Attachment Management - all attachments available to everyone to reuse

QenTox

After checking out these 2 add-ons:

Attachment Manager
Attachment Viewer

I think the Attachments Management is not done very well in XenForo. Wait... it seems, there is no Attachment Managemet at all in XenForo right now! I like the way you can use them as full images, thumbnails and view them in popup window, but what a waste of resources it is not to be able to use them again?

Let's make a real example: I am creating news threads, where I use a lot of images. Let's say I already made 4 news threads about the game GTA 5 with image attachments.

The easiest way to find attachments from those 4 news threads would be if I could search (browse) in attachments and
  • filter attachments by forum (will display attachments from only a specified forum)
  • filter attachments by thread title (entering gta 5 would find only attachments from threads with GTA 5 in title)
  • filter attachments by tags (will only find attachments from threads tagged by word GTA 5)
  • filter attachments by filename (should have mentioned this in 1st place)
What I am looking for and what I am suggesting?
  • to reuse not only your attachments, but any attachment uploaded to your site
  • to display all of them in front-end and to be able to search between them and to filter them by various criterias
  • to be able to use them again as full images and thumbnails too (viewable for guests too!)
  • to be able to search only for images (you can attach packaged files and other things too afaik)
Again I really like the way how easy it is to upload files (images) to threads and how well they can be used in thread. But there really should be a way to re-use those attachments again for everyone and not to upload dupes again and again...

If you like this idea and if you also want to see this feature be implemented to XenForo, please don't forget to like this post. Why you should do that? It is explained >>> here <<<.

Upvote 20
Let's make a real example: I am creating news threads, where I use a lot of images. Let's say I already made 4 news threads about the game GTA 5 with image attachments.
Does this help ?
https://xenforo.com/community/resources/xenmods-attachments.2895/

create-thread-png.67813

My site has many users who were used to the unwieldy attachment manager in vBulletin. I modified the Scandal Gallery to make the attachments into a gallery.

We will be condensing all attachments on our site to single instances, so I am not worried about multiple uploads of the same image.

What I would like to see is for a user to be able to move an attachment they have just embedded in a post to the Media Gallery into an album of their choosing, which could be open to the public or just for their own use. Is there something obvious I am missing. or is that a needed feature?

I may be able to train them to upload to the Media Gallery first and then embed in a post, but they may have a hard time adapting to that difference in process. Especially since the upload and drag & drop / cut & paste are so easy to use.

Top Bottom