Lack of interest Autolock threads after X replies...

This suggestion has been closed automatically because it did not receive enough votes over an extended period of time. If you wish to see this, please search for an open suggestion and, if you don't find any, post a new one.
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
I would say this is grounds for an Add-On. I can't see why this would be appear in the core, I don't think I've ever had the need for this functionality.

Could you give me an example where this functionality would be brought to good use?

Is there already a lock thread after xx days of inactivity?

I like this, I think the lock thread after X days of inactivity would be a good part of the core product.

I would say this is grounds for an Add-On. I can't see why this would be appear in the core, I don't think I've ever had the need for this functionality.

Could you give me an example where this functionality would be brought to good use?

This is used extensively on one of the forums I frequent - it encourages megathreads to be kept up to date and overall improves their quality since the OP varies.

I didn't realise this wasn't in XenForo (simply because my forum is too small to need it) - definitely needs added.

This is used extensively on one of the forums I frequent - it encourages megathreads to be kept up to date and overall improves their quality since the OP varies.

Yet surely you would have 2-3 threads of the same nature - surely that's redundant? I can understand from the point that the user would miss the posts in the middle of the thread, yet that is true in even the little threads, For example: I read the first page and the last.

I like this, I think the lock thread after X days of inactivity would be a good part of the core product.
Once a thread gets too long... it becomes an administration nightmare...

For instance, on SRK, there is a thread with 32,000 replies. It is impossible to do any admin functions on it. It can't be locked, moved, approved, etc... because the amount of memory required to process it is outside the scope of the php memory limit. It would be nice if we can simply set "auto lock after 10,000 replies", so that issues like this aren't issues anymore.

Once a thread gets too long... it becomes an administration nightmare...

For instance, on SRK, there is a thread with 32,000 replies. It is impossible to do any admin functions on it. It can't be locked, moved, approved, etc... because the amount of memory required to process it is outside the scope of the php memory limit. It would be nice if we can simply set "auto lock after 10,000 replies", so that issues like this aren't issues anymore.

I guess you have a valid point, yet you don't really need 3-4 threads (like to use your example as an example).

If you limited it to 10,000 posts per thread. That would require 4 threads, surely that's redundant, and a nightmare in itself?

Yet surely you would have 2-3 threads of the same nature - surely that's redundant?

Many of the threads have version numbers extending into 3 digits. It isn't an issue since only the latest can be bumped.

This is 8000 or so online users we're talking about though, it would be a terrible idea on a small forum.

I guess you have a valid point, yet you don't really need 3-4 threads (like to use your example as an example).

If you limited it to 10,000 posts per thread. That would require 4 threads, surely that's redundant, and a nightmare in itself?
Why would it be a nightmare? The first thread reaches 10,000... it automatically locks. People create new thread.

We have in our vB boards a custom add-on for this.

Once a "fun thread" (defined by mods/admins) reaches 5000 posts, the script create a new thread, links in the old to the new and closes the old.

I like this.

Is there already a lock thread after xx days of inactivity?

Didn't see an answer, but this does seem like core function materials.....

that is, "close all threads either/or after 3 months of inactivity or after X posts".

In my case, I'd probably never use the X posts, but always use the inactivity model.

Ideally, a prefix could be automatically added to such threads if desired.
Heck, for all I know, this is already in force...gotta dig through the prefix manager.

Top Bottom