XF 2.0 attempting new install, error 503 service unavailable

Joe Kuhn

I'm pointing my browser to the install directory as shown here in WinSCP:

1519360242059.webp

And Chrome gives me this:

1519360375776.webp

I see the 2.0 manual says, "If you receive any other error messages, your server does not meet XenForo's requirements and your host will need to make changes to their PHP configuration." So I checked the requirements and they are good:

1519360918405.webp

Note I placed the requirements php file in the feedkindness.com directory. Hm.

Advice?

Thanks,
Joe

I tried moving the requirements checker to my forum directory and it works there too.

It seems I need to point my browser to something inside the install directory that will run.

Thinking as I go here. Sorry.

I tried both of these:

1519361512626.webp

The first give me a bunch of code (the install code!). Ahah. But what do I do to run it?

The second gives me the same 503 error.

A 503 error is not something that XF would return itself. Specifically, that error seems to be coming from "Varnish". It's possible that it's actually that which is "unavailable" so in the first instance I'd look to disable that or contact your host for further support.

Based on what Andy suggested I copied xenforo_requirements.php to the install directory and tried to run it there with my browser and that worked.

So I again tried running install.css and some type of a viewer opened up as shown below. What am I missing?

1519381852609.webp

Here's what I'm seeing in WinSCP. Rights look consistent between xenfor_requirements.php and the other two files. It looks like I'm missing install.php or something to run/use install.css. What is index.php for? It's not mentioned in the manual.

1519382221157.webp

Last edited:
install.css is the installer's cascading style sheet. So where is the installer itself? index.php? The 2.0 manual doesn't say what I should be running by a specific file name. Shouldn't there be an install.php file?

Last edited:
I checked the left side of WinSCP used as a source for uploading from my desktop to the web and the install directory there has the same two files. So it doesn't look like I'm missing anything, unless they didn't all unzip. But there were no errors when unzipping.

1519384805596.webp

As Chris said, this appears to be a server issue.

Just navigating to http://www.feedkindness.com/forum/install/index.php should trigger the install routine but the server is returing a 503 error.

You will have to contact your host and get them to investigate and resolve it.
Simple solution is to use https. I didn't type that in so something internal must have happened with host people after opening a ticket.

Now the install is asking for sql server login, password and db name. Wish I had known all this as I have to collect this from the owner & staff. Perhaps an installation manual revision is in order. Don't get me wrong. I do appreciate the help. But now the site itself shows a ton of code. Somebody broke something.

Last edited:
Now the install is asking for sql server login, password and db name. Wish I had known all this as I have to collect this from the owner & staff. Perhaps an installation manual revision is in order. Don't get me wrong. I do appreciate the help. But now the site itself shows a ton of code. Somebody broke something.
Every forum needs a database :X3: That's where all of the data is stored.

But it was mentioned in the installation instructions - https://xenforo.com/help/installation/

"In the early steps, you will be asked to provide details about your database server."

What I didn't know was the specific questions I would need to answer: mysql login, password, db nm. BTW, I went ahead and hit "save config" without filling in the fields and I see that the host should have the db location, so I've opened another ticket for the three items, and have asked the owner/support staff as well. We'll see who comes back with what.

Is there anything else coming my way in terms of specifics fields I'll need to answer?

What I didn't know was the specific questions I would need to answer: mysql login, password, db nm. BTW, I went ahead and hit "save config" without filling in the fields and I see that the hosting site should have the db location, so I've opened another ticket for the three items, and have asked the owner/support staff as well. We'll see who comes back with what.

Is there anything else coming my way in terms of specifics fields I'll need to answer?
You can create a database right away - https://help.dreamhost.com/hc/en-us/articles/221691727-Creating-a-MySQL-database

Enter the details on the install page and you should be good to go from there.

I see there already is a db for the website itself. It's described as a "WordPress database for feedkindness.com". I'm guessing I should not use the same, but am not sure. Then at the bottom it says:

"Your account currently has no active hosting plans to which MySQL databases can be added."

This forces the issue: can I use the same database set up for the website? We do that where I work, but not sure it's appropriate here.

Top Bottom