Article/CMS system round up.

I don't understand...Jaxel admin that it's mod it's not a CMS but a portal, but argue to every user that need *a cms* that "Xenporta would suffit".
I assume you are saying "Jaxel admits that his mod is not a CMS, but a portal, but argues to every user that "needs a cms" that "XenPorta would suffice". Yes, this is true; I am doing just that. Why? Because most people who claim to "need a cms", don't actually need a cms at all, they need a portal.

The prime example of this would be Shoryuken.Com; I've been working with MrWizard on getting things running since the switch from VB4, but they insisted on using Wordpress for their portal. And I can't help but wonder "why?". They aren't using Wordpress as a CMS; they are using it as a portal. In which case, Wordpress is not only overkill and bloated; but it also fragments the experience of their forums and makes it a lot harder to manage.

I assume you are saying "Jaxel admits that his mod is not a CMS, but a portal, but argues to every user that "needs a cms" that "XenPorta would suffice". Yes, this is true; I am doing just that. Why? Because most people who claim to "need a cms", don't actually need a cms at all, they need a portal.

The prime example of this would be Shoryuken.Com; I've been working with MrWizard on getting things running since the switch from VB4, but they insisted on using Wordpress for their portal. And I can't help but wonder "why?". They aren't using Wordpress as a CMS; they are using it as a portal. In which case, Wordpress is not only overkill and bloated; but it also fragments the experience of their forums and makes it a lot harder to manage.
I would have to agree and I think the best way to tell the difference is this way...

Do you have a staff of writers who are experts on your forum topic? Are they going to focus on writing articles, which you would like to appear as new threads, at which point the users will discuss, but the writers will rarely engage those users? If so, that's the CMS model. You're generating unique content, which will draw in your visitors and then you want to give them a place to discuss among themselves.

The other option is most of your unique content is generated by your user community within the forums themselves. You want aggregate the content either into a single page or multiple content pages to present this user generated content in such a way that SEO engines will pickup these pages as more key-word dense than the forums, increase your page ranks for those pages over individual thread pages and attract more visitors.

This visitors hit the aggregation pages and see the depth on content within the forums rather than having to search the forums. This is the portal or multipage portal model.

Like Jaxel, I think the majority of sites fall into the second category. Interestingly enough, I also believe most products calling themselves a CMS are really portals.

BTW, the point of convergence of the two is when you have a site of expert bloggers. Then you can go either way.

An article system is needed if you want to have a website separated to your forum. On a portal/website you are less limited than using a topic (major control on content/images, less limitation on ads use, use of widgets like "articles correlated etc.).

I expect that many people want a portal or cms to do different things.

Maybe a thread that shows what different people want the portal or cms to do is in order. There might not be something for everyone but there might be something for some of you.

Here's the thing, Jaxel.

Having a wordpress as a CMS or portal can mean the difference between a website that's hosted on vb4's CMS, and a website hosted on wordpress. Let me tell you an example. I write. Okay? I'm a writer. And I wrote an article on my own forum... I tried to get traffic through a site called n4g. I get negative backlash for having my article on a forum, and not a CMS, or something like Wordpress. In fact, most of my forum-posted submissions get rejected and the response to each one is a resounding "Get a CMS, you stupid piece of crap!" People can't take you seriously if you can't provide a platform that represents a magazine of sorts.

My guess is that Shoryuken wants to target a much larger gaming market. Not just limited to the niche fighting game scene - such as tournaments, fighting game tips, and whatnot. My guess is that Shoryuken wants to expand the market to fighting game news, previews, events, and what have you.

You do a great job of modding your site(s), but I feel that they're limited because for example, the CMS that you code, points directly to a forum post, and not a CMS article like vb4. That's why I stayed the hell away from vbAdvanced all this time.

