1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Ask a question" w/ redirect to login

Discussion in 'XenForo Suggestions' started by cmeinck, Jan 23, 2013.

1. cmeinck

cmeinck Well-Known Member

If you look at Apple's forums, they have a box that welcomes visitors to ask a question. If they are not logged in, they get directed to a login/register box. Anyone who takes the time to type a question is probably more likely to take the time to register. It also makes the process of that first post incredibly easy. Once asked, perhaps forum admins can push a list of forum categories, so that a next step for the user would be to select the appropriate forum category. That or perhaps it goes into moderation.

Screen Shot 2013-01-23 at 11.16.24 AM.png

2. alfan

alfan Active Member

I like that idea a lot! Would probably increase registrations and overall site activity.

3. nrep

nrep Well-Known Member

Good idea - would like to see this :).

4. Vicki

Vicki Active Member

I'd like to see this, too.

5. alfan

alfan Active Member

It could also be used as a quick post for registered members. If placed on the startpage, a user can enter the question and next select category, if the question was entered by a registered user then a new thread is posted, if the user is not registered he will be taken to a registration page before thread is posted.

erich37 likes this.
  6. erich37

erich37 Well-Known Member

+1
    as an option in XF 1.2

7. Dynamic

Dynamic Well-Known Member

This is a great idea. Why not see if an addon dev will create it?

8. Digital Doctor

Digital Doctor Well-Known Member

I think this is a good idea on many forums.

9. TheBigK

TheBigK Well-Known Member

@Chris - We discussed this idea - time to get the php code together and make it work as XF addon :)

nrep and Andrej like this.
  10. Dynamic

Dynamic Well-Known Member

Sorry to go off topic, but I have to say it. Duuuuuuuuuuude!!!! Your CrazyEngineers site is AWESOME! Great content man :D

TheBigK likes this.
  11. TheBigK

TheBigK Well-Known Member

:D

12. cmeinck

Circling back to this thread as it appears one of my competitors have implemented this feature. They basically set it up so asking a question creates a new thread under a single username that is moderated.

Would that be possible in XF? So a link on the homepage that would automatically generate the start of a new thread from a designated user. This post would get sent into moderation, where admins could either delete (if not relevant), move to appropriate category and ultimately approve.

Thoughts?

13. Jeremy

Jeremy XenForo Moderator Staff Member

That sounds like a standard unregistered post that requires moderation. All done via permissions

14. cmeinck

Would it be tied to a guest account or what would be the link so that the user clicks and is greeted by the posting WYSWYG interface? Possibly a forum category that is not visible? Link would create a new post in that forum (which would be moderated)?

Can you attribute guest posts to a specific user post topic creation?

Sorry, just trying to wrap my head around the logistics of creating this.

15. Jeremy

No, XenForo doesn't allow you to attribute posts to users after being made by a guest.

16. cmeinck

Is it possible to create a direct link to a guest posting? So visitor clicks on link, editor opens and allows message to be posted (which would go into moderation).

17. Jeremy

Yes, just link directly to the new thread form.

18. jdeg

jdeg Active Member

19. Dan Hawkins

Dan Hawkins Active Member

Awesome idea, I really hope this gets Developed - I will contribute to the developer if so.

20. Sami Jalal

Sami Jalal Well-Known Member

Great idea! I like it..