Not planned Article Preview - Embeded video

BassMan

In article preview type of node there will show no embeded video in the forum view:

Screenshot 2020-08-19 at 22.37.11.webp

When you click on the article it's actually this:
Screenshot 2020-08-19 at 22.37.22.webp

Is there any way to show something that indicates there's an embeded video inside? I have a forum where we embed YT videos via RSS so this is kind of an issue for us.

It's even more strange on forum view if there is a text below the video (in RSS feed could be some predefined text below embeded video for every feed).

Upvote 5
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
I think the vieo should show whether or not there is any text article

This is odd behaviour IMO so I have upvoted this suggestion.

However there is inc onsistency between the type article preview

In expanded view the actual video does show (which is nice),

Screenshot 2020-08-30 at 14.55.56.png

but in Preview type of preview I see this: (Which is different to bassman's screenshot because instead of showing nothing it shows the video URL)

Screenshot 2020-08-30 at 14.53.33.png

Last edited:
(Which is different to bassman's screenshot because instead of showing nothing it shows the video URL)
Ah, this is because I ticked: Auto-embed media, and add a link to the content within this BB code

But this is also a problem because people see an unclickable link.

Write some introductory text or an actual article about the video?

Something that is basically just a video hardly qualifies as an article.
Yes, understandable, but these are RSS feeds with Youtube videos only. That means I need to enter a text for RSS feed that will always be the same, no matter the video content.

Unless I manually edit every RSS feed that comes to forum, ofc.

But the preview should show something, not just a blank space instead of embedded video, imo.

Something that is basically just a video hardly qualifies as an article
There are tons of tutorials that are video only, and admins may allow this in an article node. In fact I have that type of user that likes to drop a tutorial without any text. Product reviews, etc.

True! Why does that one work?
scratch-head.gif

It has to be done manually.

The image is hidden using 0px width.

Code:
[ATTACH width="0px" alt="Screenshot 2020-08-02 at 09.33.37.jpg"]231818[/ATTACH]

To be honest, I don't think we're likely to change this here for a couple reasons.

Technically speaking, the suggestion is basically to render BB code in article previews. Ironically we actually did this and it immediately created some formatting difficulties, particularly with narrower previews (the ones further down the page). If you want to change this for your particular scenario, it can be done with a template edit. Relatedly, even where some formatting elements fit without issue, they may also grab attention more than they should (bold, font size, color, etc).

The intention and expected use case of the preview format is that the "preview" part of it is used as a tag line to draw a user into an article, essentially like what you'd see on various news-style sites. There is generally more expectation of specific formatting/approach requirements than that of an arbitrary thread that any user might post. (The image "requirement" of approach is really an example of this.)

In terms of comparing to the expanded type, expanded articles fit more of a blog-style format. The snippets are generally assumed to be significantly longer, potentially including the whole thing. So full formatting is reasonable to include.

Top Bottom