Totally agree with Carlos. A forum is very different to a cms/portal. You can't use it for articles. When i have a gaming website i've got the error to use a splash page istead of a cms. When i do this my staff members uses the forums to annouce the gaming news. With this every day there are 20/30 new topics about news (because there are not original...eheh) for the majority not commented. With this in 1 year my forum seems like a gaming news archive that a forum.

Forum is for debates, is a different istance...

Totally agree with Carlos. A forum is very different to a cms/portal. You can't use it for articles. When i have a gaming website i've got the error to use a splash page istead of a cms. When i do this my staff members uses the forums to annouce the gaming news. With this every day there are 20/30 new topics about news (because there are not original...eheh) for the majority not commented. With this in 1 year my forum seems like a gaming news archive that a forum.

Forum is for debates, is a different istance...
Its a complicated situation, though.

I see sites with vb4 suites on n4g, and yet, I am baffled as to why members approve those.

Alas, I'm going to touch base on "what is acceptable for a gaming site?" Here it is:

If it is a general gaming website, like across Xbox 360, PS3, Wii, and PC. If you think you're going to stay with that site for 5, 10 years, you need to code the site to act like a real CMS. But if the domain in question leaves you uncertain, you wine-taste the market by putting it on a blog platform.

Now if you want a combo of CMS and forum, you're going to need a really good integrated platform between the two, otherwise forget it. I see a lot of sites with this combo and don't have it connected, this kills a lot of the sites that are on the market. Those that stay alive, have a really good front page design, and/or good forum design. If you have a bad blog design and good forum design the forum is going to have an active community over the blog one. And vice versa.

So, yes, this is forum/site argument can be complicated.

Moving on...

For domains that have "Forum" and similar end-names. I can't stress this enough: Keep it as strictly that.

I see a lot of sites with Forum/Board at the end - have in fact - a mainpage, a blog, and to a much more extent: Splash Page.

All of these landing pages for forum sites are SUICIDE moves.

Here's the thing, Jaxel.

Having a wordpress as a CMS or portal can mean the difference between a website that's hosted on vb4's CMS, and a website hosted on wordpress. Let me tell you an example. I write. Okay? I'm a writer. And I wrote an article on my own forum... I tried to get traffic through a site called n4g. I get negative backlash for having my article on a forum, and not a CMS, or something like Wordpress. In fact, most of my forum-posted submissions get rejected and the response to each one is a resounding "Get a CMS, you stupid piece of crap!" People can't take you seriously if you can't provide a platform that represents a magazine of sorts.

My guess is that Shoryuken wants to target a much larger gaming market. Not just limited to the niche fighting game scene - such as tournaments, fighting game tips, and whatnot. My guess is that Shoryuken wants to expand the market to fighting game news, previews, events, and what have you.

You do a great job of modding your site(s), but I feel that they're limited because for example, the CMS that you code, points directly to a forum post, and not a CMS article like vb4. That's why I stayed the hell away from vbAdvanced all this time.

That's all well and good but there's no reason the forum can't still be the article engine.

A few conditional statements in your style would make it look completely separate to your forum, you'd remove the postbits, etc and restyle the replies to be "comments".

Hacking two different pieces of software together is often overkill when something like Jaxel's portal and a bit of styling would solve it much more nicely.

That's all well and good but there's no reason the forum can't still be the article engine.

A few conditional statements in your style would make it look completely separate to your forum, you'd remove the postbits, etc and restyle the replies to be "comments".

Hacking two different pieces of software together is often overkill when something like Jaxel's portal and a bit of styling would solve it much more nicely.
You're not listening. I explicitly said that Jaxel does a great job with his coding. The problem is that not too many people will take your site seriously if you just direct your visitors from mainpage [ahem; portal] to forum. Most websites out there like N4G has an approval process that is community oriented. Okay? Once again, let me say that one more time: Community Driven.

In other words, community sites like that don't accept gaming websites that direct you from mainpage to forums, like Jaxel's mod does. Once again, I stress that I do not have a problem with Jaxel or his mods, they're great. I even like his integration better than most mods out in the market.

