August Update discussion thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
And I suppose people who were part of the alpha test would have had the opportunity to convert their live forums prior to the lawsuit announcement and the start of license sales.
I was part of the alpha test, we didn't get copies of XenForo (that could be used publically) until they went on sale so it would have been a bit difficult to convert prior to the lawsuit or start of licence sales :)

I do mind though seeing statements that claim that everyone ought to know about the XF lawsuit.

Oh that's the problem? There is no problem there. I said "most" people were aware of the lawsuit. I haven't taken a poll, but it seems like a safe assumption given the facts. I suppose we could argue that and say that most people didn't know. We could take a poll. Is there any purpose other than proving me right or wrong? It seems a pointless exercise to me, but I'm down.

The xf 1.2 updates are also not what I really want:

spam management I do not need as I have custom questions for registrations. What I do need is intelligent spam control like "this user messages hundreds of users within the last few months and each post containted a link".

another design I would have to change like a mobile style or like an additional app. That is far too complicated for me. Just make the current style look good on mobile devices with a mobile.css!

What I want from the devs (if I may speak in that way :D) is to encourage users to participate more.
↝ Making much easier surveys like on facebook.
↝ Post images from their mobile devices with HTML 5.
↝ suggest content to the users like forums they could check out, or threads. Currently you only get alerts for posts in subscribed threads.
↝ lots of my two years old suggestions are already implemented. However I still vote for the until now not-implemented ideas from this thread :)

Don't get me wrong, I am in a slightly more privileged situation than most due to having a little more interaction with KAM... but im still concerned... im still worried... my site provides part of my income and the majority income of several other people, I can't afford to have things go completely tits up.
Is funny, when I expressed the same feelings into my thread, you guys decided to close it. How come you have the "privilege" to say whatever it pleases you and I don't? Extremely egocentric.

Since this is a thread where hopefully personal opinions will not be muted like it is fashionable now at this site, I will ask again my main question I previously asked into thread:
Are the developers "still devoting the necessary time and effort to focus on their great product and wonderful community" as it was stipulated months ago? Can you give us a clear answer? Moderators are not developers, I'm interested to get an actual answer from Mike, Ashley or Kier. Whatever Ashley posted is purely politician content. After reading the post, I was not more advanced with XenForo related information than I was before the announcement. I don't even understand why people clicked on the Like button for that announcement, is illogical.

Most important: Ashley is a business guy, why would he bring up into post the personal issues some of the developers might have? That alone is a major "fail" in my books. XenForo is a business, not a dancing queen. Three years ago, I got divorced and also had to help my mom fighting cancer. Two stones hitting my head in the same time. Yet, I did not stopped going to my daily job and deal with my clients. Someone had to pay the bills and I needed to assume responsibility of my life, instead of running and hiding under a rock.

Ashley posted a great phrase into a previous announcement: "Clear and transparent, we are working towards developing and supporting XenForo." which Kier quickly emulated into a reply. Can Xenforo administration (not the moderators) keep the personal drama out of discussions, put in practice what Ashley said and provide us with honest and open answers to the actual situation? So far there is nothing clear and transparent about XenForo. No more politics please, I'm sure everyone is tired of evasive answers which help with absolutely nothing.

Thank you. All I'd personally like is some honest answers to the questions myself and others have posted please Jake or in the event they cannot be answered then someone to say just that together with the reason they cannot be answered (be that lawsuit / nobody knows / etc).

That was said in the first paragraph:

Ashley said:
Previously we posted about XenForo 1.2 being delayed without an estimated release date. Unfortunately, there is no update on this matter and we are unsure of when we will be able to provide more information on XenForo 1.2. The toll of the ongoing legal issue weighs very heavily and has far reaching effect.

In short, 1.2 is delayed, no ETA, it is unknown when more info will be available. All of this because of the lawsuit.

I think the problem isn't so much a lack of answers, it's a lack of certainty in those answers, certainty which no one can provide. I will quote a previous post of mine from a while ago:

Would you believe them if they told you everything is alright? This kind of concern doesn't go away with simple assurance. Right now people want to be concerned. You can't massage that away. People will only stop being concerned when the lawsuit is over.

