AT&T Buys T-Moblie

I do massive browsing. I'm usually loading a new web page every few seconds on multiple tabs. There would be the occasional youtube streaming but besides that, not much else. However, it wouldn't surprise me if I exceeded the data limit one way or another and then I'd get smacked with heavy fees. I am in favor of an unlimited plan even if it is a tad pricey but plans with ceilings make me very uncomfortable.
You'd be better off with Sprint; Just get a lower talk everything data package (Unless you need a family plan), as you get free calls to any mobile, and minutes are only used when talking to someone with a landline.

I'm not so sure about that. AT&T used to have unlimited usage and they did away with it - at least for the iPhone packages.
I doubt they'd bring it back.

No I mean they're buying them out to eliminate some more 'unlimited' competition.

Unlimited is going to be a thing of the past real soon. One way to do it is to buy out your competitors that do it, while you dont.

wow what company are you with?
I am with ATT. Originally I had service with a company bought by Cellular ONE.. which was eventually purchased by... ATT. 4 or 5 company buyouts?

Though I am contemplating Virgin media, I believe they use Sprint towers?

ah so they grandfathered your plan in? Nice.
If you mean subjecting my account to every little fee possible and allowing me to keep the same number, then yes. :D

I mean, really really think about it. I am paying $85 / month for 2 phones that are used at the most 850 minutes a month total, most months are more like 200 minutes. No texting or internet connection at all, just voice.

Wow that's a ripoff. I pay that for 1 phone but i have a data plan, texting, etc.
You could do better than that with a new plan, couldn't you?

I currently maintain the base stations for MBNL (T Mobile and H3G) in the UK. I hope the T Mobile US network is a lot better than it is here in the UK. T Mobile UK's network is in a shocking state. Although this is set to change now that T Mobile and Orange (Everything Everywhere) are now network sharing. 14000 base stations in the UK being ripped out and replaced by new equipment. That'll hopefully make my job easier.

It would also give them a iron grip on GSM in the United States.
This. Is our government just totally asleep at the wheel to allow one company to own all the 3G (GSM) mobile networks in the US? In Denmark, there are at least 4 GSM/3G networks and competition is fantastic. I get 6Mbps/1Mbps on my iPhone and iPad. You're lucky to get 1Mbps/128kbps on AT&T.

This. Is our government just totally asleep at the wheel to allow one company to own all the 3G (GSM) mobile networks in the US? In Denmark, there are at least 4 GSM/3G networks and competition is fantastic. I get 6Mbps/1Mbps on my iPhone and iPad. You're lucky to get 1Mbps/128kbps on AT&T.
Most people do not even get 3G, and get stuck with the backup Edge network.

It would save money for me. I have been with AT&T since 85 with cell phones and prior to that with land lines. I have two family members that use T-Mobile. Unless I only talk with them on the weekend, it uses my "anytime"minutes. If AT&T inhales T-Mobile, that will no longer be an issue. :)

Good for me...

It would save money for me. I have been with AT&T since 85 with cell phones and prior to that with land lines. I have two family members that use T-Mobile. Unless I only talk with them on the weekend, it uses my "anytime"minutes. If AT&T inhales T-Mobile, that will no longer be an issue. :)

Good for me...
AT&T is launching any mobile, any where (In the United States) just like Sprint; you wouldn't be using minutes for mobile calls ;).

You mean like

ATT-logo-tmobilepicon.jpg
Um, no. The T-Mobile brand itself. The parent company will still operate under the Deutsche Telekom AG banner. T-Mobile International AG is the international subsidary of Deutsche Telekom AG, and they still own the various trademarks for the various modems, and cable technologies.

But.... I don't see anything for the 'T-Mobile' name. This means that AT&T can actually use the trademark in the united states. On top of that, the founder of Deutsche Telekom AG is going to take seat on AT&T's board of directors. Furthermore, Deutsche Telekom AG owns the majority controlling stake in AT&T. Go figure.
AT&T is only buying T-Mobile USA. T-Mobile also operated in Europe where they will retain the brand. Besides, AT&T killed the Cingular logo guy and they spent billions on that.
Maybe so. I guess.

Top Bottom