The problem that I have been saying is that most people don't take your site seriously if you direct them from mainpage to posts themselves like vbAdvanced or Jaxel's mod does. Most of them approve of vBCMS's posts [and I mean sites that use them], and wordpress, and if you have a customized CMS, that's a whole lot better than the latter two options I just described.

If you do not understand, then I say forget replying. Because gaming websites struggle with choosing the right CMS for their websites. Even the most successful websites aren't happy with what they have, they sometimes feel restricted with what they have and then sites like N4G reject them when they put it on a forum.

Put it this way; start ups want to start out with forums to build a community, but websites like N4G reject them because they're not using a CMS that take away the "forum" feeling. In fact, game companies don't see forums as "an authentic" or even "legit" source of information. So with this mindset, you're actually doing two birds with one stone.

Sites like TeamXbox get a lot of traffic because of the CMS its using...not because its been in business for a long time. I wish I could have a CMS just like that. Because I can upload images and there's watermarks, and there's also game info, and the posts themselves look professional. To both N4G community, game developers, and publishers.

I agree that forums can be an article engine, the point that you're missing is that many people won't take you or your site seriously if you're not using a customized CMS engine, or a blog engine. That's my entire point.

Sites like TeamXbox get a lot of traffic because of the CMS its using...not because its been in business for a long time. I wish I could have a CMS just like that. Because I can upload images and there's watermarks, and there's also game info, and the posts themselves look professional. To both N4G community, game developers, and publishers.

Hopefully SDCMS can evolve to fit such a need.
We do have a lot of gaming communities running Subdreamer CMS... some I cannot disclose but here is one that is up and coming: http://playeraffinity.com/ This site integrates with phpbb the same as is now possible with xf.

Carlos - I can't say I like N4G's attitude so much. True a good structured articles is much easier to navigate and looks much more organized. But there's no reason to look down on good articles just because they're on forum. That kind of elitist attitude really disgust me. The most useful gaming information I've read are on gamefaqs' forum.

IMO I like TeamXbox for their fast-paced coverage. Something new pops up, it's there in a matter of hours. And their site design says "ooo Xbox" all over it (I meant this to be a compliment). I don't quite agree that the cms itself really help anything that much....

A little note on Contao :) As much as I like it, it doesn't integrate with Xenforo at all. For a site that runs entirely by myself, that is ok. But for a community driven website, Contao is not the choice yet.

You're not listening.

I am listening but I think you're missing the point and not seeing the potential. You could (easily?) set Jaxel's portal up to look like a "custom CMS" where the end user would have no idea that it was actually Xenforo running it all begin the scenes. Throw a few grand at one of the superb skin designers on here (which I assume you'd do anyway if the design of the site is so crucial) and make a big donation to Jaxel and I'd imagine you could get a very professional looking "custom CMS" running with XF as the backend.

Maybe agree to disagree on this one :-)

Carlos - I can't say I like N4G's attitude so much. True a good structured articles is much easier to navigate and looks much more organized. But there's no reason to look down on good articles just because they're on forum. That kind of elitist attitude really disgust me. The most useful gaming information I've read are on gamefaqs' forum.
Try being the owner of a gaming forum. Its frustrating, if you had seen my N4G submissions that were rejected, you would ssee a few of them being on a forum.

Secondly, as for GameFAQ's, do yourself a favor and not mention that exact comment to anyone on any game site, because some sites, most gamers think that GameFAQ's forum members are idiots. In fact, NeoGAF shuns any information from GameFAQ's so be careful. I am just telling you as FYI basis, you don't want negative backlash.

Thirdly, I mentioned this before. N4G isn't the only site or community that shuns forum posts as "legit source of information." Game companies, whether its a game developer, whether its a game publisher...it doesn't matter, they don't see forums as the best place to get information.
IMO I like TeamXbox for their fast-paced coverage. Something new pops up, it's there in a matter of hours. And their site design says "ooo Xbox" all over it (I meant this to be a compliment). I don't quite agree that the cms itself really help anything that much....
Not from the SEO point of view, but users SEE your site as serious when you have custom-made CMS like TeamXbox. If you disagree, fine, but that is fact.
I am listening but I think you're missing the point and not seeing the potential. You could (easily?) set Jaxel's portal up to look like a "custom CMS" where the end user would have no idea that it was actually Xenforo running it all begin the scenes. Throw a few grand at one of the superb skin designers on here (which I assume you'd do anyway if the design of the site is so crucial) and make a big donation to Jaxel and I'd imagine you could get a very professional looking "custom CMS" running with XF as the backend.
I'm missing the point? No. You are. I am seeing the potential of a forum post as article. Jaxel's CMS, so far has shown me that it points the article from the mainpage to the forum posts themselves, that's what I have seen so far.
Maybe agree to disagree on this one :)
Its not about disagreements. You really aren't paying attention.

- I said that its okay to have a forum post act like an article.
- I said people don't take your site seriously if you are using articles on a forum.
- I said gaming companies, media corporations (doesn't matter which industry), and N4G will not take your site seriously if your article is on a forum, and will shun your site as a reliable source.
You say this... just as I check N4G and see that the big major article at the top of the page... is a vb4 forum.
I submitted a few reviews, a few previews on my forums when it was on beautiful vb3. It was not on a CMS, like most of the articles posted on N4G using vb4's vbCMS.

Just a week or two ago, I saw a forum post being approved on N4G, which is bull$#!^! Because all this time, my ideal forum network would have gotten 4000 views in a single day. That's how much I got from one of mw3blog's submissions.

All that I posted in this thread were from my personal experiences. You guys have no idea how frustrating it is... You guys have no idea what kinds of pitfalls are if you guys do exactly what you want to do. I have tried EVERY single idea in the book.

I ran an xbox website with a friend of mine - and I have been submitting each and every one of his articles, most of them are TOP stories. One of them is my very own Metal Gear Rising article. And likewise, most of the articles get linkbacks, which is something you want if you want to get to the top of google rankings. Game Companies also quoted this same site, it was on a magazine for cripes sakes. No money required. This means that the site's reputation is beyond legendary.

Keep in mind, the xbox website was using a custom CMS that allowed us to post news with game info, game screeshots, game previews, and reviews. The site was also using a custom URL structure.

I have tried posting articles on my forums. N4G approved only one of them, but the rest - its in the failed bin. I have tried marketing the posts on twitter, they all shun it.

Now, at this point I re-focused the strategy and put my own multiplatform blog as a testing ground. Seeing what works, and what doesn't. One year later, it has accumlated 6000 views in that year. That's with the ugly url structure that comes out of the box of wordpress. Some of the articles were posted on N4G, none got close to the top 5 hottest stories.

I ran another test - one vb4 forum classic, and one xenforo instance - both weren't successful even though its got MW2 on it. The xenforo one was right at the top of google, regardless of any marketing. Top keywords were MW2Forums/MW2 Forums. The vB4 one is the one that's supposed to be successful, and ironically the one the the most cash behind it.

I purchased an ad on a Black Ops website [nevermind that its Black Ops, its a call of duty community], and put vbSEO on top of my forum classic. No good results. Even with the marketing already done.

I ran yet another test - MVC3Forum. I focused all of my marketing tactics on that site alone, and on each article, 10,000+ pageviews in just 2 short months. 7000+ visitors and uniques in just 2 and a half months. This is with SEO URL's turned on. Fastest growing website that I have done thus far until....

I purchased MW3Blog and am now getting 20,000 views in just 2 and a half months alone. 15,000+ visits and uniques so far. This is wordpress with SEO URL's turned on.

MW3Blog stands as one of the best websites or ventures that I have invested because of the numbers, AND I actually managed to get one of the stories to the top 5 hottest stories. Proof.

Top Bottom