The best way to show your concern is to contribute in some way. Help people on the forum. Buy extra licenses. But it does little good to ask XF for assurance that they cannot provide. XF cannot assure you of a verdict in the case, and anything short of that will fail to assuage the concern being demonstrated on this forum. Requests for lesser assurances (such as development) are really just avoiding the core issue. Lesser assurances have already been given by K&M, yet the concern persists and has even gotten worse because said assurances were necessarily vague with respect to the core issue of the lawsuit and its implications for XF.

That's cool if you want to be concerned. Post about it. Discuss it. Preferably act on it by supporting the cause. But don't ask for something XF can't provide, and don't pretend that you will settle for something less (e.g. "we just need a small update").

Basically I am saying that people's frustrations are understandable and incurable given the havoc and uncertainty surrounding the lawsuit. All we can do is stay the course. The trial date approaches.

Floren, your post points out what the real problem is. Couldn't agree more. I also find it frustrating that all we get is political answers which explain exactly nothing...

PS. In practise this all means I have to wait untill january before I know if we can migrate to XF or look elsewhere. And I don't really want to look elsewhere because XF is still the best software...by far.

Thanks IB for all this bs :(

Is funny, when I expressed the same feelings into my thread, you guys decided to close it. How come you have the "privilege" to say whatever it pleases you and I don't? Extremely egocentric.

Yeah normally I would be all over this. These discussions are never productive, and they require a lot of my time which is already in short supply. But this thread sort of makes official this topic of discussion so have at it.

Floren, your post points out what the real problem is. Couldn't agree more. I also find it frustrating that all we get is political answers which explain exactly nothing...

Yeah that's the personal / professional divide. Ashley's post had a personal touch to it. But Floren and many others are primarily concerned about the professional side of things, and on that side there is only uncertainty because of the lawsuit. See my previous post about uncertainty:

http://xenforo.com/community/threads/august-update-discussion-thread.35634/page-6#post-405261

I think the problem isn't so much a lack of answers, it's a lack of certainty in those answers, certainty which no one can provide.

Whilst I understand what you're saying, there are some very specific things they could comment on but have refused to so far. In these cases it's VERY MUCH the lack of answers which is worrying people. Ashley used a lot of words to say very little yesterday when he could easily have addressed the following:

Is XF still being actively developed?
Is Mike still involved in developing XF?
How much (if any) progress has been made since Ashley's last statement that XF was being actively developed.

These should be easy to answer questions which I thought was the point of this thread. For example, I hope they're not uncertain where Mike is still working for XF or not? :-p

Even if the answers are "bad" news, surely XF is at a stage where it needs to be honest with it's supporters if it expects their continued support.

Yeah normally I would be all over this. There discussions are never productive, and they require a lot of my time which is already in short supply. But this thread sort of makes official this topic of discussion so have at it.
Yet, you guys can talk about it... as and when it "pleases" you. Nice despotism techniques you have here, another major "fail" in my books. When are you going to understand that suppressing people opinions only aggravates the situation? Please, wakeup. All moderators agreed there will be no more closed threads on certain sensitive topics. That lasted like 5 minutes, now everything is also mixed with censorship. Why don't you leave the business questions and related concerns to be addressed by XenForo directors, as they should? What does it make you responsible to perform actions on their behalf? Your job is to moderate the forums and keep a civil order amongst users, not to censor content and suppress the freedom of expression for concerned clients who paid MONEY for a product.

Ohh ya, just to make things clear. I think you are very intelligent and you help alot. So why do you accept to wash someone else's dirty laundry?

Whilst I understand what you're saying, there are some very specific things they could comment on but have refused to so far. In these cases it's VERY MUCH the lack of answers which is worrying people. Ashley used a lot of words to say very little yesterday when he could easily have addressed the following:

Is XF still being actively developed?
Is Mike still involved in developing XF?
How much (if any) progress has been made since Ashley's last statement that XF was being actively developed.

These should be easy to answer questions which I thought was the point of this thread. For example, I hope they're not uncertain where Mike is still working for XF or not? :-p

Even if the answers are "bad" news, surely XF is at a stage where it needs to be honest with it's supporters if it expects their continued support.

