1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. This forum has been archived. New threads and replies may not be made. All add-ons/resources that are active should be migrated to the Resource Manager. See this thread for more information.

Auto embed video and audio

Discussion in 'Add-on Requests [Archive]' started by Rho Delta, Aug 25, 2011.

1. Rho Delta

Rho Delta Well-Known Member

In SMF 2.0 they have a mod that embeds youtube and other media in a post just by posting the url in the main text... no bbcode, no popup boxes, nothing.

It would be AWESOME to have a feature that would do that for youtube, vimeo, soundcloud and grooveshark playlists!!!

Is there anything like this???

2. Jaxel

Jaxel Well-Known Member

You can do this very easily with UrlRewriter...
    http://xenforo.com/community/threads/urlrewriter-auto-media-embed-and-affiliate-schemes.8292/

Although... I personally think its a terrible idea. Its specifically why my XenMedio mod doesn't embed media directly into posts, but embeds an overlay trigger instead. When I was using a mod like this on my forums, we would end up with a single page with something like 30 youtube players embedded on the page... all these players, where you really only cared to watch 1 of them, or none of them still take up memory and resources on your computer.

It pretty much makes browsing on cell phones impossible.