ArrowChat - Facebook Style Chat

ArrowChat - Facebook Style Chat v4.1.1

No permission to download
I am a somewhat dissatisfied customer of arrowchat simply because of the mobile situation. I have a site that 70% of users use mobile devices and fighting against Facebook is a constant problem for forum owners these days. Incidentally this one of my sites is targeting young people.

It has been mentioned in the arrowchat support forums how mobile doesn't work with sites like XF because of its inbuilt responsive design. I think all my problems would be solved if you could have the bar but code in if resolution is say <X then don't show the bar but just show a button with a link to the mobile chat. However, how would the user on a mobile device know that someone wants to have a 1 on 1 instant chat.

The other issue which I can't seem to resolve is I need to have the bar have a right margin of 100px...can't seem to do this with the css of it

Any suggestions on how all this could be done?

I think all my problems would be solved if you could have the bar but code in if resolution is say <X then don't show the bar but just show a button with a link to the mobile chat. However, how would the user on a mobile device know that someone wants to have a 1 on 1 instant chat.
I wouldn't recommend showing the bar on mobile devices at all; it isn't supported. We kept it in as an option, but I assume it'll go away eventually. However, our v1.8 update (releasing this Nov.) will solve this issue by having a floating button with the number of online users and unread messages. For now, you'll need to simply link to the mobile app.

The other issue which I can't seem to resolve is I need to have the bar have a right margin of 100px...can't seem to do this with the cos of it
You'll want to mess around with the Appearance > General Settings in the admin panel for this. There are width/padding options.

This thread isn't a good place for support, so I would recommend you open up a ticket for any future support questions: http://www.arrowchat.com/support/new-ticket.php

Thanks mate but the padding is applied to both ends and not just the right side which is what I am trying to do as I have my own "Go To Top" button that I want to use that appears on the right. Ultimately we are fighting with Facebook with forum sites now and the only way I believe to overcome this is to replicate facebook as much as possible whilst at the same time offering features with addons that facebook can't provide
1.webp

Sorry mate but the support forums are a little lacking as I also note someone else posted there about XF and the end result was all he could do was just add a link to the mobile version, which is what you have said, thanks for that, and which is what I have done in my screenshot above but not really an answer so I am interested in what other XF users have done with Arrowchat to overcome the problems with it. Don't get me wrong, I REALLY REALLY want this to work well on an XF site to beat bloody Facebook and get users

I can imagine. However, I have found out the hard way (with cometchat) that its a really bad idea to run a chat on a community without proper usergroup permissions. Hiding a script in the template while still loading the javascript for everyone can affect server load dramatically and adds security issues. Users will find out how to get into the chat even if they should not have permissions. It has been some years since I last tested out arrowchat.

Without basic usergroup permissions I would not dare to install a chat application on my servers.

I can imagine. However, I have found out the hard way (with cometchat) that its a really bad idea to run a chat on a community without proper usergroup permissions. Hiding a script in the template while still loading the javascript for everyone can affect server load dramatically and adds security issues. Users will find out how to get into the chat even if they should not have permissions. It has been some years since I last tested out arrowchat.

Without basic usergroup permissions I would not dare to install a chat application on my servers.
It's pretty simple to do and we have a guide detailed here: http://www.arrowchat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=1651

Thats not visible to guests. The system can not find any of my accounts.
The resource here does not have any installation instructions and misses a lot of information. Instead it links to your site. Which would be fine if that didnt require a login.

Thats not visible to guests. The system can not find any of my accounts.
The resource here does not have any installation instructions and misses a lot of information. Instead it links to your site. Which would be fine if that didnt require a login.
Since ArrowChat isn't free, it's assumed that you would need to have an account with us for the information to be useful. Not exactly helpful for presale information, but you can see there is a guide there which details what you'd need to do.

That indeed sounds logical, but the above example shows exactly why its useful to have such information in the open. Its helpful presale information to know if a function is only hidden and still loading for all users in the background or if it doesn't load at all.
It also is useful to be able to see if its a simple plugin install or a complex procedure. Because it makes a difference in the decision to buy a product or not.

Greetings, about to purchase this addon for my 18000 members community, i have a 'pre-sale' question
- does this download include all instructions to link the product to XF database or is this package 'Xenforo ready' ?

Greetings, about to purchase this addon for my 18000 members community, i have a 'pre-sale' question
- does this download include all instructions to link the product to XF database or is this package 'Xenforo ready' ?
Not sure what you mean by 'Xenforo ready', but it is fully compatible with Xenforo and includes installation instructions.

I mean, are Xenforo connected members listed in the chat..
Yes they are, along with the avatars they use on the site.

You can also restrict who accesses chat if you wish. Currently this isn't done through user group permissions but using a conditional in the template when adding the Arrowchat code.

This software seems promising. Just a couple of questions: Does this have group voice chat, and how is the voice chat quality and latency in comparison to TeamSpeak and other non web-based applications?

Thanks!

ArrowChat,

I've narrowed my decison down to between CometChat and ArrowChat. I tired the demo but there's an annoying error in the mobile chat version that effects landscape typing.

When the iPhone 5 is rotated in landscape, chat window jumps and you can no longer see the typing pane. You can't see what you're typing in when the iPhone is rotated in landscape.

This forces a users to rotate the iPhone 5 into portrait to be able to see what they are typing in a new message.

Maybe it's just fat thumbs but I hate typing in portrait. I'm more comfortable in landscape when typing on an iPhone. Is there anything that is being done to address this issue? It's a deal breaker for me.

Not currently, although we are planning on adding group settings in the next major update.
As usergroup permissions again did not make it in the last release, could you please consider to add it in the near future?

The demos on our site work exactly like an XenForo installation would work. It'll grab their usernames, avatars, profile links, and automatically log them in. There really is no difference.
I see you use pubnub instead of your own chat service on your own site. Is there a reason for this?

When will 1.8.1 be released? (because of needed bugfixing and announced chat room feature late-delivery)

I am interested in this however, I would like an evaluation version on my site to make sure its working. Would it be possible to give an evaluation version? I have purchased to many mods that are a waste of money.

Top Bottom