For me... no ETA on 1.2, and no ETA on information about 1.2 means development is on hold. That's how I read it anyways. Seems clear enough to me. Though Slavik has confirmed that security updates and other urgent maintenance releases are still on tap.

Mike still holds his share of the company AFAIK. That should be public record somewhere. But if development is on hold then obviously he is not doing any work at the moment.

I am not in a position to answer your questions definitively, but the answers seem obvious to me.

In short, 1.2 is delayed, no ETA, it is unknown when more info will be available. All of this because of the lawsuit.
So if the answer was so simple, why nothing was posted for months? Hell, I don't even understand how XenForo got out of Beta with the IB dark spectrum planning over XenForo. How do you explain that the explosion of enthusiastic updates and software enhancements (which was ongoing during the lawsuit) disappeared like magic in the last 6-10 months? Call me crazy, but I don't believe a second what Ashley says.

If I would be a XenForo developer, I would use the lawsuit as engine to focus my energy on my product and channel away all the negative thoughts by producing great software. How else I would expect to keep my morale up? Plus, if the developers decided to stop development or quit because they want to pursue new ventures, is their decision and should not concern us... period. Who am I to ask those things anyways, is none of my business if Kier wants to walk barefoot in Antarctica or Mike move to Cuba. What should be addressed is the product development status as well its future, not how the employees feel.

Does lawsuits states anywhere that no new version of XF can be released? All i noticed from this forums is lawsuit drains out high amount of money but if money is required then why not release Resource Manger, Gallery, etc and other add-ons and make more out of it?

My only question is did the development stopped because of lawsuit or personal issues between Ashley, Kier and Mike?

For me... no ETA on 1.2, and no ETA on information about 1.2 means development is on hold. That's how I read it anyways. Seems clear enough to me.

That's your interpretation but it's certainly not definitive. It may be for example that 1.2 is ready but they've been forced to withold release until after the lawsuit? It might be that Mike is still developing but Kier's personal issues have slowed it down. There are a lot of other interpretations.

Mike still holds his share of the company AFAIK.

That doesn't mean he hasn't left. Again, a definitive answer would be so easy to provide.

But if development is on hold then obviously he is not doing any work at the moment.

Again, we don't know development is on hold.

The main rumour is that Mike and Kier had a falling out and Mike has left. Answering that (hopefully by stating it's ridiculous and wrong) would be a good start.

It's more the community's dirty laundry. As you say, my job is to keep order, and these discussions tend to get very disorderly. :eek:
You are going in circles, again. Why can't you use warnings instead and edit the posts on those "very few" threads? Are you telling us that you are overwhelmed with zillions of threads of the same nature? Then you should all merge them into one and appoint a company director to reply as is really their job on this matter.

Between me and you, do you really think people will start fighting with each others if the XenForo administration would post a "clear and transparent" answer into those threads? The arguments will stop instantly, with a professional reply coming straight from proper source.

Does lawsuits states anywhere that no new version of XF can be released?

Not to my knowledge.

All i noticed from this forums is lawsuit drains out high amount of money but if money is required then why not release Resource Manger, Gallery, etc and other add-ons and make more out of it?

Well, a software release isn't just about making a quick buck. And I'm not sure the revenue from a single addon would make much of a difference. On the other hand, if customers are demanding an addon then that is good reason to release. Certainly lots of people are wanting the RM to get released.

My only question is did the development stopped because of lawsuit or personal issues between Ashley, Kier and Mike?

Personal issues as a result of the lawsuit I think. Financial problems at very least is what I would speculate. But then we cross the line into personal stuff.

Floren I would suggest you edit your posts to take out the personal jibs, as per the first post in this thread.

Any attacks, no matter how small, will result in the entire post being deleted without warning. For the avoidance of doubt this will include ones made in jest, as in such topics these can often be misconstrued in the wrong way.

The main rumour is that Mike and Kier had a falling out and Mike has left. Answering that (hopefully by stating it's ridiculous and wrong) would be a good start.
Why do you want to know what is going on in their private life? Next thing, you probably want to know also what socks they wear Sunday. I thought you bought a product, not tickets to a soap opera.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom