Areas that xenForo is lacking in

yoghurtfarmer

So with all the wonderful features and innovation this software brings, what are some features that you find missing/lacking?

Let's keep this discussion related to the core forum product, so no CMS/Gallery/Blogs or features that are more suitable to add-ons such as chat.

My list:

1. XML Sitemap of threads for use in Google Webmaster Tools
2. Search within thread
3. More detailed forum statistics/analytics

Though I'm aware that this thread will be more suitable after the Beta release but it doesn't hurt to begin discussions anyway.

Yeah I have used the suggestion section.

My intent for this thread was more of an overview consensus. Navigating the suggestion forum doesn't always give you a good overall impression.

In any case, if others find that there's no sense in this topic, we can just close it.

So far XF looks very good but it's extremely rudimentary. You can suggest a lot of things but to be honest, most of things people would suggest already exist in other forum software so XF developers are already aware of them, the question is why wouldn't they include some of those features to begin with? The only answer I can find in my head is that they know they will add them later but want to make money now.

For people who keep saying its only beta. Being in the software development business, I can tell you that beta usually means MOST features should be in the beta build (there are exceptions and some features can be addedd or dropped from the GOLD release) but mostly all features should be in the BETA.

As of now, XF is a new candy that everyone wants (I'm not one of them) but once you get it, you will start seeing ALL shortcomings. Even now, I was trying to reply to this thread with a few quotes by other members, I could not find that option.

I can tell you that beta usually means MOST features should be in the beta build (there are exceptions and some features can be addedd or dropped from the GOLD release) but mostly all features should be in the BETA.

And I imagine most features are in the beta build, well the features that are shipping with version 1.0.0 anyway.

Yes there are a lot of features which are included in other software and not xenForo but were they there in the first ever release? No - They have been added over time which is what will happen with xenForo.

Just give it time, other features will be added eventually.

The only answer I can find in my head is that they know they will add them later but want to make money now.
Nothing wrong with that. They are not IB. They are 2 guys who worked hard since May '10 to develop XenForo. I'd imagine mods, Peggy and Lawrence, need a little bonus as well for keeping this board sane and not going insane themselves. Time for a payday and I don't mind helping out.

Not saying there is anything wrong with wanting to make money, we live in capitalistic world. The only thing I'm saying is that I see a lot of people just blindly jump on the band wagon (Im sure they are frustrated with vB and want to move) but I'm sure some are setup for a disappointment of features once they buy it. I would buy it and gladly move from vB (I too have frustrations with it) but at current state XF is just too "flat" in features and can't even match some of the forum software that are on the lowest level of a food chain.

but once you get it, you will start seeing ALL shortcomings
And how do you know what people will and won't see?

Even now, I was trying to reply to this thread with a few quotes by other members, I could not find that option.

Click the reply link and it will quote the post, you can click it numerous times too.

Yes it is lacking a button on the editor for quotes but I think most users know the quote code. Unlike other bbcodes, quote, url, image etc don't really change over different software.

Thanks, didnt know about keep clicking on the reply and all quotes will add up in the quick reply...but then again, not very intuitive.

And how do you know what people will and won't see?
Cause I am already seeing a lot of it. I do like the speed. But then again, XF doesn't have much to run yet.

Not saying there is anything wrong with wanting to make money, we live in capitalistic world. The only thing I'm saying is that I see a lot of people just blindly jump on the band wagon (Im sure they are frustrated with vB and want to move) but I'm sure some are setup for a disappointment of features once they buy it. I would buy it and gladly move from vB (I too have frustrations with it) but at current state XF is just too "flat" in features and can't even match some of the forum software that are on the lowest level of a food chain.
Bottom line, isn't a forum just about a place to come and post and read? Features are nice but we all have different ideas of what those are to be. The core of a forum is what we have here right now....not the overbloat that has become VB & IPB. How many of ALL the features offered does everyone use? Does your forum members use, not you as an admin?

This software is addictive in it's lightweight, quick response and very LACK of extraneous features that keep everyone focused on posting. If we had blogs, and a gallery, and this that and the other, how many people would actually use them? And how much more would it cost to add and DEBUG all that?

If buying the beta doesn't suit, and it won't suit everyone, wait for the gold or even the release after that...if it still doesn't suit, then it's not for you. But this isn't vb or IPB or any other software. It's a new one from the ground up.

Well it's lacking in some features in comparison with the competition, but for a first version that is to be expected. I see XF as a Google Chrome in forum software. They have made a new benchmark in UI design, which was very important in this niche, and now they simply need to grow bigger. A lot of needed features are already suggested and no doubt they will be added in future versions. While doing that I think it's important not to go crazy and add too much. A better approach would be to keep the product stable, add only things that are really needed for a majority of users, and let the modding community take care of the rest.

So far XF looks very good but it's extremely rudimentary. You can suggest a lot of things but to be honest, most of things people would suggest already exist in other forum software so XF developers are already aware of them, the question is why wouldn't they include some of those features to begin with? The only answer I can find in my head is that they know they will add them later but want to make money now.

For people who keep saying its only beta. Being in the software development business, I can tell you that beta usually means MOST features should be in the beta build (there are exceptions and some features can be addedd or dropped from the GOLD release) but mostly all features should be in the BETA.

As of now, XF is a new candy that everyone wants (I'm not one of them) but once you get it, you will start seeing ALL shortcomings. Even now, I was trying to reply to this thread with a few quotes by other members, I could not find that option.

woo-woo, preach it!

You're not alone shyguy :)

Whilst it's almost know that software in beta is feature-locked - it almost certainly won't be in the early beta builds - even Apple are adding features in with their iOS betas.
I seem not to be hitting the same issue as you in posting quotes by other members.

He's referring to an easy way to multi-quote. There isn't one.
Yes, there is...it's not a multiquote button but even VB didn't have that til rather late in the game, version 3.6 I think I would have to go check my software to verify it. Anyway, just hit the replies you want to quote...all of them.

Top Bottom