"Ask a question" w/ redirect to login

cmeinck

If you look at Apple's forums, they have a box that welcomes visitors to ask a question. If they are not logged in, they get directed to a login/register box. Anyone who takes the time to type a question is probably more likely to take the time to register. It also makes the process of that first post incredibly easy. Once asked, perhaps forum admins can push a list of forum categories, so that a next step for the user would be to select the appropriate forum category. That or perhaps it goes into moderation.

Screen Shot 2013-01-23 at 11.16.24 AM.png

alfan

I like that idea a lot! Would probably increase registrations and overall site activity.

alfan

It could also be used as a quick post for registered members. If placed on the startpage, a user can enter the question and next select category, if the question was entered by a registered user then a new thread is posted, if the user is not registered he will be taken to a registration page before thread is posted.

cmeinck

Circling back to this thread as it appears one of my competitors have implemented this feature. They basically set it up so asking a question creates a new thread under a single username that is moderated.

Would that be possible in XF? So a link on the homepage that would automatically generate the start of a new thread from a designated user. This post would get sent into moderation, where admins could either delete (if not relevant), move to appropriate category and ultimately approve.

Thoughts?

Jeremy

That sounds like a standard unregistered post that requires moderation. All done via permissions

cmeinck

That sounds like a standard unregistered post that requires moderation. All done via permissions
Would it be tied to a guest account or what would be the link so that the user clicks and is greeted by the posting WYSWYG interface? Possibly a forum category that is not visible? Link would create a new post in that forum (which would be moderated)?

Can you attribute guest posts to a specific user post topic creation?

Sorry, just trying to wrap my head around the logistics of creating this.

cmeinck

Is it possible to create a direct link to a guest posting? So visitor clicks on link, editor opens and allows message to be posted (which would go into moderation).

Dan Hawkins

If you look at Apple's forums, they have a box that welcomes visitors to ask a question. If they are not logged in, they get directed to a login/register box. Anyone who takes the time to type a question is probably more likely to take the time to register. It also makes the process of that first post incredibly easy. Once asked, perhaps forum admins can push a list of forum categories, so that a next step for the user would be to select the appropriate forum category. That or perhaps it goes into moderation.

View attachment 39563
Awesome idea, I really hope this gets Developed - I will contribute to the developer if so.