August Update discussion thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well people forget:

1. Xenforo is being developed probably on the quiet.
2. Xenforo is a Company and company files and etc has to be done.
3. Mike's got married (probably on a honeymoon). That's 2 people left as Owners.
4. Ashley keeps a eye on the forum and keeping a eye on everything.
5. They have 3 / 4 moderators keeping us updated and keeping it a nice community.
6. Kier / Mike / Ashley have a court case coming in 2013. They have to think of what they will be saying as this is hopefully the last one, before VBulletin wont be able to open another one, they've also got it personal one opened as-well against them, one word said by mistake could cost them loads of money aka Money they can't afford to loose.
7. A community who was supporting them over 2 months ago are technically not supporting them anymore except slagging them off in this thread.

They can't do everything, things need priority and that's where the team pull together. We've got a stable software, with good addon developers who help keep it smooth. It's technically a life and death situation with Xenforo. VBulletin win the case = Xenforo pays court fees, probably told to remove some bits. VBulletin loose the case, that's the legal side gone, they can continue to improve Xenforo and put all blood and sweat into it. You can't expect them to do everything. Come on we're all human.

If this discussion rolls into September will it get a new thread ? or will this **** just keep dragging on and on in this lame thread.

/wondering

In my opinion these topics are bad for moral and do more harm than good. If you keep reading them you will inadvertently start to become discouraged, and justifiably so or not, start looking for an exit. I am willing to hang on until the case is settled, but I'm afraid I may not when I see these type of topics day in and day out until then. It needs to stop now.

Well people forget:

1. Xenforo is being developed probably on the quiet.
You have as much credibility saying that is is probably being developed as I have in saying that it is probably not being developed. In fact, actually I have more credibility because at least I have official statements which say that the 1.2 release is delayed which supports the notion that Xenforo is currently not being actively being developed.

2. Xenforo is a Company and company files and etc has to be done.
Confirming that when you run a company you do not have the 93 seconds it takes to make a post to address your customers. :rolleyes:

5. They have 3 / 4 moderators keeping us updated and keeping it a nice community.
The work of the mods is appreciated (even if I posted that one POI about closing critical threads), as forum owners we all know that mods often have a very thankless job. However, the mods do not speak for the company. You simply cannot address the complaint that there is essentially no useful information coming out of the company by saying that we have nice mods. Those two things have no relation to each other.

6. Kier / Mike / Ashley have a court case coming in 2013. They have to think of what they will be saying as this is hopefully the last one, before VBulletin wont be able to open another one, they've also got it personal one opened as-well against them, one word said by mistake could cost them loads of money aka Money they can't afford to loose.
That's so far the only really reasonable thing you have said. I can't speak for others but I would be perfectly happy with Kier making a post here saying that the current customers can should have confidence (or that the current customers should not have confidence) and that he can't say anything else on advice of legal counsel and that there will be no news till the end of January.

7. A community who was supporting them over 2 months ago are technically not supporting them anymore except slagging them off in this thread.
Because this isn't a lemonade stand. It's a real business and people who purchase the product also have real business decisions to make. Any forum admin who has switched forum software once the forum has been running knows that any switch, for any reason, will result in a loss of search engine rankings, it will result in loss of users, in drama on the forums, and so on. Please, don't post your "OMG I gained a million users once I switched to XF", good for you if true, but that's not the norm.

The ethical thing to do would be to come out and say that they cannot in earnest recommend people purchasing XF at this time if there is any hint of a reason to make such a recommendation. Alternatively they can come out and say that despite the issues XF will prevail.

Instead they chose to essentially say nothing of substance, which is telling in itself.

I reread the announcement.
I don't understand what there is to discuss?
Ashley wrote what most of us pretty much thought.

He summed up pretty much what people been saying from few months already ! I guess just trying to move attention towards another direction for a while atleast lol !

You have as much credibility saying that is is probably being developed as I have in saying that it is probably not being developed. In fact, actually I have more credibility because at least I have official statements which say that the 1.2 release is delayed which supports the notion that Xenforo is currently not being actively being developed.

Delayed:
de·lay
(d
ibreve.gif
-l
amacr.gif
prime.gif
)
v. de·layed, de·lay·ing, de·lays
v.tr.
1. To postpone until a later time; defer.
2. To cause to be later or slower than expected or desired: Heavy traffic delayed us.
v.intr.
To act or move slowly; put off an action or a decision.
n.
1. The act of delaying; postponement: responded without delay.
2. The condition of being delayed; detainment.
3. The period of time during which one is delayed.
4. The interval of time between two events.

From http://www.thefreedictionary.com/delayed

Your point saying "1.2 release is delayed which supports the notion that Xenforo is currently not being actively being developed."

That's technically wrong, Delayed doesn't mean that it's not being developed however means it's either postponed to a future date or work has slowed down.

Also YOU made the choice to switch to Xenforo, they didn't make you and you also KNEW what was happening between VBulletin and Xenforo.

There are outstanding legal and personal issues. Unfortunately, both are sensitive issues and no additional information will be made available. It would be inappropriate to comment on the issues in its present state.

All I did was post my valid thoughts on the matter and instead of skipping over them you are saying that my questions are inappropriate and that both are sensitive issues, Maybe you know what is going on around here? and are correct, but until I know what is going on I fail to see how it is inappropriate or so sensitive it should be kept secret.

So instead of a new XF purchase, I shall wait and decide when this information is made public.

All I did was post my valid thoughts on the matter and instead of skipping over them you are saying that my questions are inappropriate and that both are sensitive issues, Maybe you know what is going on around here? and are correct, but until I know what is going on I fail to see how it is inappropriate or so sensitive it should be kept secret.

So instead of a new XF purchase, I shall wait and decide when this information is made public.

I never said your thoughts are invalid or inappropriate; they are valid questions and hopefully in due time they can be answered.

However the issues are sensitive ones and deserved to be discussed properly instead of a hodge podge manner. To discuss the issues at hand in its present state would be highly inappropriate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom