Auto log-in user on PWA app

Hmm .. I am not sure if I understand this suggestion.

So far my workflow is:
  1. Start a browser (usually Chrome) on my smartphone
  2. Log into a XenForo and make sure checkbox "Stay logged in" is checked
  3. Click "Install the app" in the burger menu
  4. Close the browser
At this point the PWA is installed, I can lauch it from my homescreen / apps menu and I am logged in.

Why would I need a token to log me in, what would be the benefit?

Last edited:
Hmm .. I am not sure if I understand this suggestion.

So far my workflow is:
  1. Start a browser (usually Chrome) on my smartphone
  2. Log into a XenForo and make sure checkbox "Stay logged in" is checked
  3. Click "Install the app" in the burger menu
  4. Close the browser

At this point the PWA is installed, I can lauch it from my homescreen / apps menu and I am logged in.

Why would I need a token to log me in, what would be the benefit?
Because on iOS when you install the PWA, you end up with an app that you aren't logged into. Probably something to do with iOS keeping "apps" isolated from each other (a PWA app isn't going to be sharing cookies with a browser app for example). Just a guess on the "why", but that makes sense to me knowing how iOS sandboxes apps and their data from each other (a PWA isn't going to inherit any cookies from a browser [and vice versa] because an app can't read another app's data).

Thanks for the explanation :)

In this case a one-time token would indeed make sense, though I wouldn't feel comfortable if the token could be used more than once.

Thanks for the explanation :)

In this case a one-time token would indeed make sense, though I wouldn't feel comfortable if the token could be used more than once.
Ya would definitely need to be single use and expiring as well. Basically just a mechanism to do the initial login is all. After that, the PWA has its own user/session cookies.

It’s been a while since I’ve looked at the specifics, but I’m not sure we can vary the manifest for users because I think the WebAPK build/update process for Android expects it to be static. This is why we pull values from the default style and language rather than the visitor's selected style.

Last edited:
Was literally just coming here to post that...

PWAs share Service Worker's registration and CacheStorage with Safari. This new behavior matches what happens on Android when you install a PWA. However, Cookies, Web Storage, and IndexedDB are still isolated and separately from Safari and other icons of the same PWAs. That is, partial storage will be available when you open a PWA from the home screen.

It’s been a while since I’ve looked at the specifics, but I’m not sure we can vary the manifest for users because I think the WebAPK build/update process for Android expects it to be static. This is why we pull values from the default style and language rather than the visitor's selected style.
Not sure if relevant but the manifest now
supports an ID field which we now include. That perhaps means it’s safer to have a dynamic start_url but not entirely comfortable as it doesn’t feel like that’s what it should be used for.

CacheStorage might be worth looking at.

Did a basic test and it doesn't look like localStorage is shared between Safari and PWA app in 16.4.

Staring Episode 2 GIF by The Office

That perhaps means it’s safer to have a dynamic start_url but not entirely comfortable as it doesn’t feel like that’s what it should be used for.
If memory serves (and it very well may not), the issue was Google distributing a single WebAPK for all users (and any manifest changes are detected as updates that should be pushed to all users). And this "implementation detail" was buried in some issue tracker somewhere rather than being properly documented, so I'm not sure if that still is (or ever was) entirely accurate.

I guess we could special-case Safari manifests, but I think CacheStorage is likely a more appropriate mechanism for implementing this.

I found a simpler test/demo someone else made (mine was hidden behind some user authentication), and it doesn't seem to work in their demo either:

That was supposed to be a demo of how to get data between Safari and PWA standalone app. Was from 2018, so I'm guessing it used to work before they changed everything in 16.4.

Last edited:
Not sure if relevant but the manifest now
supports an ID field which we now include. That perhaps means it’s safer to have a dynamic start_url but not entirely comfortable as it doesn’t feel like that’s what it should be used for.

CacheStorage might be worth looking at.
Was reading more documentation on the id property (which Safari supports), and it does seem to me that using id as the unique identifier and back to my original idea for a single-use/expiring token in the start_url might be the best route.

