• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Auto Watch Thread After Posting

I maybe being stupid here (more than likely!) and perhaps this is a standard feature but I've not found anything after looking.

Is there a way so that when you post in a thread, it automatically subscribes you to that thread and you receive alerts for any new post whether a post of yours is quoted or not?

Sorry if this has been brought up before, I did search but couldn't find anything.

Thank you.

So just to clarify I'm looking for a feature or addon that allows automatic watching of a thread after posting.

I believe this was a standard feature in the forum software which must not be named before we migrated to XenForo so I'm sure the feature is available somewhere. Thanks.

Knew it would be right under my nose thank you very much for pointing that out, most appreciated. Is there a way I can update all existing accounts to have the 'automatically watch threads th....' box ticked? I'm assuming a sql query will be the only way for existing members while for newly registered members that can be changed in the admin.

Chris D

XenForo developer
Staff member
Yeah this query should do it:

Code:
UPDATE `xf_user_option` SET `default_watch_state` = 'watch_no_email'
That will set the default for all current users so that threads are automatically watched when they reply.

Alternatively:

Code:
UPDATE `xf_user_option` SET `default_watch_state` = 'watch_email'
That will set it so they watch the thread with emails.

Code:
UPDATE `xf_user_option` SET `default_watch_state` = ''
That will disable auto watch.