not an instantaneous process; it's checked every 30 minutes. Note that you reading the mail may cause XF to not read it for processing.

Im recieving this server error.

Code:
Zend_Mail_Storage_Exception: cannot login, user or password wrong - library/Zend/Mail/Storage/Imap.php:279
Generated By: Unknown Account, 4 minutes ago
Stack Trace
#0 /home/admin/public_html/community/library/XenForo/Model/EmailBounce.php(292): Zend_Mail_Storage_Imap->__construct(Array)
#1 /home/admin/public_html/community/library/XenForo/Deferred/EmailBounce.php(19): XenForo_Model_EmailBounce->openBounceHandlerConnection()
#2 /home/admin/public_html/community/library/XenForo/Model/Deferred.php(295): XenForo_Deferred_EmailBounce->execute(Array, Array, 7.99999904633, '')
#3 /home/admin/public_html/community/library/XenForo/Model/Deferred.php(429): XenForo_Model_Deferred->runDeferred(Array, 7.99999904633, '', false)
#4 /home/admin/public_html/community/library/XenForo/Model/Deferred.php(374): XenForo_Model_Deferred->_runInternal(Array, NULL, '', false)
#5 /home/admin/public_html/community/deferred.php(23): XenForo_Model_Deferred->run(false)
#6 {main}
Request State
array(3) {
  ["url"] => string(44) "http://sphynxlair.com/community/deferred.php"
  ["_GET"] => array(0) {
  }
  ["_POST"] => array(4) {
    ["_xfRequestUri"] => string(39) "/community/threads/izmaes-dinner.35411/"
    ["_xfNoRedirect"] => string(1) "1"
    ["_xfToken"] => string(8) "********"
    ["_xfResponseType"] => string(4) "json"
  }

Im recieving this server error.

Code:
Zend_Mail_Storage_Exception: cannot login, user or password wrong - library/Zend/Mail/Storage/Imap.php:279
Generated By: Unknown Account, 4 minutes ago
Stack Trace
#0 /home/admin/public_html/community/library/XenForo/Model/EmailBounce.php(292): Zend_Mail_Storage_Imap->__construct(Array)
#1 /home/admin/public_html/community/library/XenForo/Deferred/EmailBounce.php(19): XenForo_Model_EmailBounce->openBounceHandlerConnection()
#2 /home/admin/public_html/community/library/XenForo/Model/Deferred.php(295): XenForo_Deferred_EmailBounce->execute(Array, Array, 7.99999904633, '')
#3 /home/admin/public_html/community/library/XenForo/Model/Deferred.php(429): XenForo_Model_Deferred->runDeferred(Array, 7.99999904633, '', false)
#4 /home/admin/public_html/community/library/XenForo/Model/Deferred.php(374): XenForo_Model_Deferred->_runInternal(Array, NULL, '', false)
#5 /home/admin/public_html/community/deferred.php(23): XenForo_Model_Deferred->run(false)
#6 {main}
Request State
array(3) {
  ["url"] => string(44) "http://sphynxlair.com/community/deferred.php"
  ["_GET"] => array(0) {
  }
  ["_POST"] => array(4) {
    ["_xfRequestUri"] => string(39) "/community/threads/izmaes-dinner.35411/"
    ["_xfNoRedirect"] => string(1) "1"
    ["_xfToken"] => string(8) "********"
    ["_xfResponseType"] => string(4) "json"
  }
Can you post an updated screenshot so we can see you have the correct settings?

Ok, I think the issue may have been the password to the email account being incorrect in the ACP. So I did a test today again (did not open bounced email) It shows the bounce email in the email log and on my email server but the user still remains valid. Any thoughts?

Screen Shot 2016-03-04 at 5.45.58 AM.webp

Also, that user is a moderator. There are specific exemptions for staff members (as it prevents them from losing permissions, similar to them not having to manually confirm their email after changing).

So correcting the password to my bounced email account was the issue for the server errors. Also, after removing the user from being moderator, test the email bounce system again, it was a "hard" bounce, it then put the user state as expected "email invalid (bounced)." Once the email was corrected it made the account valid again. Thanks for the help everyone.

Top Bottom