Even if CacheStorage starts working for Safari -> PWA handoff, it's incredibly hacky. Storing the content of a fake URL so you can read in that page content from browser cache later is well... pretty ugly (even if it worked).

Not sure about the intricacies with Google distributing a single WebAPK to all users, but from what I've been skimming, it looks like Google has switched to using id instead of start_url as the unique manifest identifier in Chrome 96.

I found a lot of stuff talking about how it might be best to generate the id in the manifest file with the registered user's ID. Not sure it would be of much use for normal users, but one interesting thing you can do with that is install two different PWA instances (if they have a unique ID set) where you are getting push notifications and things for different users (you can log in as different users in that scenario since they are considered different "apps"). My point is that maybe Google generating a single WebAPK for all users isn't a thing anymore? If it did, wouldn't that be a limitation on Android where you can't have two unique PWA instances for a single site?

Another possible option would be to simply let Android generate a new WebAPK after the browser -> PWA onboarding... onboarding token included initially but then if the request for the manifest file is coming from something already in PWA mode, don't include the onboarding token... goes back to "normal" then at the expense of Android needing to rebuild the WebAPK once after the fact.

Some stuff for reference:

Last edited:
My point is that maybe Google generating a single WebAPK for all users isn't a thing anymore? If it did, wouldn't that be a limitation on Android where you can't have two unique PWA instances for a single site?
I believe older versions of Chrome used the start_url to uniquely identify a PWA, and newer versions use the id and fall back to the start_url. I still don't think you can have multiple instances with the same identifier, but I imagine you could work around this by varying the identifier if you really wanted to (probably a niche use case).

Another possible option would be to simply let Android generate a new WebAPK after the browser -> PWA onboarding... onboarding token included initially but then if the request for the manifest file is coming from something already in PWA mode, don't include the onboarding token... goes back to "normal" then at the expense of Android needing to rebuild the WebAPK once after the fact.
As far as I know Android doesn't have this problem to begin with because it shares cookies/caches between Chrome and the PWA, so you maintain the session when you install it already. So we'd only really need to vary the manifest for Safari, which I suppose is technically feasible if there's no solid alternative.

I believe older versions of Chrome used the start_url to uniquely identify a PWA, and newer versions use the id and fall back to the start_url. I still don't think you can have multiple instances with the same identifier, but I imagine you could work around this by varying the identifier if you really wanted to (probably a niche use case).
Ya, that was my understanding too.

As far as I know Android doesn't have this problem to begin with because it shares cookies/caches between Chrome and the PWA, so you maintain the session when you install it already. So we'd only really need to vary the manifest for Safari, which I suppose is technically feasible if there's no solid alternative.
Ya, although I'm not sure you'd want to to put an onboarding token all the time for Safari... Just initially when the user is logged in but not already in PWA mode. Seems like generating new/spewing out unnecessary tokens whenever the manifest is requested from the PWA (like to check for an update) could be a potential security risk/attack vector. At that point maybe it's better to just do the same handoff mechanism (if token exists, ignore cookies and use single-use token), and then the manifest falls back to not having a token when requested by an existing PWA instance. The bonus of that would be that it would still work on Android or other platforms if they ever take a more sandboxed approach to PWA (I could see that happening someday with all the privacy changes happening in the world).

Just initially when the user is logged in but not already in PWA mode. [..] At that point maybe it's better to just do the same handoff mechanism (if token exists, ignore cookies and use single-use token), and then the manifest falls back to not having a token when requested by an existing PWA instance
Hmm ... how would you distinguish a "PWA Manifest Request" from a "Non-PWA Manifest Request" (which should contain the token)?

Hmm ... how would you distinguish a "PWA Manifest Request" from a "Non-PWA Manifest Request" (which should contain the token)?
Not sure, I doubt it's as easy as a different user agent, but I haven't looked into it. I know you can detect standalone mode via JavaScript, so it could probably be done with some creativity within the service_worker.js where you intercept the request, check if it's PWA and add something to the request.

Top Bottom