AT&T Buys T-Moblie

Nope not kidding. Sad ain't it? I was hoping if they got bought out by anyone it would be Sprint.

In all honesty, T-Mobile customers would have been hurt more in the long run if T-Mobile USA got acquired by Sprint. There is a clash in technologies. T-Mobile: - Uses GSM, deploying LTE Sprint: - Uses CDMA/iDEN, deploying WiMax. Those two are simple complete opposites where as AT&T literally uses the same technology at T-Mobile. If anything, I rather would have had Verizon acquire T-Mobile since they are also moving to LTE.

In all honesty, T-Mobile customers would have been hurt more in the long run if T-Mobile USA got acquired by Sprint. There is a clash in technologies. T-Mobile: - Uses GSM, deploying LTE Sprint: - Uses CDMA/iDEN, deploying WiMax. Those two are simple complete opposites where as AT&T literally uses the same technology at T-Mobile. If anything, I rather would have had Verizon acquire T-Mobile since they are also moving to LTE.
Doesn't Verizon use CDMA still? It may be going to GSM but that hasn't rolled out yet from what I am reading?

At&t very expansive with 4GB using internet+ unlimited Talk + Text = 115$ / Per Month

T-Mobile unlimited using internet + Talk + Text = 100$ / Per Month

So i like T-Mobile

At&t very expansive with 4GB using internet+ unlimited Talk + Text = 115$ / Per Month

T-Mobile unlimited using internet + Talk + Text = 100$ / Per Month

So i like T-Mobile
T-Mobile prices are lower for sure, but they don't have half the coverage that AT&T and Verizon do. Since I talk to people in just about every part of the US, I need that coverage, so... I pay the price.

We don't have 4G in our area yet, at least not with AT&T. Sprint will have it here within the next 2 months. AT&T, I was told, will be another year with 4G in my area. I really don't understand why, but that's what they said. I would think that with them being much larger than Sprint, they would have the resources to beat 'em to the punch for 4G technology.

I've always found the T-Mobile ad interesting about how fast their service are since they don't have many of their own towers, they piggyback off others...mostly AT&T towers. If you read the very fine print in their coverage map, they admit they use other's towers.

That's untrue ... t-mobil (voicestream when they started) Always was/is GSM back when AT&T (Cingular and the collection of Bells) still used radio frequencies for their mobile service :D

AT&T 3G service runs on 1700-1900 MHz (contrary to the World :D and the 3G specifications .. even worse 850 in some markets o_O) T-Mobile is a true 3G on 2100 MHz ... that's why t-mobile 3G service isn't available everywhere in the US ... they do not peggyback, their coverage is not as wide as AT&T

I think Verizon is my next pick now

That's untrue ... t-mobil (voicestream when they started) Always was/is GSM back when AT&T (Cingular and the collection of Bells) still used radio frequencies for their mobile service :D

AT&T 3G service runs on 1700-1900 MHz (contrary to the World :D and the 3G specifications .. even worse 850 in some markets o_O) T-Mobile is a true 3G on 2100 MHz ... that's why t-mobile 3G service isn't available everywhere in the US ... they do not peggyback, their coverage is not as wide as AT&T

I think Verizon is my next pick now
MAP INFORMATION: Maps approximate anticipated coverage outdoors, which varies by location, may include limited or no coverage areas, and do not guarantee service availability. Within coverage areas, network changes, traffic volume, outages, technical limitations, signal strength, your equipment, obstructions, weather and other conditions may interfere with service quality and availability. Portions of the maps include networks operated by our roaming partners; we are not responsible for their performance. 3G Coverage requires a 3G device. Devices not purchased from T-Mobile or an authorized dealer may not work on our network. T-Mobile to T-Mobile calls are directly dialed between T-Mobile devices while on the T-Mobile USA network (and not roaming in the US or internationally); voicemail and other T-Mobile service numbers not included. Roaming: Nationwide roaming refers to usage while on a roaming partner's network within coverage area; currently not available for webConnect™ data plans. International roaming incurs additional charges and refers to usage outside of the US. 850 Roaming Coverage requires a multi-band device. Certain devices and features will not work when roaming. Ask a sales representative or visit www.t-mobile.com/morecoverage for more information. If you travel outside of coverage areas, your device will not work.
Bolding is mine, that means they piggyback off someone else's equipment.

T-mobile has been a 'customer' of AT&T for quite some time. You can't "use" another's tower without paying for the fees of use. This purchase would benefit T-Mobile more for more coverage, if anything. And if I was AT&T I would keep the T-Mobile name in some shape or form. To me, T-Mobile sounds like a mobile technology, rather than a phone carrier.

Remove competition so you can change the internet price model.

The war on Unlimited usage is coming.

It has started in canada.
I'm not so sure about that. AT&T used to have unlimited usage and they did away with it - at least for the iPhone packages.
I doubt they'd bring it back.

And if I was AT&T I would keep the T-Mobile name in some shape or form.

You mean like

ATT-logo-tmobilepicon.jpg

The data plans are ridiculous. It's actually holding me back from getting a smart phone. Oh boy, would I love having a GPS on my phone, the ability to check up on my website on the go over a 4G network. All these things that smart phone holders can do, I can't because of the ridiculous pricing. I'd get out of my room more often if all these carriers had more reasonable prices.

And if I was AT&T I would keep the T-Mobile name in some shape or form. To me, T-Mobile sounds like a mobile technology, rather than a phone carrier.

AT&T is only buying T-Mobile USA. T-Mobile also operated in Europe where they will retain the brand. Besides, AT&T killed the Cingular logo guy and they spent billions on that.

The data plans are ridiculous. It's actually holding me back from getting a smart phone. Oh boy, would I love having a GPS on my phone, the ability to check up on my website on the go over a 4G network. All these things that smart phone holders can do, I can't because of the ridiculous pricing. I'd get out of my room more often if all these carriers had more reasonable prices.
Sprint still has great data plans (I'm probably moving to Sprint, even if they have less Android phones), and T-Mobile had 'unlimited' (You get throttled after 5gb).

The thing is though, unless you're streaming movies or something, or doing bandwidth intensive activities while away from home or a WiFi, you don't actually need to use your bandwidth.

I used to work for most of these companies in one form or another.

I was with Orange when they were Rabbit, T-Mobile when they were D1, and lots of other companies who have come and gone over the years.

I still remember trying to explain to people what text messages were and why GSM was superior to analogue :LOL:

Sprint still has great data plans (I'm probably moving to Sprint, even if they have less Android phones), and T-Mobile had 'unlimited' (You get throttled after 5gb).

The thing is though, unless you're streaming movies or something, or doing bandwidth intensive activities while away from home or a WiFi, you don't actually need to use your bandwidth.
I do massive browsing. I'm usually loading a new web page every few seconds on multiple tabs. There would be the occasional youtube streaming but besides that, not much else. However, it wouldn't surprise me if I exceeded the data limit one way or another and then I'd get smacked with heavy fees. I am in favor of an unlimited plan even if it is a tad pricey but plans with ceilings make me very uncomfortable.

Top Bottom