Add-on Audentio Design Installer Add-on

How would you prefer to have the installer work?

• Enter FTP info

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Make js/styles folders writeable

Votes: 11 78.6%

• Total voters

Dad.

Hi all,

We are building a way to install/update themes a bit easier and done entirely from the ACP. When upgrading and installing, we were wondering what you would prefer: enter FTP info to download or make your js/styles folders writable.

If you make your JS/Styles folder writable you don't have to do anything ever again. But if you are going to enter FTP info, we wouldn't store that info so you'd have to enter it every time.

Let us know!

Thanks,
Mike

With proper server configuration won't 755 the default work anyways? Should only have to make users make any change if their php user isn't the same as the directory owner or group.

Writable styles...

Mainly because most hosts use SuPHP or Ruid now, so the permissions won't need to be 777.

Liam

Really? So PHP has permissions to overwrite without explicitly being given permission?

Yeah, PHP runs as the user the file is owned by, and as files can be written by the owner by default, so can PHP.

It is a bit more complex than that, but it's the easiest way to explain.

Liam

Is this compliant to XenForo resources guidelines?

I know Snog had to change his very similar approach in delivering updates.

Is this compliant to XenForo resources guidelines?

I know Snog had to change his very similar approach in delivering updates.
I read through them and didn't see anything wrong. I asked to be sure as well.

Really? So PHP has permissions to overwrite without explicitly being given permission?

Only time the folder needs to be 777 is if the file owners don't match the user php is run as. Such as if it is run as nobody. Its common with out of the box apache setups. Without a php handler it runs as apache and if apache doesn't own the folder it can't write to it without world writable.

Most shared hosts, any nginx setup should be setup right. With phpfpm you just make a pool for each user. The file owners will usually be the user/ftp login and the pool for phpfpm or the suphp user will be set the same.

There is a work around that is almost as dirty as 777. Adding the user and apache or the php handler to the same group and then give the group ownership and permissions.

Top Bottom